Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is most important to you about a city when choosing to relocate there?
Crime 15 12.93%
Cleanliness 3 2.59%
Friendliness 12 10.34%
Recreational and Leisure activites 39 33.62%
Cost of Living 26 22.41%
other??? 21 18.10%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 10:56 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,624,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmomof3 View Post
I too am looking for a great place to live. Though San Diego is beautiful, I wouldn't say the crime rate is low. I grew up in Southern California. It is gorgous and great weather BUT.. very smoggy, crime seems to be high, VERY expensive and extremely busy and packed. It depends on what you want in a city.

To me, climate, cost, school systems, and crime are very important. I lived in Bailey Colorado and a suberb of Denver and absotely loved it, but the winters are very cold and snowy and it's expensive.

Rebecca
San Diego is the safest city in America over 1 million and the 5th or 6th safest over 500,000; it's crime rate is fairly low for such a large city. It's always been one of the safest big cities in America, which is pretty good considering it's border location and extremely small police force. Where exactly in SoCal did you grow up? SD's air is pretty clean and it's not that crowded or packed, at least compared to LA/OC/IE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 11:10 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,945,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmomof3 View Post
I too am looking for a great place to live. Though San Diego is beautiful, I wouldn't say the crime rate is low. I grew up in Southern California. It is gorgous and great weather BUT.. very smoggy, crime seems to be high, VERY expensive and extremely busy and packed. It depends on what you want in a city.

To me, climate, cost, school systems, and crime are very important. I lived in Bailey Colorado and a suberb of Denver and absotely loved it, but the winters are very cold and snowy and it's expensive.

Rebecca
Yea i'm gonna have to second that thought(poster before me), San Diego constantly ranks in the top couple safest big cities in the US, known for being very safe for its size. And compared to LA and even here in Seattle, not as packed as it could be.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:26 PM

694 posts, read 2,650,979 times
San Fransisco in the 60's
Orange County in the 70's
Chicago in the 80's
San Diego in the 90'
If I could afford it I would go with Santa Barbra now.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:36 PM

19 posts, read 53,183 times
I need vibrancy, a lot of people and a lot of excitement.

If I wanted to live in a clean, slow, boring suburban place I would live in Orange County, San Diego or Raleigh, North Carolina.

I like LA for it's excitement, opportunity and excitement. Give me LA, NY, SF, London or Paris any day!!!

Old 04-25-2008, 03:01 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,287,640 times
Central Oregon coast; Smith River, California; northern Washington state (Mt. Vernon, Sequim, Port Townsend?). Gotta have cool weather, natural beauty, not too crowded,safe and the ocean nearby. Within a fairly easy drive to a larger town with amenities like good restaurants, bookstore, movies, medical facilities, Lowes/Home Depot.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:04 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,581,003 times
A small town within an hours drive of Dallas..

Old 04-25-2008, 03:14 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,155,314 times
If someone was foolish enough to pay me the cost of living adjustment...

San Diego! For many of the reasons already mentioned. I don't need to be near the beach, I just want an endless spring/summer. If I never see another below-50 degree day, it will be too soon. Plus I'd want to become one of those "annoying" Californians that head up to Vegas every so often.

On the other hand, if I had my own home business...

I would choose from a plethora of mid-sized Midwestern cities for a spring/summer residence : Columbus, Milwaukee, Madison and, yes, Detroit come to mind. I've appreciated the friendly attitude I experienced during my travels through the Midwest. The relatively low cost of living would also be an incentive. Then I would "winter" someplace much milder: Austin, San Antonio, possibly New Orleans. I can live with wearing a light jacket on Christmas Day as opposed to a heavy coat.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:20 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,796,777 times
Texas, the Lone Star State!

Old 04-26-2008, 02:00 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,119,144 times
San Diego - great weather

Old 04-26-2008, 02:50 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,580,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danco View Post
San Fransisco in the 60's
Orange County in the 70's
Chicago in the 80's
San Diego in the 90'
If I could afford it I would go with Santa Barbra now.
Nice list, very evident that places do change, I would say if I had $5,000,000 it would be Santa Barbara today but not in 10 years. Even the illegal immigration issue and related crime is hitting SB hard, one of the most expensive safest and beautiful city in the nation. For the author of this thread I currently live in Fort Collins, CO ranked #1 best place to live by money magazine and will be moving next year myself! It really depends it's an array of aspects Weather/Jobs/Crime/Housing/etc but there is no perfect city and it comes down to what is more important to you, say you didn't like Silicon Valley but they paid you $100,000 a year would you go? Or say you loved the Rocky mountains and the vibe in Boulder, CO but you were waiting tables would you go? Or say you love Santa Barbara, CA and was making $50,000 a decent wage and able to afford a house but after mortgage (as you know its pricey there) it doesn't leave you with much would you go? What are your priorities? And what are certain things you detest such as allergies? You will find that there are better choices but not an "utopia". Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.