U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 08:58 PM

2,394 posts, read 1,584,642 times

Advertisements

I believe for Pittsburgh, outside of downtown, its the Trimont Plaza, 340 feet, in Mt. Washington.

Followed by Washington place in Uptown at a little over 300 feet. Then quite a few just below that, scattered around in the 20-25 story range under 300 ft.

Tallest non-residential outside DT is Cathedral of Learning, 535 feet in Oakland.

going outside the city, Pittsburgh area has a pretty large amount of apartment towers in the suburbs for an area its size , roughly 200 of them, just scattered pretty randomly. I did a thread on it a while ago:

Midrise towers in the Pittsburgh suburbs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2019, 12:55 PM

2,394 posts, read 1,584,642 times
For Baltimore, it's a close call between two of them. Towers at Harbor Court I think is technically not downtown, but in Federal Hill. although very close to DT. Its 356 ft. Harborview tower is a bit further away from DT and is 343 ft.

Old 10-12-2019, 01:48 PM

4,809 posts, read 2,928,356 times
The question specified more than three miles from downtown.

It's pretty remarkable how short the tallest examples are. If Vancouver was in the US, it would probably have the 50 tallest examples, if not 100+.

Old 10-12-2019, 02:56 PM

13,176 posts, read 9,162,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post

It's pretty remarkable how short the tallest examples are. If Vancouver was in the US, it would probably have the 50 tallest examples, if not 100+.
Besides not being in the US, another disqualification for Vancouver may be that it is rare to have tall residential buildings without a commercial component at it's base. They exist, but usually the buildings are attached to services, shops and transit. Like Brentwood which is nearing completion. The video is over a year old, so it shows it less complete than it is now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edjGBClPgXQ

A lot of our taller ones are in Burnaby, definitely over 3 miles from Vancouver City Hall.

The tallest one currently there is Altus at 187.8 metres ( 616 feet ).

As the link shows, there are a lot of buildings over 300 feet.

The tallest planned is Two Gilmore Place which will be 215.8 metres ( 708 feet ) and 64 floors.

The link is incorrect in stating that Two Gilmore Place will be the first over 200 metres. Shangri-la in Vancouver is 201 metres.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ngs_in_Burnaby

Many other clusters of high-rises in Surrey and other burbs where the Skytrain goes.

This type of building I don't believe would happen if it weren't for the Skytrain. The municipalities are purposely changing height codes around the stations to create density. I personally like it. If more people can access home, work, shopping, doctors etc by just stepping out their door and not needing a car, the better.

Last edited by Natnasci; 10-12-2019 at 03:11 PM..

Old 10-14-2019, 10:20 PM

6,766 posts, read 14,018,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post

Agreed. Multiple cities have a "midtown" or uptown or some sort of trendy district getting highrises outside the CBD....but I am ONLY INTERESTED IN AT LEAST THREE MILES FROM CITY HALL of the MSA core city.

Louisville has a proposal 3.5 miles from downtown for THREE, 350 foot scrapers....however it was recently knocked down to one, 250 foot scraper and a massive ten story building all around.

https://jeffersondevelopmentgroup.co...folio=one-park

Here is another 200 foot tower likely to break ground in Louisville soon....it's over 4 miles from city hall:

http://josephandjoseph.net/willow-grande/

Old 10-15-2019, 01:02 AM

211 posts, read 119,361 times
The 32-story (364.5 ft) Walter Tower in Raleigh's North Hills will be the tallest residential tower in Raleigh. Currently under construction in Raleigh. It's 5 miles from Downtown. It will also be the fourth tallest building in Raleigh.

Old 10-15-2019, 02:31 AM

6,766 posts, read 14,018,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighsocial View Post
The 32-story (364.5 ft) Walter Tower in Raleigh's North Hills will be the tallest residential tower in Raleigh. Currently under construction in Raleigh. It's 5 miles from Downtown. It will also be the fourth tallest building in Raleigh.
yuck...trying to look too much like Buckhead or Sandy Springs but not as walkable....feels like an area where big boxes belong and then bam, throw up a skyscraper. The so called Park District seems extremely fake and sterile. I see how it tries to be a vertical lifestyle center, but to me the entire premise is flawed. let's build huge freeways, then let's take a disaster road like Six Forks and build this. I'd much rather see this in downtown Raleigh or downtown Durham even.

Old 10-15-2019, 03:19 AM

211 posts, read 119,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
yuck...trying to look too much like Buckhead or Sandy Springs but not as walkable....feels like an area where big boxes belong and then bam, throw up a skyscraper. The so called Park District seems extremely fake and sterile. I see how it tries to be a vertical lifestyle center, but to me the entire premise is flawed. let's build huge freeways, then let's take a disaster road like Six Forks and build this. I'd much rather see this in downtown Raleigh or downtown Durham even.
The same developer is building a 40-story tower in Downtown Raleigh however land is very expensive in Downtown and North Hills was bought for pennies on the dollar 2 decades ago.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:00 AM

4,292 posts, read 6,170,723 times
Columbus, Ga has AFLAC's world HQ building in Midtown Columbus. Believe it's 20 stories and roughly 250ft.

Old 10-15-2019, 10:13 AM

596 posts, read 200,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
For Baltimore, it's a close call between two of them. Towers at Harbor Court I think is technically not downtown, but in Federal Hill. although very close to DT. Its 356 ft. Harborview tower is a bit further away from DT and is 343 ft.
They're both within 1-2 miles of downtown proper.

The tallest buildings in city limits would be the residential towers at Johns Hopkins University campus, if those don't cont... you'd have to go to Towson where there's two building's over 300' (ones mix use) and another two over 200'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or