U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:46 AM

1,541 posts, read 651,383 times

Advertisements

What do you think are some major cities that most people, meaning the general population (not us fellow well informed urbanists) don't realize that the city limits (to be precise) border other states?

For example, I think most people in general realize that NYC city limits border New Jersey. Or that DC city limits border Virginia and Maryland.

I don't think most people realize that Chicago borders Indiana, or that Charlotte borders South Carolina.

Please keep this specifically to city limits as the parameters, not metros that border a state.

What are some that you can think of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:57 AM

659 posts, read 545,723 times
Portland - washington

Louisville - indiana

Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM

792 posts, read 874,803 times
St. Louis- There's an East St. Louis, but its actually in Illinois, not Missouri. They see it as the "main Missouri City" unlike Kansas City, which is clear and more well-known in that it borders Kansas.

El Paso- Probably more famous for bordering "old" Mexico than New Mexico

Reno- A Couple portions do touch the CA border

Fort Smith, AR- Oklahoma

Omaha- Iowa

Fargo- Minnesota

Duluth- Wisconsin

Chattanooga- Georgia (more so than Memphis, which many know well of its border with Mississippi)

Augusta, GA- South Carolina (more so than Savannah, which is well known for the same river it lies on thanks to all the I-95 travelers)

Virginia Beach- North Carolina

East Providence- Massachusetts

Elizabeth, NJ and Perth Amboy- New York

Wilmington, DE- New Jersey (more so than Philly with NJ, although some see Wilmington as they leave the NJ Turnpike and cross over the DMB)

Weirton, WV- Ohio AND Pennsylvania (many believe it only borders OH like Wheeling)

Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM

2,291 posts, read 1,540,222 times
I never knew that Minneapolis/St Paul practically borders Wisconsin.

Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM

1,340 posts, read 576,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
I never knew that Minneapolis/St Paul practically borders Wisconsin.
Huh? I know itís been years since Iíve last been there, but I never recall Minneapolis being near the Wisconsin border?

Memphis with both Arkansas and Mississippi, and Toledo with Michigan are the only others Iíve been to that come to mind that havenít already been listed.

Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM

4,046 posts, read 3,607,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Huh? I know it’s been years since I’ve last been there, but I never recall Minneapolis being near the Wisconsin border?
The Eastern edge of St. Paul is about 10 miles from the Wisconsin border, so that makes downtown Minneapolis about 25 miles from Wisconsin. The eastern edges of the MSP urban area extend into Wisconsin.

The northern edge of South Bend IN is about 3000ft from the Michigan border, they should just annex rest of the way.

Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM

1,029 posts, read 361,028 times
A lot of people don’t know that Kansas City KS borders Missouri.

Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM

1,340 posts, read 576,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
The Eastern edge of St. Paul is about 10 miles from the Wisconsin border, so that makes downtown Minneapolis about 25 miles from Wisconsin. The eastern edges of the MSP urban area extend into Wisconsin.

The northern edge of South Bend IN is about 3000ft from the Michigan border, they should just annex rest of the way.
You learn something new everyday. Iíd been there a few times growing up, the last being over 20 years ago for a funeral, so even if I did know I obviously forgot. I guess I shouldíve looked at a map before commenting, lol.

Good call with South Bend. I never realized it straddled the Michigan border until going to a game there during college. Like Minneapolis, I havenít been in ages and forgot all about that until now.

Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM

19 posts, read 6,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post

I knew it was close to the NC border, but didnít realize that. The city limits are shaped strangely, which is why I had no idea!
Attached Thumbnails
Cities that most people don't realize border other states-7f5c1a2e-b6b9-49ed-b0ea-5d809bf814bf.jpeg  

Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM

1,541 posts, read 651,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
St. Louis- There's an East St. Louis, but its actually in Illinois, not Missouri. They see it as the "main Missouri City" unlike Kansas City, which is clear and more well-known in that it borders Kansas.

El Paso- Probably more famous for bordering "old" Mexico than New Mexico

Reno- A Couple portions do touch the CA border

Fort Smith, AR- Oklahoma

Omaha- Iowa

Fargo- Minnesota

Duluth- Wisconsin

Chattanooga- Georgia (more so than Memphis, which many know well of its border with Mississippi)

Augusta, GA- South Carolina (more so than Savannah, which is well known for the same river it lies on thanks to all the I-95 travelers)

East Providence- Massachusetts

Elizabeth, NJ and Perth Amboy- New York

Wilmington, DE- New Jersey (more so than Philly with NJ, although some see Wilmington as they leave the NJ Turnpike and cross over the DMB)

Weirton, WV- Ohio AND Pennsylvania (many believe it only borders OH like Wheeling)
I had no idea El Paso borders New Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or