U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 02:14 PM

1,604 posts, read 2,596,632 times

Advertisements

As someone who's born and raised in Southern California. It took me while to get used to below freezing temperatures when I lived in Virginia. Cold to me was under 60 degrees in So Cal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2019, 11:34 PM

4,966 posts, read 9,156,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Why don't you try Northern California instead?
I don't think the OP can afford NorCal. Bay Area is way more expensive than L.A./O.C./I.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
If you want to stay in CA, why not move closer to the water?
I was about to say the same, but the OP seems to live in inland SoCal. The Mojave is a 180 degree contrast from the basin and valleys on the coastal side of the San Gabriels.

Coastal (Southern) California is the only place in the U.S. that is Goldilocks' "just right" climate/weather wise for the O.P. It's expensive though!

Old 10-25-2019, 04:11 PM

3,218 posts, read 3,180,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The Californians complain a lot but I've never seen one lying dead at the side of the road from hypothermia, so I guess they adapt.

Their whining can get tiresome, though.
LOLOLOLOLLLL!

As a Californian myself looking to move out of state I'm definitely going to remember that one!
Thanks for that! Hahahahahahaaaa!

Old 10-25-2019, 04:41 PM

3,218 posts, read 3,180,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
I am a native Orange County CA guy, and moved to Massachusetts and then Chicago. I have to admit just the thought of first winter drove me crazy with anticipation. Then it happened. No big deal. It is like diving into a cold pool of water, at once shocking, and then refreshing. Now I actually look forward to the change in seasons; Thanksgiving feels like Thanksgiving, Christmas feels like Christmas, President's day feels like well, President's day; you get the picture.

I agree with the wise poster who said there are thousands of Canadians (and Chicagoans, NY ers, and Minneapolis people ) who grew up in the Tropics or desert and adjusted just fine. So many Somalis in Minnesota from extreme heat, Puerto Ricans in NY, Mexicans in Chicago and one seem to complain. Think of where you want to be or not be, and buy a coat. It's that easy. Don't overthink it.
Yes Please!

Very good points! I'm in Orange County as well and my tastes in weather have changed over my lifetime.
Grew up in the hot smoggy San Fernando Valley of LA county... as a kid it was fun to swim in the pool and sunbathe during Christmas vacation and watch an egg cook on the hot asphalt during summer.

First husband and I moved to South Orange County and I was cold all the time because it was closer to the ocean! We'd go for a walk and if it was in the 60's I'd be wearing a winter coat, but then got used to it.

My second husband is from England and after spending bits of time over there, something just clicked and I absolutely loved the weather there! Loved the rainstorms, the green, actually didn't even mind the grey skies. When he moved here permanently, he had a job in North Orange County, but we did something crazy and moved up to Crestline in the San Bernardino mountains and we commuted every day together. (and lived for the weekends!) Yes it gets snow in the winter up there, and I was nervous about it at first. Our first snowstorm I put on a shirt, sweater, overcoat, scarf, hat, gloves... looking like ball of yarn! But by the end of the season, I was just grabbing a jacket! Yes! Acclimation does happen! Now shoveling the 36 steps up to our house was another matter! Very "Alpine" up in that town! Anyway, because of a change in job we had to become "flatlanders" once again, but we sure did love living there. We want to move away from California now, and we'll definitely be looking for "4 seasons".

Old 10-25-2019, 04:47 PM

810 posts, read 238,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
We actually have trees and drinkable water here, so it's not all bad.
There's drinkable water and trees in SoCal as well. More variety with the trees in SoCal as well. Not sure what your point is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
It's only "barren" looking in the dead of winter and usually in places where there are no evergreens. There is color everywhere. The colors are just different. Winter scenery in northern regions can be gorgeous. The planet would be a very boring place if it was all the same.

FWIW, I grew up in that "subtropical" SoCal and hated it. Hardly any seasonal change at all. Dull as cardboard.
Ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Yes, it's just so terrible up here where I live in the winter. I mean, how could anyone stand looking at this all winter?
Yeah, that's not really helping your case. Bleck

Old 10-25-2019, 05:50 PM

483 posts, read 193,239 times
Nope. Difference between CA and much of the South in terms of winter cold (except FL and south Texas) is substantial. When I lived in interior SC, it could get as cold as 5-10 (very rare), but 20-25 was semi-common in the night. Normal days were like 55 at the warmest but days in the 40s were nothing rare.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:40 AM
sub

1,104 posts, read 515,304 times
I guess I've moved around so much and travelled so much that I forget how different it can be for other people.
To me, it's not that big a deal. I have my preferences for sure, but I guess I could live quite literally anywhere weather-wise if I absolutely had to.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:42 AM
sub

1,104 posts, read 515,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Yes, it's just so terrible up here where I live in the winter. I mean, how could anyone stand looking at this all winter?
That picture's beautiful.

Old 10-28-2019, 08:39 AM

6,864 posts, read 8,447,931 times
I moved from socal to michigan many years ago. Had to buy a coat. Problem solved.

Well i did buy better winter clothes as well and had to learn to drive in the snow. But it was a stimulating adventure.

Old 10-28-2019, 10:02 AM

7,325 posts, read 14,381,299 times
Some of the most obvious reasons Californians often complain about the cold are:

1) They just flew out of SoCal where it was 68 and landed in the Midwest/Northeast where it's 20 degrees. That big of a shock is always going to be felt. For everyone already in the locale they've flown into, it's been gradually falling from hot summer into cool fall into cold winter. It wasn't 68 yesterday and 20 today. That can happen, but it's not common. We've been able to slowly adjust back into the colder weather again. There's a reason 55 in October feels cold, while 55 in April feels refreshingly warm.

2) When you live in a place like SoCal, for good reason, you aren't stocking up on appropriate winter clothing. For people who go through a real winter every year, we have either several years or a lifelong compilation of appropriate footwear ranging from insulated shoes to lightweight boots to heavy snow boots. We have thick winter socks, a few long underwear, thin gloves we can use our phones with, thick gloves for the really cold temperatures, lightweight scarves, heavy duty scarves that can cover your entire face, numerous beanies to match outfits, a daily winter coat, sometimes even that really extra thick parka for the coldest of the coldest days. When you're coming from SoCal to visit NYC in winter, you likely don't have socks and boots that are keeping your feet as warm as ours. Your coat isn't as warm because in SoCal you chose style over function, whereas we go for both here. You're underestimating the value of long underwear when you're walking around playing tourist all day. I'm not wearing long underwear to sit in my office, but when friends visit and I know we'll be walking around for hours in freezing weather, I'm definitely putting a pair on.

3) You're only here visiting usually, so you're not getting the full feeling of winter. You're running around playing tourist, but you won't get the coziness of staying inside on a cold weekend watching the snow fall with your favorite movies/shows and warm cup of your beverage of choice. You're not getting the Thanksgiving and Christmas/Chanukah parties with the real feeling of winter. But if you are attending one, you'll love it. Never had a friend visit me during a holiday party and not comment about how it felt so much more appropriate in this weather.

4) If you're moving to the cold, a common pastime for Californians is to brag about the weather in California. Brag all you want, but I've lived both and much prefer the seasons in NYC. But...to each their own. But when you're moving here, you're likely keeping up that pastime of complaining about any weather below 55 or above 80.

The most important thing to take away from these discussions is that people who don't dress appropriately for winter are going to hate it. Winter clothing exists for a reason. Take full advantage of it. Many people don't, but prefer to complain all winter long while wearing their converse walking through puddles and "wrapped up" in their leather jacket instead of a parka with hobo gloves instead of real gloves and no hat on because it'll mess up their hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or