U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 09:28 AM

977 posts, read 307,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's not what I said. I did say that the Boomer legacy is nothing to write home about, and in many ways, they've set the country back. The Greatest Generation and the Silents had their problems too (i.e., racism), but they also had a legacy to be proud of.

In 30 years, I don't think anyone will speak of Boomers with the same reverent tones we speak of the WWII generation. Boomers will mostly be remembered for being hell-bent on deregulation and disemboweling the social contract set in place in the wake of the Depression and the War.
That's what we Xers and Yers will remember them for, but to Zers and onwards, I think only the best of the Boomers will be remembered; fighting the Vietnam War, fighting for peace and equality, inventing the internet, and developing fuel efficient cars. Those are much more likely to be remembered than deregulating the economy or changing social policies put in place in the 30s and 40s, which will be 100 years ago at that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 08:35 PM

500 posts, read 183,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's not what I said. I did say that the Boomer legacy is nothing to write home about, and in many ways, they've set the country back. The Greatest Generation and the Silents had their problems too (i.e., racism), but they also had a legacy to be proud of.

In 30 years, I don't think anyone will speak of Boomers with the same reverent tones we speak of the WWII generation. Boomers will mostly be remembered for being hell-bent on deregulation and disemboweling the social contract set in place in the wake of the Depression and the War.
...and in doing so have returned America to inequality not seen in a century. The first American generation to leave the country off worse than they received it.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:09 PM

5,451 posts, read 2,344,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
...and in doing so have returned America to inequality not seen in a century. The first American generation to leave the country off worse than they received it.
Maybe so, but the downward plunge has set in, and hasn't stopped with the boomers. Successor generations have too not measured up. It has a snowball effect, and shows no signs of stopping. That's the real tragedy going on daily in the midst of us all.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:25 PM

2,284 posts, read 1,151,092 times
Those boomers...you know, Obama, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos are all pretty terrible people. All those boomer celebrities, too. Not a one of them has contributed much to the world as it is, today.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:40 PM

87,657 posts, read 103,822,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
Oh, Jeez! For starts, most Boomers are still working! The youngest, b. 1964, are 55 years old and have about 12 years left in the workforce. Secondly, how is the country worse now than it was in 2009, when the last of the silents turned 65y, 10 mo, the age of full retirement at the time? Why, I believe we were in a pretty bad recession at the time. Talk about leaving the country worse off than when they received it! Should be we blame it on them? Why not?

Old 10-01-2019, 09:52 PM

1,049 posts, read 469,186 times
I think it depends which city. Here in NJ and NYC, there are a lack of job opportunities and jobs don't cover cost of living well enough, so most young adults either live at home deep into their 20s (very sad and that's why I am going to leave NJ) or they go to Charlotte in North Carolina (a smaller city), because the smaller cities have the jobs for them along with the lower cost of living.

I don't hear about people leaving Seattle for example, so maybe there are more jobs out there.

But what questions me is how does California have growing "tent cities" when San Francisco and Los Angeles have a ton of opportunities? Right?

Old 10-01-2019, 10:04 PM

9,025 posts, read 7,995,669 times
The oldest millennials are 38. That's the very oldest. The large bulk of the generation is still 25-32.

The USA is dotted with small to medium sized cities that have done a much better job of retaining reasonable CoL and unique regional culture, vs the coasts which are quite homogenous these days and cost insane prices. Not good for families.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:09 PM

Here's one for ya. I have a friend, whose position was eliminated...he worked for a major company for 30 some years, and has a Master's Degree in Computer Science from a leading university. He's 62 years old, and had survived many, many lay-offs over the years, but it was usually the older ones let go. He reached that point, and it was his turn. Well, he wasn't ready to retire, so the first job he applied for (in the same field), hired him instantly, and said they needed someone with his expertise and experience. So, sometimes the value of a Boomer is appreciated. He was hired at a higher salary than he had ever made...the new company didn't want him going anywhere else. And, he won't.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:21 AM

28,572 posts, read 26,727,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
We Boomers invented a lot of the technology you Mills like to use.
Even on the technological front, it was really the Greatest Generation that was responsible for the most progress with rapid advancements in circuitry and transistors that made the development of the modern computer possible. The earliest mobile computer was actually developed by a member of the Silent Generation, not a Boomer. Most of the pioneers of the internet were also members of the Silent Generation.

Quote:
I like how you put (racism) in parens, like it's just something to mention in passing.
Well, it's not like Boomers didn't have that problem too. But if you look at all of the major civil rights legislation and court decisions, it was Boomers and Silents at the forefront.

Quote:
You do realize that in 1980 when Reagan (a member of the Greatest Generation, mind you, as was Nixon) was elected, the oldest Boomers were only 34 and not very involved in politics yet. The youngest of them were only 16 and not old enough to vote.
The median Boomer was born in 1955. They would have been 25 in 1980. Boomers became a majority of the voting age population fairly quickly.

Quote:
Clinton was also a Boomer, the first Boomer president. Do you think his administration was "hell-bent on deregulation and disemboweling the social contract set in place in the wake of the Depression and the War"?
Actually, yes.

Old 10-02-2019, 08:47 AM

How did one poster turn this thread into a thread for bashing Baby Boomers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or