Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 06:53 AM

50 posts, read 15,845 times

Advertisements

Please excuse the lengthiness….

Hello, I'm 34 years old, educated, widowed, with no kids. I live in South Florida but I want to move next year… While I have several places in mind to relocate to, I’m not sure which is the better fit for me to live, work, play and ultimately, raise a family. I was hoping you all can weigh in and help me decide, narrow my choices down or offer other suggestions. Firstly, key factors for me are:
1. Safety and low incidence of crime
2. Urban with natural Beauty: I want infrastructural development, amenities and population of a big city but I also want to be surrounded by big mature trees, near mountains and/or water, lots of hiking trails…. No concrete jungle.
3. Climate: I want to be where I can experience all four seasons…. but not too much snow and long winters.
4. Culture & Vibe: Somewhere with youthful energy, identity, friendly people, progressive, but not too liberal. Being a black woman, I also would like to live where there is considerable black presence.
5. Activities: Free events, museums, professional sports, water-based activities, camping, good night life, thriving art & music scene, and lots of restaurants (preferably locally owned).
6. Affordability: I want to live where I can get a decent sized 3/2 house with a backyard and a basement for less than $300k.
7. Economic growth: Somewhere that’s booming with a strong economy, low unemployment rates and competitive wages.
8. Potential for planting roots: I want to live where I am more likely to meet a man who’s respectful, educated, with somewhat traditional values and whom I can raise a family with; somewhere with good performing schools is also a must.

After considering my needs and a little research, I came up with some options…
- Atlanta, GA (I love the beauty and vibe but I’m concerned about its reputation of having a lot of bi-sexual/ Down Low men and poor education system)
- Houston, TX (Only downside is its flat landscape may be lacking in aesthetics)
- Dallas, TX (No real issue except I just hear so much more about Houston and it doesn’t have as much to do)
- Raleigh, NC (Seems like a good place to live but I heard that housing is a little expensive and it may be slower paced)
- Somewhere in Virginia: I like NOVA but I heard it’s very expensive, what’s a less expensive version of that?

For some reason, I'm not so interested in the west coast, maybe because I heard it’s expensive out there. I also haven’t seriously considered the midwest; though Michigan looks beautiful, the winters are brutal.

What do you think of my options? Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 07:33 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,700,465 times
Before I even sawyour own suggestions, I had thought of Atlanta based on your wants.a

Old 09-23-2019, 07:46 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,500,322 times
I would definitely not suggest Houston or Dallas. These are concrete jungles in the worst way - ugly wide roads and freeways with massive parking lots, truly the ugliest cities I've ever been to. Houston doesn't get much of 4 seasons, Dallas a little more so but still not really. It's hot for a very very long time in both metros.

Atlanta is a possibility I think, or the burbs of Atlanta. I was also thinking MD suburbs of Washington DC - housing affordability would be a bit of a problem though.

I live in Raleigh and it's a nice place, pretty suburban but definitely making strides to become more urban and dense which is nice. LOTS of buildings and businesses going up all over the Triangle (the triangle is Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill). It's very green with trees absolutely everywhere and nice gently rolling hills. I like it better than Charlotte, which is more spread out and lower population density despite its larger downtown.

I would suggest looking at Atlanta first, Raleigh 2nd and DMV 3rd

Old 09-23-2019, 07:59 AM

11,090 posts, read 7,149,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I would definitely not suggest Houston or Dallas. These are concrete jungles in the worst way - ugly wide roads and freeways with massive parking lots, truly the ugliest cities..
Lies and exaggerations. Disregard.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Lies and exaggerations. Disregard.
Look at OP again. She said she wants a place with natural beauty and near mountains/water. Can you honestly sit there and genuinely tell OP Dallas and/or Houston will fit that criteria? No, you can't. Not without lying. Sorry if this offends you, but it's sort of common knowledge which OP mentioned herself. And she isn't wrong. At all. Those cities have some redeeming qualities, but natural beauty is not one of them. Coupled with the weather and traffic issues, I would not suggest these cities for OP. Unless she likes it hot and humid for 80% of the year. Atlanta is not much better with heat, but it does get a chillier winter and is very very pretty in autumn with all the hills and trees and winding roads.

Last edited by LordHelmit; 09-23-2019 at 08:13 AM..

Old 09-23-2019, 08:26 AM

11,090 posts, read 7,149,943 times
Quote:
Look at OP again. She said she wants a place with natural beauty and near mountains/water...
None of the four cities she mentioned are near "mountains". But natural beauty, and water, Texas has those. Most of her other criteria are met too. Hey, NC is nice as well. See, I'm more open-minded than you.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
None of the four cities she mentioned are near "mountains". But natural beauty, and water, Texas has those. Most of her other criteria are met too. Hey, NC is nice as well. See, I'm more open-minded than you.
Atlanta and NOVA are both an hour away from mountains and are hilly/green itself. Raleigh is 2.5 hours to mountains and is super green with rolling hills. Literally all of them are closer to mountains except Dallas and Houston. Houston does have the easiest access to water, but Raleigh/NOVA aren't that far and have large recreational lakes to enjoy. Houston's access to the gulf is, IMO, not enough of a redeeming factor to cancel out everything else.

Texas does have lots of natural beauty. But Dallas and Houston do not.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:23 AM

12,837 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Look at OP again. She said she wants a place with natural beauty and near mountains/water. Can you honestly sit there and genuinely tell OP Dallas and/or Houston will fit that criteria? No, you can't. Not without lying. Sorry if this offends you, but it's sort of common knowledge which OP mentioned herself. And she isn't wrong. At all. Those cities have some redeeming qualities, but natural beauty is not one of them. Coupled with the weather and traffic issues, I would not suggest these cities for OP. Unless she likes it hot and humid for 80% of the year. Atlanta is not much better with heat, but it does get a chillier winter and is very very pretty in autumn with all the hills and trees and winding roads.
Dallas and Houston are two hour flights from mountains, so Thoreau is technically right.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:47 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
I'm surprised that Charlotte wasn't listed.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:41 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,700,465 times
Quote:
Atlanta metro is only an hour from the mountains. It's no Salt lake City or anything, but not too bad a drive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.