U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 04:09 PM

304 posts, read 129,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Milwaukee actually has four very distinct seasons. KC just has more weather extremes with horrid summer temperatures.
And Milwaukee has more extreme horrid winters.

The average January high in KC is more than 10 degrees higher than Milwaukee and the average low is 7 degree warmer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 04:17 PM

KC is also something of a boom town (by midwest standards) right now. This decade the KC metro has grown by over 7%. Milwaukee has seen stagnant growth of only 1.3%.

Milwaukee is close to Madison and Chicago which is definitely a boost, but its not like going to the next town over. If you're a liberal person you'll probably find more like minded folks living in Milwaukee. Not that KC isn't nice and blue, its just that it gets red fast once you get out of the metro. With Madison and Chicago close by there is more blue surrounding Milwaukee.

I'd definitely give KC the edge in terms of livelier city center, but Milwaukee the edge in neighborhoods.

Honestly, this is pretty apples to apples in my opinion. If I was in a position to choose, I would go KC just because I abhor cold weather. If you like cold weather and don't handle the heat as well I would definitely reccomend Milwaukee.

Old 10-01-2019, 04:59 PM

2,283 posts, read 1,146,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
KC is also something of a boom town (by midwest standards) right now. This decade the KC metro has grown by over 7%. Milwaukee has seen stagnant growth of only 1.3%.

Milwaukee is close to Madison and Chicago which is definitely a boost, but its not like going to the next town over. If you're a liberal person you'll probably find more like minded folks living in Milwaukee. Not that KC isn't nice and blue, its just that it gets red fast once you get out of the metro. With Madison and Chicago close by there is more blue surrounding Milwaukee.

I'd definitely give KC the edge in terms of livelier city center, but Milwaukee the edge in neighborhoods.

Honestly, this is pretty apples to apples in my opinion. If I was in a position to choose, I would go KC just because I abhor cold weather. If you like cold weather and don't handle the heat as well I would definitely reccomend Milwaukee.
Not sure about KC having a livelier city center. Milwaukee has a professional basketball team with a brand new arena downtown. The team is pretty good, as you know, so it's a huge draw. Also, during the off-season, many events (concerts) are held at the new arena, and are also a big draw. Downtown Milwaukee has a riverwalk downtown, that's hopping, most of the time.

And, well, Lake Michigan is downtown, too. One more thing, Milwaukee is the home of Harley Davidson, and their headquarters is downtown, so each year when they have their event, there are people from the world over, with their motorcycles. Summerfest, held on the Lake...the biggest music festival in the country. I could go on, but I'll stop. You get the drift.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rive...w=1920&bih=969

https://www.google.com/search?q=harl...00NQzHyjxsg45M

Old 10-01-2019, 05:56 PM

5,232 posts, read 3,197,741 times
Excited for op

Old 10-01-2019, 05:57 PM

21,037 posts, read 36,416,473 times
Quote:
And Milwaukee has more extreme horrid winters.

The average January high in KC is more than 10 degrees higher than Milwaukee and the average low is 7 degree warmer.
The data for KC is highly variable as the city is ridiculously spread out with the official reporting station on the northwest side of the city. With that being said, winter activities are far less numerous in KC than Milwaukee due to weather patterns creating freeze/thaw cycles and constant wind. Some people in KC go west to Colorado for skiing, however that isn’t a convenient trip compared to a short drive to the Northwoods in Wisconsin with great powder snow. KC goes from 60 to 10 degrees for high temperatures in January, ridiculous. That doesn’t happen in Milwaukee.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The data for KC is highly variable as the city is ridiculously spread out with the official reporting station on the northwest side of the city. With that being said, winter activities are far less numerous in KC than Milwaukee due to weather patterns creating freeze/thaw cycles and constant wind. Some people in KC go west to Colorado for skiing, however that isnít a convenient trip compared to a short drive to the Northwoods in Wisconsin with great powder snow. KC goes from 60 to 10 degrees for high temperatures in January, ridiculous. That doesnít happen in Milwaukee.
The "freeze thaw cycle" is great. I can damn near golf year round at 39 degrees north.

