U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-06-2019, 07:41 PM
 
4,070 posts, read 3,640,020 times
Reputation: 6562

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post

Detroit is not as bad because many who left the city just moved to the suburbs and it gets people from Canada as well as all over Michigan.
Detroit’s influence in Michigan is somewhat limited to about as far west as Lansing, as well as places east of I-75 the further north you go. It does have some draw from the western side of the state, but is somewhat limited due to Chicago’s equally as close proximity. When I first moved to Western Michigan I was pretty surprised at how oblivious the natives were to the Detroit area, given that it’s the signature city of the state. They knew almost nothing about the area(outside of sports teams ironically).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-06-2019, 07:47 PM
 
5,907 posts, read 14,201,829 times
Reputation: 3550
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Detroit’s influence in Michigan is somewhat limited to about as far west as Lansing, as well as places east of I-75 the further north you go. It does have some draw from the western side of the state, but is somewhat limited due to Chicago’s equally as close proximity. When I first moved to Western Michigan I was pretty surprised at how oblivious the natives were to the Detroit area, given that it’s the signature city of the state. They knew almost nothing about the area(outside of sports teams ironically).
Reminds me of Wisconsin. I was surprised how few people from central, northern and western WI know much about Milwaukee, though it's the state's largest city and metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2019, 08:21 PM
 
4,070 posts, read 3,640,020 times
Reputation: 6562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Reminds me of Wisconsin. I was surprised how few people from central, northern and western WI know much about Milwaukee, though it's the state's largest city and metro.
No they tend to be more centric to the Twin Cities in those areas. Understated in this thread so far is Minneapolis which has a pull from as far away as central North Dakota, all the way to the western portions of the Upper Peninsula. It’s huge geographical area, but to put in perspective is still a couple million less people than a Detroit, which is contained to a much smaller geographical area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2019, 03:36 AM
 
35 posts, read 11,999 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Detroit’s influence in Michigan is somewhat limited to about as far west as Lansing, as well as places east of I-75 the further north you go. It does have some draw from the western side of the state, but is somewhat limited due to Chicago’s equally as close proximity. When I first moved to Western Michigan I was pretty surprised at how oblivious the natives were to the Detroit area, given that it’s the signature city of the state. They knew almost nothing about the area(outside of sports teams ironically).
I believe with time that Grand Rapids' presence has cut into Detroit's influence but Detroit still is "the city" that most on the west side of the lower peninsula go to for amenities that you still cant get on the west side of the state. At this point, it's mostly entertainment (sports, concerts, theatre...) that is the draw but certain retail also (such as IKEA or high end retail).
I'd also mention that Detroit's sphere of influence goes out almost to London, ON and as far SW as Fort Wayne and even farther south than Toledo. Geographically its smaller than say Minneapolis but in terms of area, that is still quite large.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2019, 12:30 PM
 
5,701 posts, read 7,137,973 times
Reputation: 2960
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonro View Post
I believe with time that Grand Rapids' presence has cut into Detroit's influence but Detroit still is "the city" that most on the west side of the lower peninsula go to for amenities that you still cant get on the west side of the state. At this point, it's mostly entertainment (sports, concerts, theatre...) that is the draw but certain retail also (such as IKEA or high end retail).
I'd also mention that Detroit's sphere of influence goes out almost to London, ON and as far SW as Fort Wayne and even farther south than Toledo. Geographically its smaller than say Minneapolis but in terms of area, that is still quite large.
Many Michigan west-siders go to Chicagoland for heavy duty shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2019, 12:33 PM
 
5,701 posts, read 7,137,973 times
Reputation: 2960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Its surprisingly how far away the Washington DC area spreads. Some counties in West Virginia are still considered part of Greater Washington for some reason. Some counties in Pennsylvania are technically classified as part of the New York City metro.
There are some who live in Pennsylvania and commute into Washington, DC daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2019, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Seattle
5,292 posts, read 3,239,913 times
Reputation: 3726
People from Monterrey go to San Antonio and Dallas to shop all the time. OKC is a stones throw from Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2019, 05:34 PM
 
35 posts, read 11,999 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Many Michigan west-siders go to Chicagoland for heavy duty shopping.
Not sure that's the case much anymore. In the last 5 years, the Grand Rapids area opened an outlet mall and has had a major addition to one of the shopping malls. I'm fairly certain this has cut significantly into the "heavy duty shopping" that used to occur. If Michigan west siders leave the area to shop, it's for retail that isn't available (ex. IKEA or higher end retail).

Last edited by bartonro; 10-08-2019 at 06:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2019, 07:07 PM
 
4,070 posts, read 3,640,020 times
Reputation: 6562
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonro View Post
Not sure that's the case much anymore. In the last 5 years, the Grand Rapids area opened an outlet mall and has had a major addition to one of the shopping malls. I'm fairly certain this has cut significantly into the "heavy duty shopping" that used to occur. If Michigan west siders leave the area to shop, it's for retail that isn't available (ex. IKEA or higher end retail).
I think that's what the poster meant by heavy duty shopping(i.e. elite market brands).

Though I mostly agree with you. Grand Rapids has enough of a retail scene to where one doesn't need to leave for everyday things. Unless you need a pair of Louboutin's or whatever. Even then there are still some options to cater to that audience. Grand Rapids has an adequate enough retail, restaurant, and entertainment scene to where it has it's own "Hinterlands". By no means disproportionately large per the thread title, but enough to limit the influence of Detroit, and Chicago on the Western side of the state. It is the first go to place for Kalamazoo/Battle Creek, and the western Lansing area, and as far away as Benton Harbor and South Bend(to a lesser extent) the South, and Traverse City to the north.

Last edited by mjlo; 10-08-2019 at 07:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2019, 02:59 AM
 
Location: The canyon (with my pistols and knife)
13,295 posts, read 18,266,111 times
Reputation: 14802
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
The City

Boston: NE CT, MA, RI, NH, ME, NH
New York City: NY, North NJ, NE PA, SW CT
Philadelphia: East PA, NJ Inner Philly Suburbs
San Fran: Most of Northern/Mid California
Chicago: Illinois, Iowa, NW Indiana
Miami: SW FL

From what Ive heard.
Philadelphia hinterland

Pennsylvania east of the Susquehanna River, and south of the Allegheny Front and Pocono Mountains
South Jersey
Most of Delaware
Maryland east of the Susquehanna River and north of the Chester River
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top