U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Best Desert Scenery State
California 3 3.90%
Nevada 3 3.90%
Utah 25 32.47%
Arizona 33 42.86%
New Mexico 13 16.88%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 02:21 AM

950 posts, read 295,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
The drive between Vegas and Reno was not all that spectacular. So that strikes out Nevada. Nevada does have nice features near Vegas though, but I don't think it makes up for the rest of the state:

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.5029...!7i7932!8i3966
NV-318

https://goo.gl/maps/hC2ieJ2nAc7kdaqr7
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 03:51 AM

4,739 posts, read 3,819,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
I took the US 95. The only somewhat interesting thing I saw was Walker Lake.

Old 09-25-2019, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I have never seen an ugly desert. And I have seen them all.
Driving through New Mexico, I wanted to bang on people's doors and ask them what they were doing inside when all ..... THIS ..... was outside.

I have no idea why the desert appeals to me so much.
Maybe you should come join us, we have plenty of it. However as a test:

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.3282...7i13312!8i6656

What do you think about that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Maybe because you're from a lush region? I love the desert too. There's a certain feeling you get when you stare into it. Like solitude, but good. Deserts are usually very open, so you can view far with your naked eye. It kind of reminds you that we live in a big world.
My favorite thing about the deserts is the naked landscapes. With next to no plants, I like to imagine and try to figure out how the landscape is carved. When I take road trips I always stare at mountains or the way the flat land slopes and think about it. It puts things into perspective how much effort it took to get things where they currently are in nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
The size of the sky affects your perception as well. I've lived in desert climates most of my life and get clusterphobic back east due to the trees.
I have experienced this as well back in Maryland and Florida. The greenery is a shock factor at first, but then it starts to wear off, and I miss the skies of back home.

Old 09-25-2019, 11:05 AM

7,135 posts, read 3,932,000 times
Quote:
Maybe you should come join us, we have plenty of it [ugly deserts].
The ugliest thing about a desert is usually the highway plowed and paved through it. The ecosystem and soil are so disturbed and the hard pavement drains a bit more water to the edges so it is a distorted view. Generally, getting off the main road or interstate is essential to really seeing the desert.
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8562...!5m1!1e4?hl=en

Quote:
My favorite thing about the deserts is the naked landscapes. With next to no plants, I like to imagine and try to figure out how the landscape is carved.
I agree -- the geology is fascinating -- both what you see and what you don't see. The Rio Grande Rift is still active and spreading apart --- a giant crack. Oil companies have drilled over 20k feet before hitting bedrock in places -- it is mostly filled in with sand and volcanic ash/debris except in the river gorge near Taos.
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.4763...!5m1!1e4?hl=en

And the sky and the long, far off horizon are huge players in the scenery. I love to watch a thunderstorm cross the desert 60 miles away.

Old 09-26-2019, 03:10 PM

14,239 posts, read 8,903,518 times
Quote:
Maybe you should come join us, we have plenty of it. However as a test:

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.3282...7i13312!8i6656

What do you think about that?.............
It's odd you should show me that piece of landscape......

In 1965 I was driving through Stanfield, AZ, when my 1956 Chevy melted down. That began a great adventure for me. I met the people my age in town, worked on my car, fell in love with a girl and found a home of sorts, at least for a while.
When I came to visit the deputy sheriff (Joe Leal) used to let me stay in the jail. There was never anyone else in there, so I just came and went as I wished.

In the end the girl broke my heart, the Chevy quit forever, I went off to save the world from Communism and Arizona gradually became a place I used to know.
But once upon a time Stanfield and Casa Grande was home...... sort of.

Old 09-26-2019, 03:55 PM

1,049 posts, read 641,511 times
You know what drives me crazy? When movies/shows depict Texas or New Mexico with saguaro cacti.

And there are almost zero on the California side of the Sonoran desert. Very few. Just about all of them are in Arizona and Mexico. The saguaro, to me, is the #1 logo of the desert.

Arizona all the way.

Old 09-26-2019, 06:36 PM

18,069 posts, read 4,347,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
You know what drives me crazy? When movies/shows depict Texas or New Mexico with saguaro cacti.

And there are almost zero on the California side of the Sonoran desert. Very few. Just about all of them are in Arizona and Mexico. The saguaro, to me, is the #1 logo of the desert.

Arizona all the way.
ya that really drives me krazy too.

Old 09-26-2019, 09:57 PM

13,028 posts, read 15,420,225 times
Arizona

Old 09-27-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
The ugliest thing about a desert is usually the highway plowed and paved through it. The ecosystem and soil are so disturbed and the hard pavement drains a bit more water to the edges so it is a distorted view. Generally, getting off the main road or interstate is essential to really seeing the desert.
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8562...!5m1!1e4?hl=en

I agree -- the geology is fascinating -- both what you see and what you don't see. The Rio Grande Rift is still active and spreading apart --- a giant crack. Oil companies have drilled over 20k feet before hitting bedrock in places -- it is mostly filled in with sand and volcanic ash/debris except in the river gorge near Taos.
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.4763...!5m1!1e4?hl=en

And the sky and the long, far off horizon are huge players in the scenery. I love to watch a thunderstorm cross the desert 60 miles away.
I picked an uglier part of the state on purpose, most of Arizona's southern third looks like that, and yes with freeways because everyone needs a 3k square foot house with a pool and wide roads.

Tucson's the prettiest of the southern third, being close to the Sonora heart, but the real Sonora heart is in Sells, but that's on the reservation so you can't really just... live there. Unless you are a part of the reservation of course.

The skies rock. And the rocks out our way are so fly. Failed attempt at being funny but if you prefer looking at things other than skies and rocks you aren't going to like it here. Especially since a lot of our days there is not a cloud in the sky, or a Grand Canyon next to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post

Arizona all the way.
Texas is THE worst at this. They barely have a claim to desert climates as it is (El Paso alone), yet love to try to make it so that they have these iconic Old Western deserts like in the movies, but that belongs to the states a bit further West.

Old 09-28-2019, 01:16 PM

1,049 posts, read 641,511 times
Quote:
I picked an uglier part of the state on purpose, most of Arizona's southern third looks like that, and yes with freeways because everyone needs a 3k square foot house with a pool and wide roads.

Tucson's the prettiest of the southern third, being close to the Sonora heart, but the real Sonora heart is in Sells, but that's on the reservation so you can't really just... live there. Unless you are a part of the reservation of course.

The skies rock. And the rocks out our way are so fly. Failed attempt at being funny but if you prefer looking at things other than skies and rocks you aren't going to like it here. Especially since a lot of our days there is not a cloud in the sky, or a Grand Canyon next to you.

Texas is THE worst at this. They barely have a claim to desert climates as it is (El Paso alone), yet love to try to make it so that they have these iconic Old Western deserts like in the movies, but that belongs to the states a bit further West.
Nitpicking here. Tucson is smack dab IN the Sonoran Desert, and borders both versions of the Saguaro National Monument. One of those is directly west of the city, and one directly east. It also houses the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum in its city limits.

Tucson is more Sonoran Desert than any place with any meaningful population. I lived there for 2 years and my mom still does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or