U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 01:51 PM

2,278 posts, read 1,144,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's not what I said. I did say that the Boomer legacy is nothing to write home about, and in many ways, they've set the country back. The Greatest Generation and the Silents had their problems too (i.e., racism), but they also had a legacy to be proud of.
Yes, racism, women's rights (which the Boomers rectified), etc. I guess that's nothing, though.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/baby-...ment_b_6834854

Last edited by Enean; 09-30-2019 at 01:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 02:13 PM

28,556 posts, read 26,707,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Yes, racism, women's rights (which the Boomers rectified), etc. I guess that's nothing, though.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/baby-...ment_b_6834854
Did you read the article?

Quote:
Although Nin was not a baby boomer (she was born in 1903), between 1946 and 1964, she affected many of us deeply.
Gloria Steinem and most second-wave feminists were not Baby Boomers. The oldest Boomers were only 15 years old in 1960.

The same is true with the Civil Rights Movement. Most of its leaders were either Silents (MLK) or Greatest (Rosa Parks).

Old 09-30-2019, 02:19 PM

3,537 posts, read 1,717,331 times
Quote:
That's not what I said. I did say that the Boomer legacy is nothing to write home about, and in many ways, they've set the country back. The Greatest Generation and the Silents had their problems too (i.e., racism), but they also had a legacy to be proud of.

In 30 years, I don't think anyone will speak of Boomers with the same reverent tones we speak of the WWII generation. Boomers will mostly be remembered for being hell-bent on deregulation and disemboweling the social contract set in place in the wake of the Depression and the War.
The Hippy generation changed the culture that is with us today. They rebelled against a undeclared war drafted into. Their music will live in and NOT forgotten. Many of the new Gen X actually admire that generation and into the 80s as well. Music plans a huge roll.

No generation should be cut short. They were a product of the era they Came of age. Each with plenty of issues. None were free of them.

Old 09-30-2019, 02:32 PM

28,556 posts, read 26,707,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
The Hippy generation changed the culture that is with us today. They rebelled against a undeclared war drafted into. Their music will live in and NOT forgotten. Many of the new Gen X actually admire that generation and into the 80s as well. Music plans a huge roll.
The Greatest Generation reduced the national debt to 31% of GDP and voted for enough public expenditure to make college dirt cheap for the Boomer generation. The Boomers had Mick Jagger, so I guess I'll call this one a draw.

Old 09-30-2019, 03:07 PM

7,172 posts, read 6,404,991 times
Quote:
Boomers will mostly be remembered for being hell-bent on deregulation and disemboweling the social contract set in place in the wake of the Depression and the War.
Yeah well, we saved you from having to wear a crew cut or a pompadour.

Old 09-30-2019, 03:57 PM

87,606 posts, read 103,766,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
I'd imagine Gen X is going to get hit first. Many Millennials have Boomer parents, so that's why the focus has remained Boomer centric. A lot of Gen Z's parents are going to be Gen Xs rather than Millennials (Gen Y).
Yes, rebelling against one's parents is an age old pass-time of adolescents (in either age or mentality).

Quote:

In 30 years, I don't think anyone will speak of Boomers with the same reverent tones we speak of the WWII generation. Boomers will mostly be remembered for being
We Boomers invented a lot of the technology you Mills like to use. I like how you put (racism) in parens, like it's just something to mention in passing.

You do realize that in 1980 when Reagan (a member of the Greatest Generation, mind you, as was Nixon) was elected, the oldest Boomers were only 34 and not very involved in politics yet. The youngest of them were only 16 and not old enough to vote. Clinton was also a Boomer, the first Boomer president. Do you think his administration was "hell-bent on deregulation and disemboweling the social contract set in place in the wake of the Depression and the War"?

Last edited by JMT; 09-30-2019 at 05:10 PM..

Old 09-30-2019, 04:26 PM

1,247 posts, read 1,338,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
https://www.wsj.com/articles/millenn...es-11569470460

What confuses me is why Houston and Las Vegas are in the list of cities millennials are moving away from while Los Angeles and Seattle are in the list of cities millennials are moving *to*.

Phoenix being in the *moving to* list doesn't surprise me one bit, but I wonder why Las Vegas and Houston aren't part of that list as well.
I'm assuming it's similar to this list:
The Cities Where Millennials Are Moving
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/13/u-s-...llennials.html

15. Louisville
14. Overland Park, Kansas
13. Cincinnati
12. Nashville
11. Charlotte
10. Virginia Beach
9. Norfolk
8. Denver
7. San Jose
6. Newport News
5. Jacksonville
4. Minneapolis
3. Sacramento
2. Columbia
1. Seattle

Old 09-30-2019, 05:33 PM

3,289 posts, read 2,731,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You mean there's a ton of jobs in the northern plains states?
Yes, compared to the amount of people looking for jobs. People on here seem to be a bit delusional about these top 10% jobs, but for the 30-80 percentile ranges, the unemployment rates are the lowest and the COL to income ratios are the best in the north plains of the US. If jobs were by far #1 priority, unemployment rates and COL to income would be more even across the US.

To the point of the OP and not b****ing about boomers, the large coastal metropolises were artificially 'juiced' by a recieving the largest slice of non-mexican immigration, not by domestic desire, and are certainly not retirement choices. Hence, as that subsides, they will subside to a more natural, lower population.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:25 PM

87,606 posts, read 103,766,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Yes, compared to the amount of people looking for jobs. People on here seem to be a bit delusional about these top 10% jobs, but for the 30-80 percentile ranges, the unemployment rates are the lowest and the COL to income ratios are the best in the north plains of the US. If jobs were by far #1 priority, unemployment rates and COL to income would be more even across the US.

To the point of the OP and not b****ing about boomers, the large coastal metropolises were artificially 'juiced' by a recieving the largest slice of non-mexican immigration, not by domestic desire, and are certainly not retirement choices. Hence, as that subsides, they will subside to a more natural, lower population.
Ha! We'll see. The big retirement spots are "in place" and the sunbelt.

Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM

3,289 posts, read 2,731,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Ha! We'll see. The big retirement spots are "in place" and the sunbelt.
Yeah, but the retirement spots are places like The Villages FL or Mobile AL, not Miami, definitely not Dallas or LA, and certainly not NYC. Again, smaller places and not the huge metros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or