U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 12:01 PM

1,040 posts, read 462,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I know a lot of ppl who moved out @ 22.

They are in their 40's now and still don't own anything.

Not that there is anything wrong with renting, but you are basically paying someone else's mortgage for them
I agree, apartment living can suck with the rules and throwing away your own money to pay somebody else's mortgage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 12:05 PM

9,877 posts, read 13,725,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Because I am worried I won't ever make it out of NJ and my parents' house due to living costs around the country being too high. I never hear about anyone moving at 22 or 23. People either move out at 18 or way or older than 23.
Truthfully I'd live with them and bank your money so you can stay in NJ if you want.

I sucked it up for the most part @ my parents' … the reward for having my own house was worth all of it.

If you want to leave NJ, then do it, but if not, there's will, there's a way.

I wanted to stay on LI SO BADLY I did everything in power to make that happen & that just so happened to be living with mom & dad for a bit.

People do live here. They figure it out.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Truthfully I'd live with them and bank your money so you can stay in NJ if you want.

I sucked it up for the most part @ my parents' … the reward for having my own house was worth all of it.

If you want to leave NJ, then do it, but if not, there's will, there's a way.

I wanted to stay on LI SO BADLY I did everything in power to make that happen & that just so happened to be living with mom & dad for a bit.

People do live here. They figure it out.
My 25 year old brother loves NJ to death, but in contrast, he hate our parents. He will move out for an apartment when his friends are going to be ready to roommate with him (probably Jan 2020), but I think he should go for a house now that he has a lot saved up and has a six-figure salary.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:43 PM

1,592 posts, read 960,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Most people that live with their parents beyond 22, even though they may love them very much, are typically doing it out of not being clear on what they want out of life yet. They haven't met a life partner, are still figuring out their career, and might be paying off school debt. In other words, it's somewhat independent of their love for their parents. Even if you dearly love your parents, at some point you're going to be bothered by some of their ways if you are an adult living in close quarters.
Push 22 back to 24/25, and I will agree. But a lot of times, especially nowadays with increased costs, it's normal for even the most talented people who know what they want to do with their lives to live with their parents for a couple years after college and work their first job, and build up savings for their own place.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Push 22 back to 24/25, and I will agree. But a lot of times, especially nowadays with increased costs, it's normal for even the most talented people who know what they want to do with their lives to live with their parents for a couple years after college and work their first job, and build up savings for their own place.
This.

I find most young ppl living with their parents actually quite ambitious, probably even moreso than those who move out right away.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
But I want to move out at 22/23!! Can I do it? (Do I have to be married too?)

Old 09-23-2019, 12:47 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,084,429 times
Quote:
That's not true.

I had a job @ 22 and paid all my bills. I knew what I wanted. I lived with my parents so that I could buy a house and not be stuck renting (why pay someone else's mortgage instead of my own?)

Many people who live with their parents have the mindset I did. I was extremely ambitious so I could bank as much $$ as I could to buy property
Perhaps I chose my words poorly. What I meant to imply is that contrary to the OP's insinuation, most aren't living with their parents based on how much they like/dislike them, but rather based on the transient nature of their current life stage.

You're correct, I did not mean to imply they don't know what they want to do, I meant to imply that their life is in a state of known change (buying a house, marriage, new job, etc.) that getting one's own place isn't in their best interest at that moment. Good call out.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Perhaps I chose my words poorly. What I meant to imply is that contrary to the OP's insinuation, most aren't living with their parents based on how much they like/dislike them, but rather based on the transient nature of their current life stage.

You're correct, I did not mean to imply they don't know what they want to do, I meant to imply that their life is in a state of known change (buying a house, marriage, new job, etc.) that getting one's own place isn't in their best interest at that moment. Good call out.
My brother is trying to move out, but his friends are going through a "transient stage", so when they figure their lives out, they will roommate with my brother.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
My brother is trying to move out, but his friends are going through a "transient stage", so when they figure their lives out, they will roommate with my brother.
but the thing is … if you need to rely on someone else to be able to afford your rent, should you really be renting?

Roommates come & go. People get married. Lose jobs. Family tragedies happen and sometimes ppl have to move back with their parents.

Your brother should be able to afford the apartment on his own. Want to live with roommates, that's fine. but he should make sure he has plenty of $$ saved in case of unforeseen circumstances.

I see people all the time move in with friends to share the rent then they are left high & dry when the rooomate moves out and they can't find another for months, if @ all.

Old 09-23-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
but the thing is … if you need to rely on someone else to be able to afford your rent, should you really be renting?

Roommates come & go. People get married. Lose jobs. Family tragedies happen and sometimes ppl have to move back with their parents.

Your brother should be able to afford the apartment on his own. Want to live with roommates, that's fine. but he should make sure he has plenty of $$ saved in case of unforeseen circumstances.

I see people all the time move in with friends to share the rent then they are left high & dry when the rooomate moves out and they can't find another for months, if @ all.
Exactly, roommates are unreliable. They will suddenly get a new relationship or lose their job.

And I agree with you, my brother's six-figure salary should allow him to afford a NJ apartment on his own. I think he is kind of dumb and wasting his time in this toxic household. He just move to some cheaper equivalent of NJ

I definitely don't have the prestige on my resume to get his kind of salary, but that's why I prefer a low cost of living area like New Mexico, Arizona, Idaho, or some random semi-rural town in the Northwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or