What winter activities? Snowmobiling? You can just ride an ATV in KC. Ice Fishing? In KC you can just go regular fishing.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:48 PM

2,283 posts, read 1,146,860 times
Quote:
The "freeze thaw cycle" is great. I can damn near golf year round at 39 degrees north.

What winter activities? Snowmobiling? You can just ride an ATV in KC. Ice Fishing? In KC you can just go regular fishing.
I've golfed in Milwaukee in January...not a usual thing, but it happens. If one is interested mainly in weather, I doubt Milwaukee or KC, would be anyone's first choice. AND, he lived in Chicago and traveled to Milwaukee from time to time. He's aware of the weather.

Last edited by Enean; 10-01-2019 at 11:01 PM..

Old 10-01-2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Not sure about KC having a livelier city center. Milwaukee has a professional basketball team with a brand new arena downtown. The team is pretty good, as you know, so it's a huge draw. Also, during the off-season, many events (concerts) are held at the new arena, and are also a big draw. Downtown Milwaukee has a riverwalk downtown, that's hopping, most of the time.

And, well, Lake Michigan is downtown, too. One more thing, Milwaukee is the home of Harley Davidson, and their headquarters is downtown, so each year when they have their event, there are people from the world over, with their motorcycles. Summerfest, held on the Lake...the biggest music festival in the country. I could go on, but I'll stop. You get the drift.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rive...w=1920&bih=969

https://www.google.com/search?q=harl...00NQzHyjxsg45M
I didn't say downtown Milwaukee sucks and has nothing to offer. I said KC has a livelier city center. Its not even alot livelier.

However, DT Milwaukee has about 10,000 residents (DT Milaukee's website says there are over 30,000 but the boundaries of what they call "downtown" includes the entire lower east side, which is not downtown.) Downtown KC has over 23,000.

According to DT Milwaukee website, DT employed 83,000 people in 2016. Considering that they are using those same boundaries including the lower east side its still misleading. DT KC employs over 120K people.

Old Yesterday, 06:54 AM

4,575 posts, read 2,698,355 times
Without getting into the KC or MKE debate that's be dragging on for 3 pages, I'll just tell you about Milwaukee.

I live in Shorewood so I'm most familiar with the North Shore suburbs. The best place to live if you ask me. Whitefish Bay was just named the the #9 best place to live in America. Personally, I prefer Shorewood but I'm only a block from WFB. Shorewood is just more walkable, denser, and a little more diverse. Plus it's just that much closer to downtown. Oh, and we have the best beach in all of Milwaukee metro. The schools here are great, as they are in WFB, Mequon, and everywhere in the North Shore suburbs. There are great schools out in Brookfield and Tosa as well but I prefer to be next to the lake. Access to downtown Milwaukee is a breeze from Shorewood. We have the option of taking Lake Dr, Oakland, or if you hate yourself you can cut over to the highway. Plus the bike trail cuts through shorewood and will take you right downtown. Or you can take a bus for 15 mins that will take you downtown. My husband rides the bus to work every day. If politics or political leanings mean anything to you Ozaukee Co. runs red (Mequon, Cedarburg, Grafton) while Milwaukee Co. is blue (Shorewood is deep blue, WFB, Fox Point, Bayside, River Hills). Like anywhere, inner ring is the darkest blue and getting more purple and turning red the farther from downtown.

If you're looking for more of a small town in the metro area I'd recommend Cedarburg. Excellent schools, quaint yet lively downtown, and full of festivals. Or you can check out the communities in Lake Country. Again, excellent schools.

I've only been in Milwaukee for two years but I've met some wonderful people up and down the North Shore area. Everyone has been so friendly.

Unfortunately I haven't spent much (any) time in the southern metro. I'm out west a few times but not often. The thing about Milwaukee is that it's easy to go N/S along the lake but it is a HUGE PITA to go E/W. Plus I'm not the biggest fan of the vibe of Brookfield.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

Old Yesterday, 07:09 AM

9,015 posts, read 7,986,052 times
I'd go with Milwaukee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or