Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 11:29 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,956,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Well I googled the population for Phoenix and Tuscon and those populations together make up only 2/7 of the population. But I guess the lack of infrastructures like highways end up making the place seem densely populated/full of traffic like New Jersey.
No.... you’re not getting it. you need to look at metropolitan areas.

AZ=7mil

Phx=5mil

Tuc=1mil

6/7 of the population in two metros that are close together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 07:37 AM

915 posts, read 1,504,984 times
Well, living in the Great Lakes State means access to water. Lots of water.

Some people live near the water or can easily drive to a lake and spend the day there.

The moral of the story is that just because someone doesn't live near an ocean doesn't mean that they don't or can't live near the water or have easy access to water.

Lakefront homes and marinas are definitely a thing in Michigan.

Don't mean to be snarky, but I just find this to be a ridiculous question. Water recreation is huge in my area and, for many, a lifestyle. It's not just limited to people who live near one of the Great Lakes or just a "summer thing". Ice Fishing is very popular with some people.

During the summer a lot of people in my area go "up north". Between Memorial Day and Labor Day, the traffic is noticeably lighter in the area, but a lot of it can be attributed to school being out as well. However, going to "the cottage" is more about getting out of town/taking a vacation and getting away from the city/normal life than "going to the beach". Going swimming/boating/tubing is likely part of the fun, but it's not the only thing that people do when they go "up north".

Old 09-22-2019, 10:35 PM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Dallas/Fort Worth while not near an ocean front has 8 or so lakes within a 75 mile radius for water recreation.
Nobody brags up DFW's reservoirs quite as much as you do. I get it. They're about the only unique recreation asset that outdoors-starved DFW has. FWIW, we camped/swam at 3 of them when we lived in the Metroplex. For the most part, I found them to be underwhelming and overrated. The only one I enjoyed was Lake Mineral Wells because, unlike most of DFW (which is about as scenic as a toxic waste dump), it's actually kinda pretty. The lake is surrounded by wooded, rolling hills, and there is a (one) nice hiking trail there. The water isn't terrible for swimming, either.

The other two, Lake Ray Roberts and Lake Lewisville, are lame. They're crowded with drunken morons on boats, the scenery blows, the camping is lousy, and the water is so grimy and murky that it absolutely sucks for swimming in. If you don't own a boat, skip 'em. They're worthless.

Here in Colorado people go to the mountains (for the most part). Not a lot of water around these parts. If you wanna hang at the lake you go to Horsetooth Reservoir west of Fort Collins, Jackson Lake State Park on the Eastern Plains, Wyoming (Glendo & Guernsey), or Lake McConaughy in Nebraska. Pueblo Reservoir is nice for boating, but there's no official swim beach.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:32 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,387,503 times
Busted, you caught us. The rest of the country that doesn't have access to shoreline actually has nothing to do, at all. We all simply pirate photos on social media about beaches and sit around commiserating about how we don't have beaches.

I'll agree with snoopygirlmi that this is a ridiculous question.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:02 AM

11,085 posts, read 7,146,060 times
Where I moved to - away from the coast - people are definitely busy. Busy keeping up with the Joneses.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:16 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
In NJ, workers in malls, stores, or restaurants will always say that the summer is less busy for them since everyone is down to the shore. In fact, throughout the whole summer in preparation for the holiday season, malls in North Jersey were renovating escalators like crazy to a point where I had to walk far to access the nearest staircase or elevator.

What is it like in the middle of the country where people have no access to the shore in the summer? Do they have a famous getaway spot, not like a regular vacation, but I mean some sort of equivalent of people staying at the Jersey Shore all summer?
Well "the shore" is the recreational and vacation place people in your area go during the summer, so what you're asking isn't so much about going to the specific ocean, but just does your area empty out more with people going to their vacation spots during the summer or are you a vacation spot yourself.

If you happen to live near the shore you can go there on vacation, for the majority of the country that isn't right by the shore they could care less about it, everyone has their own vacation spots. Lakes, cities, mountains, forests, etc.

In Chicago people leave and go to the shores in Michigan or up into Wisconsin a lot, but that's completely overwhelmed by the number of people who travel into Chicago on vacation during the summer.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:05 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Well "the shore" is the recreational and vacation place people in your area go during the summer, so what you're asking isn't so much about going to the specific ocean, but just does your area empty out more with people going to their vacation spots during the summer or are you a vacation spot yourself.

If you happen to live near the shore you can go there on vacation, for the majority of the country that isn't right by the shore they could care less about it, everyone has their own vacation spots. Lakes, cities, mountains, forests, etc.

In Chicago people leave and go to the shores in Michigan or up into Wisconsin a lot, but that's completely overwhelmed by the number of people who travel into Chicago on vacation during the summer.
Yes definitely. Chicago is blessed to have Majestic Lake Michigan ... like close to 1000-miles from the actual ocean.

The Great Lakes can make a city feel coastal. Chicago having beaches and harbors for the public. Is certainly a plus.

On a bit f a s ad note though. The Great Lakes rise and fall over years and even months. From a historic low in 2013 to all but Lake Michigan/Huron .... at new record highs. Erosion of beaches is occurring. Chicago is lo experiencing it as the lake is up 6-feer from the 2013 low. Adding 6-inches this summer. Waves over lp walking concrete areas that link like they are a beach with waves on now in many spots. A couple beaches prescriclly disappeared and one became like a island with its meddle filled in.

Of course not all disappeared, but all shrunk and more susceptible to increasing erosion and damage.

Montrose Beach 6-years ago. Early morning after
daily beach cleaning leaves their marks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul_lwsv8S9U

The difference in a few years of lake Michigan rising.
2017 already water intrusion creating narrower strip of beach.
But here full of people in its blue waters and on the sand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XZlJPnxpWQ

This one shows more the park next door to the beach (what's left)
and harbor with a glimpse of the skyline.

At starting just before the minute mark into the video.
From a couple months ago. The beach literally has the lake in the middle of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzAskvKM-Go

Old 09-23-2019, 10:38 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
We have no ocean within 2+ hours of Seattle, but we have Puget Sound and a lot of lakes. With our weather people don't flock to the water in summer. It's rarely over about 80, and some summers like 2019 it may even rain in July and August. The population increases dramatically in summer from the international tourists and the thousands of Alaskan Cruise passengers.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:44 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,698,572 times
In the Twin Cities, everyone goes "up north." Which is slang for, I/my parents/my uncle owns a cabin on a lake that is 2-5 hours away, and we are spending all weekend and perhaps even taking a 3 day weekend at the lake. I know of some people who use all their vacation to be able to take a 3-4 day weekend every weekend in the short 13 week summer.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:00 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
In NYC/New England, everyone rushes to Cape Cod, Long Island and Maine for beach trips/weekends. In Upstate NY they used Lake Ontario's Fair Haven, Sandy Island Beach and the many lakes that surround Upstate as swimming spots.

My many NJ friends would go to the Jersey Shore and sometimes for an upgrade would head out to the Hamptons, or marthas Vineyard or even OBX for the weekends when they wanted a nice trip to the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.