U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 09:53 AM

1,058 posts, read 706,046 times

Advertisements

Since 2010, many cities have been seeing a rapid intensification going on in their cores and metro areas. This can be from new highrises/skyscrapers, infrastructure (transit, new roads, etc) and demographic changes. If you had to pick one city or a top three list of cities between the United States and Canada, which has transformed the most? In addition to this, what is your opinion of the transformation that has happened in these cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 09:57 AM

4,809 posts, read 2,928,356 times
Focusing on downtowns and "city ofs"...

Seattle
Toronto

Miami?
Boston?

Old 10-04-2019, 11:45 AM

4,283 posts, read 9,059,404 times
My picks would be these:

1) Austin, TX
2) Nashville, TN
3) Detroit, MI

Old 10-04-2019, 11:47 AM

13,345 posts, read 15,584,909 times
I’d say Austin, TX and Seattle, WA.

Old 10-04-2019, 12:10 PM

34 posts, read 9,242 times
Seattle.

Along with the new buildings we got lots of dirty needles, human feces, the advent of the iPhone staring, earbuds, and a bunch of people who refuse to talk to each other unless they want to have sex, and then smile while holding hands while walking past it all, as if it was always there, and it was not. It's gotten even worse in the last year. The spot down by melrose is a trash pit now with needles along the sides. That used to be a nice little walk. Its devolution could be chronicled here as a metaphor but it won't be, because no one really cares about anything but themselves.

Old 10-04-2019, 01:04 PM

9,812 posts, read 9,894,828 times
Toronto, Austin, Seattle are tier 1

DC, Boston, Miami tier 2

In terms of city proper/urban core changes.

Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Phoenix have had massive suburban growth though

Old 10-04-2019, 02:23 PM

1,058 posts, read 706,046 times
I wanted to chime in on this but had to think of the right order. As usual, I do want to focus on the cities I've lived in. I'm not gonna mention every single detail, but it will cover many factors. All three cities have seen tremendous growth in their own respects and some are more diverse than others.

1. Toronto: The growth this city continues to go through is mind-boggling honestly. I've never seen a city where it's constantly building 200+ highrises at a time just within the downtown area. The building boom continues to heat up as multiple 300m+ towers are U/C or proposed, which will once again change the face of Toronto. The city keeps growing at nearly 80,000, while the metro is roughly 125-130,000 and this will increase. Metro regions are also building up their own downtowns, so now 50-60+ floor skyscrapers aren't uncommon in the suburbs either. Transit investments need to happen ASAP, but at least there's some U/C and proposed. The city continues to change demographically as well and is one of, if not the most diverse cities in the world. I'm also glad that more green spaces are being proposed for downtown, as it desperately needs them and will add a new dynamic to the city. With all these changes and how intense the city is growing, Toronto is easily #1.

2. Montreal: I was deciding whether I'd put Miami up at #2 or Montreal, but I decided Montreal for a few reasons. The building boom has been constant here, in fact, this is the largest building and economic boom in the history of the city. Foreign investments are inching closer to $3B per year, our airport has added at least 30-40 routes in the past few years and the metropolitan area grew by 60K in 2018. The transformation of downtown (especially Griffintown) is perhaps greater than Brickell due to the lack of residential towers there. Between 2011-2016, this area of downtown grew by 642%!. The downtown growth has also led to more investments in green spaces, with nearly six new parks/public spaces under construction right now. In addition to this, we're building a 67km heavy rail system that'll connect all four regions of the CMA. What this is doing, is making suburban areas make their own downtown areas. Finally, there's Royalmount, a huge megamall that also proposes 6-8,000 units (and towers up to 180m), millions of square feet of office space, hotels and entertainment. Demographically, Montreal is getting more diverse (more Asians, Africans and South Americans) and richer, which is nice to see after it took decades to recover from the downturns of the 90s.

3. Miami: Miami would've been my #2, but due to lack of transit, office construction, green space investments and minimal demographic changes, it's my #3. I'm glad to have witnessed the 2005-07 Brickell boom and also the one that occurred from ~2015 onwards. It was an amazing transformation but unfortunately, the breakneck speed of it really didn't improve the urban fabric. BCC and Miami Worldcentre are two great megaprojects that will help downtown add more character. Also unlike the two cities mentioned above, no significant investments in green spaces nor transit improvements. Sure there's Brightline, but that helps if you want to go to other cities in Florida. Demographically, Miami is still very dominant in Pan America and Miami Dade is experiencing slower population growth as well (under 1% growth in 2017,18 countywide), with the net gain decreasing. Hopefully, the city focuses more on transit, pedestrian friendliness and green space in urban cores and the same applies to the metropolitan area as well. If the city does this and continues the building boom, then it'll become a better and more dynamic city, but at the moment it is still behind.

Old 10-04-2019, 03:22 PM

5,526 posts, read 3,713,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Toronto, Austin, Seattle are tier 1

DC, Boston, Miami tier 2

In terms of city proper/urban core changes.

Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Phoenix have had massive suburban growth though

You obviously haven't been to Atlanta in the past 9 years, if ever. What has occurred is basically the opposite of what you stated.

Old 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM

325 posts, read 200,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You obviously haven't been to Atlanta in the past 9 years, if ever. What has occurred is basically the opposite of what you stated.
I would say it's a mix of both for Atlanta both Urban and SubUrban..

Old 10-04-2019, 03:41 PM

9,812 posts, read 9,894,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
In the COA: +78,000/133 sq miles +586ppsm

COB +78,000/48 Sq miles +1625ppsm

Metro Atlanta +700,000 people 11.2% growth in city proper

Metro Boston +330,000 23.6% of Growth in City proper

Cambridge: +13,600/6.4sq miles +2416ppsm

Chelsea: 5,000/2.2 +2272ppsm

Everett MA 5200/3.4. +1529ppsm

Somerville MA: 5,800/4.1. +1415ppsm

Watertown MA 4,100/4.1. +1000ppsm

In 68.2 sq miles Boston has gained 111,700 that’s in almost exactly 1/2 the area of the entire COA and over 1/3rd of the total metro growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or