U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most important
Good economy 9 16.67%
Preferred Climate, Location, scenery 35 64.81%
Culture and Demographics/ethnic groups 10 18.52%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 04:18 PM

3,948 posts, read 1,704,283 times

Advertisements

The main things for my wife and me are cost of living/buying power, economy, friendliness of residents, and recreational assets (especially outdoor and unique assets). Those 3 areas comprise the majority of what creates a high quality of life for us. Other categories count too, but these combined carry the most weight by far. The rest is just icing on the cake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 09:32 PM

4,739 posts, read 3,822,472 times
Mix of 1 and 2. I'd rather live in Tucson but the lack of an economy told me no. Tucson has a better climate with better scenery, which is why I prefer it to begin with.

I'm not retired so I need a good economy to sustain me, especially if I move somewhere where I don't have a support system (99% of this country for me). But I wouldn't pick somewhere with a climate I would not like, location and scenery are not as important but it does help to have a nice view.

Old 09-27-2019, 10:20 PM

3,869 posts, read 1,384,665 times
#1 and #2 would be most important to me.

Any preferred location would have the desired culture/dographics I seek any default.

Old 09-27-2019, 10:52 PM

7,876 posts, read 9,274,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconada View Post
What is the most important thing you look for when moving?

1. Economy- if that particular area has a good economy and especially if it has abundance of jobs in your preferred field

2. Climate, Location, Scenery- The climate, location, scenery of the area. If it's a tight dense city or more spaced out sprawling area.

3. Culture and Demographics/Ethnic groups- The overall cultural atmosphere of the area, the nightlife, the people. If the area has a large presence of a particular ethnic group.
Salary and cost of living. If I'm going to be broke screw it. No place is worth it to be broke. Good people are what keep me in a location.

I've lived in pretty places and been poor and it still sucks. I don't give a **** how diverse a place is.

Old 09-27-2019, 11:32 PM

6,680 posts, read 10,514,497 times
1 and 2. I'll gladly pay a little more for #2. Already lived in a low-ish COL area with a garbage climate and no scenery. Won't make that mistake again.

Old 09-28-2019, 12:25 AM

17,754 posts, read 19,977,593 times
I choose to live in the DC area because of the economy and job market and I like east coast cities in general. You never run out of things to do.

Good history and culture, a lot of natural beauty and a balanced 4-season climate. That about sums it up.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:43 AM

8,111 posts, read 12,535,052 times
Obviously I wouldn't move someplace if I didn't already have a job lined up. I also won't move someplace where I don't already know someone.

Now in terms of the other stuff, I would prefer that people who share my culture and religion (separate from ethnicity/race) are at least 40% of the population, preferably the majority. Religion is especially important. I also prefer to live someplace where most people share my politics. I wouldn't want to live in an area where the other party has over 60 or 70%. So I guess 40% is the magic number.......

This is a major reason why within the Baton Rouge area, I will not live in East Baton Rouge Parish.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:55 AM

46,179 posts, read 37,368,714 times
Thankfully where I live (NE Texas) has all three advantages the poll listed! I did vote for the second option, though all options hold importance to me. For instance, though I love family and I generally like a lot of things about the state that some family members live in, I wouldn't move there mainly because of the economy. Followed closely by their significantly colder winters. But the scenery is nice and the company is hard to beat!

Old 09-29-2019, 09:03 AM

7,876 posts, read 9,274,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
1 and 2. I'll gladly pay a little more for #2. Already lived in a low-ish COL area with a garbage climate and no scenery. Won't make that mistake again.
Yes, the scenery isn't as good in the Denver area as people say it is. However, I've never heard of anywhere in the Front Range having a low cost of living.

Old Today, 04:20 PM

32 posts, read 1,690 times
Culture and demographics for sure. I can't live in no "dead" place; I don't care how much jobs are there and how great the weather is. I need to feel comfortable with the vibe of the city and feel like I connect with the people. I need to there to be energy, excitement, activities, good food, good music, history, charm and potential for a satisfying social/family life. The bills will get paid regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or