U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 06:05 PM

1,766 posts, read 1,440,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Someone did MD, so I'll do VA and DE.

Virginia

1. Alexandria
2. Tysons (Dropping "Corner" was done to make it feel even more upscale)
3. Falls Church

(Outside of NoVA)

1. Short Pump
2. Virginia Beach
3. Williamsburg

Delaware

1. Henlopen Acres
2. Woodbrook (really, the string of Wilmington suburbs along the Brandywine all qualify)
3. Lewes
VA Beach is cool but upscale or fancy isn't the word that comes to mind when one visits honestly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 07:17 PM

1,573 posts, read 1,553,226 times
VA:
McLean
Great Falls
Clifton

MI:
Grosse Pointe Shores
Bloomfield Hills
Orchard Lake

Old 10-07-2019, 08:06 PM

283 posts, read 300,470 times
Idaho
1. Sun Valley/Ketchum/Hailey
2. Boise
3. Coeur d' Alene

Old 10-07-2019, 09:04 PM

1,093 posts, read 389,457 times
How is Falls Church all that fancy? Its fine but hardly a high end community. Tysons is a mall without much else. Alexandria is Arlingtons poor sister.

Great Falls and McLean are definitely in the top three in NoVa. Beyond that its kinda open. If North Arlington was its own thing it’d belong there for sure.

Old 10-08-2019, 04:39 AM

452 posts, read 327,005 times
Ohio:
Bay Village
Indian Hill
Solon

Tennessee:
Collierville
Brentwood
Farragut

Kentucky:
Anchorage
Ft. Thomas
Middletown

Old 10-08-2019, 08:35 AM

4,615 posts, read 2,725,138 times
Montana:

Gallatin Gateway
Big Sky
Bigfork

Old 10-08-2019, 12:10 PM

2,245 posts, read 2,118,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxzz View Post
(1) Stamford/Greenwich/Darien/New Canaan/Westport
(2) New Haven/Milford/Branford/Guilford/Madison
(3) Hartford/West Hartford/Springfield, MA
(4) New London/Mystic/Stonington

Springfield is part of Massachusetts, it feels like a suburb of Hartford with a shared airport.
A few notes:
  • Springfield is a pretty big city in its own right, with its own suburbs. It's definitely a close neighbor of Hartford, but I'd never call it a "suburb of Hartford".
  • Mystic (or half of it at least) is a neighborhood of Stonington. The other major player in the southeast is Norwich.
  • If you give Danbury and Waterbury their own areas (and also give Torrington its own little area), you've basically described CT's official census-designated NECTAs.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:09 PM

390 posts, read 206,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
A few notes:
  • Springfield is a pretty big city in its own right, with its own suburbs. It's definitely a close neighbor of Hartford, but I'd never call it a "suburb of Hartford".
  • Mystic (or half of it at least) is a neighborhood of Stonington. The other major player in the southeast is Norwich.
  • If you give Danbury and Waterbury their own areas (and also give Torrington its own little area), you've basically described CT's official census-designated NECTAs.

You are on the money. my bad, never realized that Mystic is not its own independent town, just a village of Stonington and Groton. Well, I think the Mystic name is more well known than the other two due to its tourist attractions and impressive offerings.

Yes, Springfield is more of twin cities with Hartford together. I was told in CT forum that Hartford is more dominant than Springfield on economy and jobs. They are so close.

Old 10-08-2019, 07:27 PM

2,245 posts, read 2,118,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxzz View Post
my bad, never realized that Mystic is not its own independent town, just a village of Stonington and Groton.
Nbd. I honestly don’t think the majority of people (even most CT folks) know that. I only know because I lived in Groton for a while. (And I love the state, btw!)

Quote:
I was told in CT forum that Hartford is more dominant than Springfield on economy and jobs..
This is definitely true. But still, places like South Hadley, East Longmeadow, and Northampton probably would all identify as Springfield suburbs before Hartford suburbs. (In spite of [probably] pointed efforts at distancing themselves from Springfield).

Last edited by iAMtheVVALRUS; 10-08-2019 at 07:45 PM..

Old 10-10-2019, 10:26 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,040,937 times
North Carolina

1. Pinehurst
2. Cary
3. Biltmore Forest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.