U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 06:35 PM

6,649 posts, read 6,638,236 times

Advertisements

Philly is across the Delaware Water Gap from NJ, and Trenton is the opposite side from PA.

El Paso borders New Mexico and Mexico

Detroit borders Canada, I think the town is called Windsor

St Paul is really close to Wisconsin border

Omaha is across the river from Iowa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 06:47 PM

5,060 posts, read 1,959,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post

Omaha is across the river from Iowa
Carter Lake, Iowa, is on the Nebraska side of the River, and actually surrounded by Omaha.

Old 09-30-2019, 11:32 AM
sub

953 posts, read 479,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Northern Kentucky, and the Louisville area are different from the rest of Kentucky anyway. Northern KY has more of a Midwestern feel than south.
Sorta.
I never could tell much of a difference. All of Kentucky seems about the same except for the eastern hills which becomes decidedly Appalachian. Louisville reminds much more of an upper-south Memphis rather than any city in the midwest. That's just the vibe always get from it. I mean, it's in much better shape than Memphis, but doesn't feel midwestern in any way. If anything, the lower portions of the midwest feel more southern than the upper south feeling midwest. I know that could open a can of worms on this forum, but that's just how I see it.

Along the lines of not realizing what borders what, I knew all those northeastern cities in different states were close to each other, but that closeness didn't really hit home until I drove through that area a few times. Philly, New York, Baltimore, D.C., etc. Not much real estate at all between.

Old 09-30-2019, 12:16 PM

4,575 posts, read 2,698,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Carter Lake, Iowa, is on the Nebraska side of the River, and actually surrounded by Omaha.
How interesting. It's clearly a case of the river changing course but I feel like at some point the residents should just vote to join NE. I don't understand why weird things like the similar area in MO continue to exist. It just sounds like much more of a PITA to deal with than the nostalgia is worth. Granted it would be harder to work out but places like Northwest Angle, MN and Point Roberts, WA should just become Canadian.

Old 09-30-2019, 12:22 PM

515 posts, read 163,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
How interesting. It's clearly a case of the river changing course but I feel like at some point the residents should just vote to join NE. I don't understand why weird things like the similar area in MO continue to exist. It just sounds like much more of a PITA to deal with than the nostalgia is worth. Granted it would be harder to work out but places like Northwest Angle, MN and Point Roberts, WA should just become Canadian.
It's really not. They just cross the bridge into Council Bluffs for your local government stuff.

Probably more expense to redraw boundaries and all of that than to just continue on as is.

Old 09-30-2019, 01:48 PM

1,057 posts, read 643,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Conversely, on the Chicago side you can step right across the street and get fireworks, discounts goods/lower taxes on almost everything, gambling, sports betting.... It would actually be interesting to live over there. It's an interesting dynamic as you have an expensive, world class city on one side, and basically a free for all haven for everything you can't get in Chicago/Illinois all on the other side. Don't think many other major cities have this advantage. At least comparing to NYC/LA/SF
Well, it's not a nice area.

Also, this is a pretty good reason there are so many guns in Chicago. Laws in Indiana are super loose, easy to buy there and bring them over.

Old 09-30-2019, 01:51 PM

1,057 posts, read 643,861 times
I always thought it was interesting that even though Iowa borders Illinois to the west, the Iowan Quad Cities are NORTH of the Illinois Quad cities. The Mississippi runs east/west there.

And...Yuma AZ is actually south of the California border. Wrap your head around that one. Go straight north of Yuma for a hot second, and you are in California.

Old 09-30-2019, 03:11 PM

7,174 posts, read 6,410,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
It's really not. They just cross the bridge into Council Bluffs for your local government stuff.

Probably more expense to redraw boundaries and all of that than to just continue on as is.
After reading Cebaun's post I looked up Carter Lake, IA and apparently Nebraska went to the US Supreme Court concerning this area in either the 1890s or 1910's (two conflicting reports) and the Court ruled in favor of Iowa keeping Carter Lake.

Old 09-30-2019, 03:34 PM

1,051 posts, read 371,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
I always thought it was interesting that even though Iowa borders Illinois to the west, the Iowan Quad Cities are NORTH of the Illinois Quad cities. The Mississippi runs east/west there.

And...Yuma AZ is actually south of the California border. Wrap your head around that one. Go straight north of Yuma for a hot second, and you are in California.

Just like you go South to cross into Canada from Detroit. Boating on the Detroit River is actually the closest I've ever been to Canada.

Old 09-30-2019, 05:37 PM

6,649 posts, read 6,638,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
interesting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or