U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Best Desert Scenery State
California 3 3.90%
Nevada 3 3.90%
Utah 25 32.47%
Arizona 33 42.86%
New Mexico 13 16.88%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 02:00 PM

1,477 posts, read 1,757,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
You know what drives me crazy? When movies/shows depict Texas or New Mexico with saguaro cacti.

And there are almost zero on the California side of the Sonoran desert. Very few. Just about all of them are in Arizona and Mexico. The saguaro, to me, is the #1 logo of the desert.

Arizona all the way.
Nobody is bothered by that more than New Mexicans, it offends us and we resent it. It's ignorant and is usually people from other parts of the country who have no clue about the Southwest.

New Mexicans would rather be identified by our state plant, the yucca. Few things are as iconic as the shots of White Sands with a yucca sticking out of the vast expanse of gypsum.

New Mexico has tons to be proud of and lots of things that make us unique and iconic, desert or otherwise. We don't need the saguaro or to purloin other states' icons and culture. We have enough of our own, thank you.

As for the thread question, New Mexico all the way!

From the Malpais to White Sands to the mesas, escarpments, volcanoes and petroglyphs of Albuquerque to the red rocks of northwestern New Mexico to Acoma Sky City on its cliff to the majestic shapes of Tent Rocks, Cabezon, Camel Rock and Shiprock to the ruins of places like Chaco Canyon and Abo, to Ghost Ranch and the landscape around Abiquiu that inspired Georgia O'Keeffe, nothing and no place can top New Mexico in desert scenery as far as I'm concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 06:11 PM

950 posts, read 295,336 times
I'm partial to the grassy high desert of Nevada with mountains interspersed everywhere, but I definitely gotta give it to Arizona just for the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley. Otherwise it's a tie between CA NV and AZ and I don't know much about the NM desert so let me just look that up... and... Yep. Beautiful as well.

Old 09-28-2019, 06:17 PM

950 posts, read 295,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I took the US 95. The only somewhat interesting thing I saw was Walker Lake.
Ah indeed. That's the only efficient way between the cities. There's a plan to extend I-11 up to Reno from Vegas along the 95 corridor. Interestingly the link I posted was right next to the Alien research center where they just had one of those Area 51 festivals.

Old Yesterday, 12:38 AM

4,739 posts, read 3,819,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Nitpicking here. Tucson is smack dab IN the Sonoran Desert, and borders both versions of the Saguaro National Monument. One of those is directly west of the city, and one directly east. It also houses the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum in its city limits.

Tucson is more Sonoran Desert than any place with any meaningful population. I lived there for 2 years and my mom still does.
As another poster said, the best desert scenery is untouched by man. No freeways, no houses. What those Saguaro national parks look like is what we once were, til we messed with things. And some parts of the Sonora are just not as good for them, like Phoenix and Yuma who can and do grow them, they are native, just not as lush.

Old Today, 08:57 AM

589 posts, read 87,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
AZ is amazing! So beautiful.

So hot though
Yeah, I think deserts tend to be hot......

Old Today, 09:00 AM

589 posts, read 87,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I have never seen an ugly desert. And I have seen them all.
Driving through New Mexico, I wanted to bang on people's doors and ask them what they were doing inside when all ..... THIS ..... was outside.

I have no idea why the desert appeals to me so much.
I'm the same way....I think its the ultimate desolation....combined with the vastness and the appearance of nothing being there when the beauty is incredible if you just stop to look.....

Old Today, 01:37 PM

1,049 posts, read 641,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
I'm the same way....I think its the ultimate desolation....combined with the vastness and the appearance of nothing being there when the beauty is incredible if you just stop to look.....
There is some mysticism to the desert. And often it is accompanied by Native American culture, which is also spiritual and mysterious. These things take you outside of your normal, day to day, modern life and make you wonder a bit. It's definitely hard to describe.

I certainly have an affinity for the Sonoran desert, loved to be out on the trails, stopping and listening. It's easy to get attached to it. Yet, it's also easy to readjust once you're not in the middle of it. Pretty unique.

Old Today, 01:42 PM

10,628 posts, read 13,315,244 times
I don't like deserts. I will abstain from voting.

Old Today, 03:12 PM

4,739 posts, read 3,819,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Yeah, I think deserts tend to be hot......
Even "cold" deserts can get 90+ in the summer or low 100s, but much, much colder winter temperatures. I put cold in quotes because many of what people referred to as a cold desert, like in Washington, is not a desert but semi-arid. And we can add Colorado to this poll because semi-arid is the populated eastern half of Colorado. And Idaho... and Wyoming... and Oregon... but they aren't deserts by technical definition and do not belong here. Canyons are not the qualifier, the amount of rain you get is. Hot deserts outnumber cold deserts in this country.

Granted the 90s out this way are nice, good temperatures, I wouldn't complain. 95 in Arizona is not 95 in Florida if you catch my drift...

To be a desert you have to have less than 10" of rain annually. That's the criteria. Phoenix gets 8", and Vegas gets 4". Tucson barely qualifies, at 10". I believe ABQ is also at 10". North American deserts are actually fairly lush compared to deserts in other parts of the world. Many parts of Central Asia have deserts of less than 1/2" of rain a year.

Looking at Tucson and ABQ if your area may have weird rock features and open skies but still has native grasslands then no, you aren't a desert. ABQ is on the border of the Plains and they have grasslands like the Plains do, but they are an exception. Or if it just looks more lush, then you aren't a desert. Out this way we cannot grow grass, only trees and shrubbery and cacti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I don't like deserts. I will abstain from voting.
You can also abstain from commenting, just for future knowledge. It's not productive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or