U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most important
Good economy 9 16.67%
Preferred Climate, Location, scenery 35 64.81%
Culture and Demographics/ethnic groups 10 18.52%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 08:15 AM

668 posts, read 601,883 times

Advertisements

1. Climate
2. Neighborhoods
3. Jobs
4. Culture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 08:22 AM

20 posts, read 7,341 times
Climate - I’m tired of cold and snow, so our next location (in the middle of figuring that out!) must be a climate that has little to no snow/cold/winter.

But economy is an important factor to make sure there are job opportunities for us, especially for my husband (I’ll probably be able to work remotely with my current position, though want to make sure there are opportunity for me just in case of change!).

Culture is important but not as much. I just want a less populated area and somewhere that has a good church community, but in terms of specifics? Not as important as the first two.

Old 09-27-2019, 09:24 AM

514 posts, read 250,714 times
I can't decide between NV, AZ, and south FL. Florida benefits are closer to family and warm winters. It changes each day when I keep comparing the good and bad of both. Its driving me nuts.

Old 09-27-2019, 09:32 AM
Status: "South Carolina: real home of the confederacy" (set 28 days ago)

5,217 posts, read 3,188,800 times
Idk. Changes everyday. All are important

Old 09-27-2019, 09:51 AM

2,676 posts, read 4,902,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconada View Post
What is the most important thing you look for when moving?

1. Economy- if that particular area has a good economy and especially if it has abundance of jobs in your preferred field

2. Climate, Location, Scenery- The climate, location, scenery of the area. If it's a tight dense city or more spaced out sprawling area.

3. Culture and Demographics/Ethnic groups- The overall cultural atmosphere of the area, the nightlife, the people. If the area has a large presence of a particular ethnic group.
I pick #4 - taxes. Many states are automatically eliminated because of their insanely high taxes. Minnesota would be my first choice to move. However it is ruled out due to their obscenely high taxes.

Old 09-27-2019, 10:36 AM

1,331 posts, read 1,092,706 times
I think you forgot Family as a option. Not saying it would necessarily be first, but probably a top contender for most people.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:23 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,092,706 times
1) Family
2) Climate
3) Cost
4) Culture
5) Proximity (to other cities, airports, amenities, etc.)

Old 09-27-2019, 12:43 PM
Status: "South Carolina: real home of the confederacy" (set 28 days ago)

5,217 posts, read 3,188,800 times
There's some misinformation flying around here. First of all, Texas isn't really that hot and has 4 seasons. Second, Texas does have great outdoor activities. For example, Dallas is a great ski town. It's a two-hour flight from Denver and since it's cheaper than Denver, you can use that money for extra skiing.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:57 PM

750 posts, read 294,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
There's some misinformation flying around here. First of all, Texas isn't really that hot and has 4 seasons. Second, Texas does have great outdoor activities. For example, Dallas is a great ski town. It's a two-hour flight from Denver and since it's cheaper than Denver, you can use that money for extra skiing.
LOL
Dallas may be cheaper to live in, but it is not a great "ski town". Not only are you paying for a flight ticket, but you still have to somehow get from Denver to the mountains once you land.
Texas' major cities are great, but the more noteworthy outdoor activities are hours away from population centers. Plenty of other cities in the country have substantially better proximity.

Old 09-27-2019, 03:46 PM

873 posts, read 415,154 times
Of the three listed Climate is number 1. I lived for 38 years in the central California heat. The summers were miserable, so hot, barely cools down at night, we hide away like hermits to avoid going out into the blistering dun all summer long. Then you add in the air quality that just gets worse with every passing year. Kids couldn't go play at recess because the air quality was too poor. Gray Haze every day so you can't even see the foothills anymore. Then you add in the gray foggy winters, and just forget it.

So we moved someplace with blue sky, clean air, moutains we can see every single day. Warm summers, with cool nights. Gorgeous snowy winters that make you curl up with some hot cocoa and a book right by your fire. We actually have four seasons here winter, mud, summer, and fall. It's just glorious!!! There's lots more positives but I'll just stick with those for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or