U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 04:23 PM

26 posts, read 1,690 times

Advertisements

Oh cool, thank you. It really is dear to my heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 04:27 PM

Wow, I appreciate that. You confirmed one thing I was concerned about in Houston/Dallas, the aesthetics. Thanks

Old Today, 04:28 PM

Lol... noted.
I guess I need to plan a visit.

Old Today, 04:31 PM

Thank you, it's just that everything is soooo subjective but definitely appreciating the feedback.

Old Today, 04:36 PM

Lol, thank you.
I know I said mountains which makes NC stand out to me but I just want a picturesque place. It could be mountains, lakes, beaches, thick forests...I want something different from what I see in South Florida (Palm trees, golf courses, marshes, small trees and shrubs here and there)... not much charm and interesting architecture at all.

Old Today, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm surprised that Charlotte wasn't listed.
Well, in the beginning I was torn between Charlotte and Raleigh but after doing some research, it sounded like Charlotte was pretty but lacked culture; a lot of sources said that it lacked identity and was "trying to be like ATL;" so it got etched out for me. What do you think about this?

Old Today, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Atlanta metro is only an hour from the mountains. It's no Salt lake City or anything, but not too bad a drive!
That's true... thank you, not far from TN either, I heard some nice mountain scenery is up there also.

Old Today, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VietInKC View Post
Out of those cities, would pick Houston. It fits all the criteria except maybe Natural Beauty, though I think it's pretty green in parts. Dallas also pretty much on the same level on all of those except since you included black culture, I think Houston edges it out.
Okay thank you, noted.

Old Today, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
Greenville,SC. Any where in NC will have kinda long winters IMO. Its in the 30s, low 40sF for the high for several days throughout the winter. And they get on average 8-10 inches of snow per year , way more above 4000ft. SC isn't as bad, but still too cold for me in the winter. I've lived near the Greenville area for 3 years and it has grown a good bit, especially downtown Greenville.

Paris Mountain is a small mountain about 20-25 minutes from downtown. Bigger mountains anywhere from 40 minutes away and up in NC, TN, and GA if you don't mind driving a 1-3 hours.

Okay, I appreciate the suggestion.... haven't thought about SC.

Old Today, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Well, you know Dallas is the US's premier skiing city according to some of the C-D homers.

Honestly out of all the cities the OP listed, Atlanta's probably the best choice. It's fairly lush, closer to mountains (about an hour to the Southern Appalachians), and has a little more of a 4-season climate than DFW or Houston.

Raleigh's in kind of a no-man's land. Not close to either mountains or the ocean, but within driving distance to both. Hot, humid summers, and not much of a winter. Raleigh is plenty green and has a ton of tree cover though.

I lived in DFW for a number of years and scenic is not a word I would use to describe it. It's a hotter, more humid version of Kansas with a few more trees. Compared to Atlanta, Raleigh, and Houston it's not lush. The Metroplex dries up nicely in the summertime heat, and anything that isn't irrigated turns yellow or brown from July 'til late February/early March. It's an outdoor-lover's purgatory. The hiking is pathetic, and there are no mountains of any consequence within several hundred miles. There are a handful of reservoirs, but the ones I went to honestly didn't impress me. They aren't all that scenic, the water is generally crap for swimming, and the camping is weak sauce.

Houston is green and lush, but it's also hot and humid and has no real winter. It's flatter than a sheet of plywood and big chunks of the city are ridiculously flood-prone. The hiking trails look mildly interesting - if you're into hiking for miles without any noticeable elevation change. It's even further from mountains than DFW is. It IS close to the gulf, but the beaches in that part of Texas are pretty underwhelming compared to the eastern parts of the gulf coast.

Okay, lol, interesting.
I like tree cover and would definitely appreciate some challenge and views on a hike... ATL seems like a good choice for real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or