U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 05:39 PM

1,356 posts, read 592,707 times

Advertisements

For you, Iím guessing no. When someone complains about 110 summers living in La Habra, where I doubt it even got to 110 this year, and probably only a handful of days actually hit 100, leads me to believe youíll find the cold and snow very similar. Sorry, but itís been my experience that someone who exaggerates the weather to the extreme does it for all conditions.

As someone who grew up in Southern California and went to college in Michigan of course you acclimate. It doesnít mean youíll come to love it though, some do. Itís not the cold, per se, but what comes with it. Freezing rain, scraping windshields, shoveling steps/walks/driveways, stifling forced heat in stores, homes, and cars, driving, etc, etc, are all some of the lovely side effects. The hardest thing for me was the days on end with grey skies, and the leafless trees. The cold was easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 08:43 PM

12,321 posts, read 10,650,100 times
Why not? People from the Caribbean, Latin America and Africa have moved to the northern US cities (and Canada) for generations and lived to tell about it.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:19 PM

2,327 posts, read 1,171,012 times
Well, does something different run through your veins, than runs through mine, here in the Midwest? Or, does the same thing run through our veins, and you just think yours is, somehow, different because you live in California? If so, how is it different than the blood that runs through our veins, here in the Midwest? Because the blood we're born with, stays with us, no matter where we live, so I don't think anyone gets anti-freeze in their blood, on the chance they might live where it snows.

I say, you adjust or you don't...it's all in your attitude because (don't let this come as a shock), we're all made the same.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:43 PM

14,185 posts, read 20,107,754 times
Nope, you'll probably suffer from frozen blood the first time snow falls.

Come on, is this a real thread?

I'm from Louisiana and Colorado winters are sometimes milder than the ones in Louisiana.

Old 10-07-2019, 10:15 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,137,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaZ View Post
I will be moving out of California next summer and I am considering Southern Utah, Northern Arizona, or Colorado. How hard is it to get used to cold and snow? I am tired of the heat and 110 degree summers, but I don’t want the other extreme, either. Everyone says California has the best climate, well I am trying to find the SECOND best climate. I have no experience with snow, I don’t mind a few inches, but can’t do feet and feet of snow. Is it possible to acclimate? And if so, how long does it take?
Yes. Just make sure it is also sunny when it is cold. Makes a big difference.

Old 10-07-2019, 10:51 PM

6,054 posts, read 4,031,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Yes. Just make sure it is also sunny when it is cold. Makes a big difference.
Californians do fine in colder climates but they almost all will complain about it. As in “I’m just not used to this!”

Old 10-07-2019, 10:55 PM

1,281 posts, read 955,834 times
I'm a SoCal native that left the area just as soon as I was able to. Lived there until I was 21.

My heat tolerance sucks lol. Moved to Alaska in 2015

Old 10-07-2019, 11:01 PM

708 posts, read 220,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I'm from Louisiana and Colorado winters are sometimes milder than the ones in Louisiana.
Nonsense.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:08 PM

708 posts, read 220,591 times
The harder part is adjusting to the change in scenery. Trading the beautiful vibrancy of a subtropical SoCal winter for the colorless, barren North...

Old 10-07-2019, 11:09 PM

6,054 posts, read 4,031,331 times
I think the point here is Colorado has major extremes in weather but overall Colorado at ALL locations is much colder than Louisiana.

Here is an example of the extremes for this week:

https://www.google.com/search?q=denv...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Wow that is almost a 50 degree temp drop in just one day. Common for Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or