U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 11:27 PM

4,966 posts, read 9,154,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
It is amazing at how much Austin has changed, even since I moved here in 2015. Traffic is much worse, (lets just get that out of the way), but the dining options are endless, there are events on a daily basis, the airport is much busier now with 4 TATL routes, people are out 24/7 in central areas, SXSW and ACL continue to grow incredibly, we are about to get an MLS team, many more urban developments are popping up, and downtown is growing insanely fast, (currently a 848ft, and four 500ft towers under development, with 19 others at 150-499ft). Here are two photos of Austin, one in 2003. and one in 2019. The growth is unbelievable.
Your current picture shows a couple of things wrong with Austin, the insane traffic on I-35 (I assume this was afternoon rush hour) and the thunderstorm coming in from the north (cold front?).

The '03 picture has a lot of 1960's and 1970's buildings making most of Downtown Austin. The current picture shows the growth of the skyline on the western side of the river/lake towards Clarkstown. Most of the modern buildings are there, along with a few fill-ins in the downtown core.

Here in Houston, we're hoping for a supertall to match L.A. and N.Y.C. Downtown L.A. added a couple more buildings to make sure that they kept the "Tallest West of the Mississippi" title. Had the Library Tower fell on 9/11, the Chase Tower would have taken back the title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 04:01 PM

3,706 posts, read 1,787,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Your current picture shows a couple of things wrong with Austin, the insane traffic on I-35 (I assume this was afternoon rush hour) and the thunderstorm coming in from the north (cold front?).

The '03 picture has a lot of 1960's and 1970's buildings making most of Downtown Austin. The current picture shows the growth of the skyline on the western side of the river/lake towards Clarkstown. Most of the modern buildings are there, along with a few fill-ins in the downtown core.

Here in Houston, we're hoping for a supertall to match L.A. and N.Y.C. Downtown L.A. added a couple more buildings to make sure that they kept the "Tallest West of the Mississippi" title. Had the Library Tower fell on 9/11, the Chase Tower would have taken back the title.
Knocking Austin to boast for Houston..... doesn't work. Big Oil didn't even build one for Houston for decades of higher gas prices. Even Dallas wins polls it. Will best Houston in chances.

Increased traffic is common in all Texas fast growing metros. Houston having more previous decades high-rises .... IS NO SCOURGE. Many cities re-purpose them to residential too. Houston should be so lucky to have save more. Not rip much down. Did nothing to help its core vibrancy and increased sterile looks of new and huge garages.

I wish Houstonians well in getting a super-tall it CRAVES. But downplaying Austin's rise..... does nothing for Houston's core.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or