U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 11:02 PM

62 posts, read 24,703 times

Advertisements

Live in DFW but never been to San Antonio or Oklahoma City. I guess it's sacrilege that I haven't seen the Alamo yet but to me, Houston and Austin are just more appealing and diverse. I just haven't really had a reason to go to OKC and can't imagine I would coming from a much bigger metro.

Do want to check out Monterrey, Mexico though for nearby international cities.

Last edited by Tigerbait73; 10-04-2019 at 11:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 11:32 PM
Status: "Coffee is at least 3 of my food groups" (set 16 days ago)

1,980 posts, read 920,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I've never been to Houston except to the airport. Houston is about 4.5 hours from me and I live east of Baton Rouge. I don't really have a desire to visit Houston, don't see anything there particularly touristy except maybe NASA Mission Control, and I've already been to Cape Canaveral. I've also never been to Austin and never felt a desire to go.
A couple buddies and I hit up Houston on our road trip from Ohio to New Mexico. There are a few Mexican-American War monuments and Spanish missions if you're into that. The downtown is large and sleek by Southern standards.

We didn't bother detouring north from San Antonio into Austin, yeah. Didn't seem worth it. On to Roswell it was...

Old 10-04-2019, 11:59 PM

6,739 posts, read 10,628,272 times
Covered every major city within a 500 mile radius of Denver. Haven't been to Lubbock or Flagstaff, but I don't really count them as major.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerbait73 View Post
Live in DFW but never been to San Antonio or Oklahoma City. I guess it's sacrilege that I haven't seen the Alamo yet but to me, Houston and Austin are just more appealing and diverse. I just haven't really had a reason to go to OKC and can't imagine I would coming from a much bigger metro.

Do want to check out Monterrey, Mexico though for nearby international cities.
Don't waste your time. The Alamo is the single most underwhelming and overrated tourist destination in Texas. It's just a church about the size of a high school gymnasium with a bunch of display cases in it. The courtyard out back is more impressive than the building itself.

The Battle of The Alamo was so important that the 50th Anniversary wasn't even commemorated. In fact, nobody gave a rip about The Alamo for nearly a century. The building was neglected and today's facade looks nothing like it did during the time of the siege.

If you're in San Antonio for some other reason and you've got time to kill go see it, but don't make a specific trip there from DFW. It's not worth the effort.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 10-05-2019 at 12:09 AM..

Old 10-05-2019, 12:07 AM

7,437 posts, read 4,071,478 times
Never been to Tucson or Phoenix from ABQ

Old 10-05-2019, 12:16 AM

934 posts, read 440,229 times
I live in Wyoming and from the states that border us we haven't been to the bigger cities of Denver, Colorado, or
Billings, Montana.
Even in our own state we haven't even been to our biggest city Cheyenne.

Old 10-05-2019, 12:19 AM

1,221 posts, read 389,268 times
Boston is a 1 hour 30 minute drive from my house. New York City is a 1 hour 50 minute drive from my house. I've only been to Boston once as far as I've been told, when I was 2 years old to see an aunt who was working at Children's Hospital. I've been "to" New York City 4 times as in visited the city but I've been within the New York City limits upwards of around 30 separate times counting the 15 or so trips to and from Philadelphia to visit family via New York City. Later, we started taking the Tappan Zee Bridge around the city to avoid the George Washington Bridge.

Old 10-05-2019, 09:27 AM

7,282 posts, read 4,371,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Never been to Tucson or Phoenix from ABQ
Take the back way through Malpais/Grants/Quemado into Springerville and use the 60 coming into Phoenix from the east. Exceptionally beautiful drive

Old 10-05-2019, 11:49 AM

4,009 posts, read 3,204,178 times
So, I guess on several different levels-first, I've been to all 50 states and capitals, and I've been to just about every big league city in the US, though with varying levels of experience, and there are a few major US downtowns I've never spent any time in-with that said though, none close to me like that-of the Southeast major cities though, I have very limited experience with Nashville, and the most recent time I passed through Raleigh NC was 2005 I believe.

For international cities... by the bird distance, I am located only 308 miles from Havana-and I've never been there, so that would have to qualify.

Within the state itself-Cape Coral is actually now the 8th largest city proper by population in Florida, and the primary city (again, by population, not influence), in the rapidly growing Cape Coral-Fort Myers Metro Area, which is now the 48th largest combined statistical area in the US, right behind Buffalo, and likely to surpass it in population within the next couple years. I guess it actually makes sense, but having been to Fort Myers-their downtown is very well done, walkable and happening for being such a small city. I'm about 76 miles from Cape Coral, for reference.

Old 10-05-2019, 01:46 PM

1,723 posts, read 1,023,269 times
Chicago

Never been to Milwaukee, Peoria, and Grand Rapids

Old 10-05-2019, 02:16 PM

1,324 posts, read 960,632 times
From LA, never been to Portland or Boise. I've been through Sacramento, but haven't really seen much there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or