U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 11:33 AM

22 posts, read 17,355 times

Advertisements

Thank you again everyone for your responses! It has been quite helpful to read through what everyone is saying about both areas. Based on reading this I think each area has its great qualities but to me Milwaukee has the edge. One of the reasons we moved from DFW was because of the heat and I would much rather deal with cold winters then long hot summers (personal preference) and you can’t beat the lake. I like the fact that the city seems extremely walkable with tight knit communities and other suburban options.

KC definitely seems to be up and coming but the area from my limited research just seems too much like Texas. The DFW area had so many McMansions in Suburbia it was ridiculous. I think it would be an area we could be comfortable in as it would seem familiar but I think the isolation of the area would wear on us after a while:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 04:42 PM

5,271 posts, read 3,219,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttrfly298 View Post
Thank you again everyone for your responses! It has been quite helpful to read through what everyone is saying about both areas. Based on reading this I think each area has its great qualities but to me Milwaukee has the edge. One of the reasons we moved from DFW was because of the heat and I would much rather deal with cold winters then long hot summers (personal preference) and you cant beat the lake. I like the fact that the city seems extremely walkable with tight knit communities and other suburban options.

KC definitely seems to be up and coming but the area from my limited research just seems too much like Texas. The DFW area had so many McMansions in Suburbia it was ridiculous. I think it would be an area we could be comfortable in as it would seem familiar but I think the isolation of the area would wear on us after a while:
I think you made the right choice. And if you're moving to Milwaukee, you're also getting Chicago. I think there are a lot of great rural escapes in the midwest as well.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:30 PM

21,051 posts, read 36,449,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
Milwaukee doesn't have "consistent mild conditions." It has consistently deathly cold weather where the average high hovers below or at freezing for 3 consecutive months. That is not "mild," it's harsh.

KC doesn't have defined seasons? Thats just not accurate. The majority of continental US has defined seasons, KC is no different.

Summer in KC is not useless due to heat and humidity, just July and early august. Even in the oppresively hot time of year you can still safely and comfortably enjoy the outdoors in the morning and the evening. Last weekend it 60 and rainy in Southern Wisonsin and 90 and sunny in KC.
Milwaukee has a typical Midwest winter climate, KC shuts down for dustings of snow most of the time, definitely a strong southern attribute. That decidedly harsh weather is why tons of people are outdoors all winter long enjoying winter sports in the Northwoods. I should know as Im there often every winter. KC summers are completely useless, youd find out fast once you live in an area with average high temperatures in the 70s to low 80s the vast majority of the time with a less harsh sun angle due to higher latitude.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:49 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,157,636 times
OP, you mentioned you went to Door County often, growing up, and, if anything, it's only gotten better.

https://www.google.com/search?q=door...w=1920&bih=969

Milwaukee on Lake Michigan...
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0566...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Milwaukee on the river...
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0405...2!8i6656?hl=en

The Third Ward
https://www.google.com/search?q=milw...w=1920&bih=969

And one more thing, Wisconsin has Lake Superior, as well.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bayf...w=1920&bih=969

Old 10-02-2019, 08:45 PM
sub

974 posts, read 486,032 times
Quote:
Thank you again everyone for your responses! It has been quite helpful to read through what everyone is saying about both areas. Based on reading this I think each area has its great qualities but to me Milwaukee has the edge. One of the reasons we moved from DFW was because of the heat and I would much rather deal with cold winters then long hot summers (personal preference) and you can’t beat the lake. I like the fact that the city seems extremely walkable with tight knit communities and other suburban options.

KC isn’t nearly as bad as Dallas.
The supposed isolation isn’t that big a deal either. It’s big enough to keep most people entertained, and there are plenty of interesting areas nearby if not big cities.
Most people in Milwaukee aren’t exactly participating in some mass exodus to Chicago every weekend. Seriously.
Regardless, Milwaukee has more agreeable weather and is a nicer place for folks who like older neighborhoods. Just more to choose from.

Last edited by sub; 10-02-2019 at 08:53 PM..

Old 10-03-2019, 08:12 AM

320 posts, read 134,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Winters in Milwaukee aren't that bad, seriously. At least there are things to do in winter. KC not so much, but it still gets cold enough that you're probably not out playing golf.
Milwaukee's summers run circles around KC's. 90 and sunny in late September is just as depressing as 30 and snow in late April for people who don't anything too extreme. I personally don't mind extended winters though.
Downtowns compare very nicely to each other. Neither stands way out, but Lake Michigan is priceless, and the nudge goes to Milwaukee because of it.
Overall, MKE is more uniformly dense, but KC's core is no slouch. It just has a ton more post-war suburban style development within the city limits in addition to some lingering, undeveloped cow pastures and corn fields.
Milwaukee's winter is brutal. All great lakes winters are brutal. Just because the people who live up there have convinced themselves "its not that bad" or that "there's still tons to do outside" doesn't mean its objectively true, which it isn't. Milwaukee is colder than Kiev, Sapporo, Beijing, , comparable to Minsk and St. Petersburg. That pretty much means that the only habited places on earth colder than Milwaukee are Canada, the central asian steppe, and Siberia. Thats really realy cold.

I can tell you from living most of my life at 39 degrees north that golf is regularly enjoyed in December and February. January less so, maybe you can only get out a once or twice.

90 and sunny in late September is marvelous. Its very warm and comfortable, but the sun is low in the sky so you don't get scorched.

I definitely agree the MKE is more uniformly dense, I've pointed that out throughout this exchange. However, MKE does not have a core like DT KC to the South Plaza and UMKC.

Also, KC, by midwest standards, is booming right now. 7.7% growth in the metro since 2010. Far outpacing the old Guard midwest cities like MKE, StL, Chicago, Cleveland, Cincy, Detroit etc and keeping pace with Minneapolis, Indianapolis and Columbus.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Milwaukee's winter is brutal. All great lakes winters are brutal. Just because the people who live up there have convinced themselves "its not that bad" or that "there's still tons to do outside" doesn't mean its objectively true, which it isn't. Milwaukee is colder than Kiev, Sapporo, Beijing, , comparable to Minsk and St. Petersburg. That pretty much means that the only habited places on earth colder than Milwaukee are Canada, the central asian steppe, and Siberia. Thats really realy cold.

I can tell you from living most of my life at 39 degrees north that golf is regularly enjoyed in December and February. January less so, maybe you can only get out a once or twice.

90 and sunny in late September is marvelous. Its very warm and comfortable, but the sun is low in the sky so you don't get scorched.

I definitely agree the MKE is more uniformly dense, I've pointed that out throughout this exchange. However, MKE does not have a core like DT KC to the South Plaza and UMKC.

Also, KC, by midwest standards, is booming right now. 7.7% growth in the metro since 2010. Far outpacing the old Guard midwest cities like MKE, StL, Chicago, Cleveland, Cincy, Detroit etc and keeping pace with Minneapolis, Indianapolis and Columbus.
I think the OP has already decided. And, thanks for the laugh.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:

You definitely made the right choice! KC is literally a western "cow" town. So your observation that it seems like Texas is accurate. And if your preference is for cold weather, its a no brainer. Enjoy! Got to Kopp's!

Old 10-03-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
You definitely made the right choice!
You just did a 180...lol.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
You just did a 180...lol.
You haven't been reading, but you're one of the Chicago honks on here so don't color me surprised.

I love Milwaukee and KC. I was only pointing out their differences and rebutting asinine contentions like Granite's downplaying of MKE winters which are brutal. Or that DT Milwaukee is livelier than DT Kansas City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or