Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 12:41 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,
I am a native Texan trying to conduct research on different states to live in case I am ever ready for a change.Jobs wont be a issue.I am considering Arkansas and TN.I am considering Arkansas because I have been there many times visiting family.However my grandparents will prolly be dead by the time I possibly move there.The only part of Arkansas that really appeals to me is Northwest Arkansas.The only part of TN ive been to is Memphis and I dont want to live there for obvious reasons.

The only thing that scares me away from Arkansas versus TN is that Arkansas has a substantial state income tax and my family thinks I will get a high income from our oil company.I prefer suburbs and small towns and small cities over big cities.I would want somewhere with good public schools and i dont know what my budget would be yet.I am a Republican so i would want to live somewhere thats at least moderate to conservative.I would want to avoid harsh winters.What are your thoughts everybody?Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 05:42 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,750,180 times
For taxes, Tennessee is probably going to be better no matter what your income is.
You and I have very different tastes, because If I had to live in Tennessee, Memphis would be the only contender but I’d probably never do it. If I had to live in Arkansas again, Little Rock it is. NWA just doesn’t appeal to me in the slightest.
However, for your situation, I’d probably recommend NWA if you’re not willing to consider alternatives in Arkansas because it would probably be a bit more affordable than comparable places in Tennessee.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:36 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
I'm very familiar with both states and my husband and I even seriously considered moving to both Hot Springs and Chattanooga.

We came a lot closer to moving to Chattanooga because of the tax situation. If I had to choose either state over Texas, I'd personally definitely go with Chattanooga or that area.

Arkansas seems to cater to a poor lifestyle - sorry but that's just the truth. I would recommend a weekend trip to Chattanooga - I think you may be very pleasantly surprised. It is VERY different from Memphis.

Old 09-30-2019, 09:38 AM

12,815 posts, read 9,536,731 times
You seem to have it made in Texas.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:52 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,750,180 times
The OP seems to bring this same stuff up from time to time. If I remember correctly, one concern he had was that Texas would get too crowded. Not sure that's a problem out in west Texas.
Along those lines, Tennessee is already crowded, with cities and towns that sprawl on seemingly forever. It also has a population density 3x as much as Arkansas. TN has less land area, with more than twice as many people.

Old 09-30-2019, 11:06 AM

12,815 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
The OP seems to bring this same stuff up from time to time. If I remember correctly, one concern he had was that Texas would get too crowded. Not sure that's a problem out in west Texas.
Along those lines, Tennessee is already crowded, with cities and towns that sprawl on seemingly forever. It also has a population density 3x as much as Arkansas. TN has less land area, with more than twice as many people.
Seems like a good kid, but yes, he does do that even though he loves Texas

Old 09-30-2019, 11:56 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,555 times
Personally, I find the current demographics of Texas startling. At this time, only 40-45% of Texas' population is non-Hispanic white. Conversely, both Arkansas and Tennessee have populations that fall within the 70-75% range. In my perspective, the implications of Texas' low non-Hispanic population are very grave and will have daunting consequences on the state's culture, politics and public education system. One must only look to California and Nevada to observe the monstrous political and sociocultural changes that have occurred over the course of 1-2 generations within those states.

Relative to Texas, Arkansas and Tennessee are lower-population states that, with the glaring exception of Nashville, mostly fly under the national radar. In addition to more preferable demographics, Arkansas and Tennessee host stunning natural beauty that is unparalleled in Texas. Due to the abundance of lakes, mountains and woods in both Arkansas and Tennessee, I would imagine that an outdoor enthusiast would vastly prefer either state to Texas. Due to its situation in the Appalachian Mountains, east Tennessee in particular feels like a very old land that teems with divine inspiration, probably more so than most other places in the United States.

Old 09-30-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Too many people is a problem where I live in West Texas.Too many people is not the only reason why I am considering leaving Texas at some point.

Last edited by C24L; 09-30-2019 at 01:30 PM..

Old 09-30-2019, 05:54 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,125,268 times
Whatever money you gain from income tax in TN will be lost by housing and land being like 1.5x more in eastern TN as compared to NWA. Eastern TN has more dramatic scenery than AR, but all those mountains and ridges confine people into small valleys, meaning it's going to be way more crowded. Look at it on Google Earth. It's probably going to get a lot more retirees as well, because there's just so many more people on the east coast than the central US.

I think AR offers a better deal, especially since it'd be closer to where you're from. AR has beautiful enough scenery in my book, but it still feels undiscovered, which is cool.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Whatever money you gain from income tax in TN will be lost by housing and land being like 1.5x more in eastern TN as compared to NWA. Eastern TN has more dramatic scenery than AR, but all those mountains and ridges confine people into small valleys, meaning it's going to be way more crowded. Look at it on Google Earth. It's probably going to get a lot more retirees as well, because there's just so many more people on the east coast than the central US.

I think AR offers a better deal, especially since it'd be closer to where you're from. AR has beautiful enough scenery in my book, but it still feels undiscovered, which is cool.
Okay thanks for the info Phil P.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.