U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 06:09 PM

11 posts, read 6,745 times

Advertisements

I will be moving out of California next summer and I am considering Southern Utah, Northern Arizona, or Colorado. How hard is it to get used to cold and snow? I am tired of the heat and 110 degree summers, but I don’t want the other extreme, either. Everyone says California has the best climate, well I am trying to find the SECOND best climate. I have no experience with snow, I don’t mind a few inches, but can’t do feet and feet of snow. Is it possible to acclimate? And if so, how long does it take?

Last edited by EmmaZ; 10-04-2019 at 06:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 06:36 PM

1,603 posts, read 2,081,090 times
Why would you move somewhere cold if you don't want to deal with cold weather? It's not like your choices are only 110 degree summers or a place that's frigid. There are plenty of places in the west that don't experience those kinds of extremes. I would recommend looking at Prescott, AZ or St. George, UT. You will experience cold during the winter, but you will not be socked in by feet of snow. It will take a little bit to acclimate, but you will get used to it as long as you have warm clothes.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:08 PM

1,165 posts, read 413,988 times
When people say California has the best weather they don't mean Needles or Brawley or some other inland desert town with a 110 degrees in summer. That's just desert climate which isn't the worst but also not the best. Make your way to the coast somewhere if you don't want 110 degrees but also don't want to freeze.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:19 PM

5,490 posts, read 2,092,375 times
Canada has a millon immigrants from tropical countries. They do just fine.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:26 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,767,532 times
There's the cliche of there's no harsh weather, just inappropriately dressed individuals, and that's partially true. With all the nice winter gear available now, if your decked up, 10 F with 40 mph wind isn't annoying; I can snowmobile all day in that.

But most days you don't have goggles and snowpants on. If you let your house swing with the temps, and don't keep it locked at 72F, it'll be uncomfortable the first week or 2, but you really will adapt, and you can be comfortable in the 30-50 F weather that's common over winter. It's been researched that your body does take a little bit to reajust it's homeostatic temperature and once it adjusts, you can acclimate to being comfortable at a different temp. It's not something unique that I would be able to do since I was raised in Colorado and you can't do since you weren't.

Does CO or UT have the 2nd best climate? They are often hyped that way. Seasonal, continental climates have more 'challenges' than the west coast, but whether the mountain west or the plains or the central eastern US has the 2nd best depends on your moisture preference. Do you like dry air or does it really bother your skin? Do you sweat a lot in humid environments? Do you sunburn easily? Does brown seem ugly and is greenery much preferred? Do you hate bugs? Do foggy cloudy days really get to you?

Old 10-04-2019, 08:26 PM

88,026 posts, read 104,255,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaZ View Post
I will be moving out of California next summer and I am considering Southern Utah, Northern Arizona, or Colorado. How hard is it to get used to cold and snow? I am tired of the heat and 110 degree summers, but I don’t want the other extreme, either. Everyone says California has the best climate, well I am trying to find the SECOND best climate. I have no experience with snow, I don’t mind a few inches, but can’t do feet and feet of snow. Is it possible to acclimate? And if so, how long does it take?
Some get used to it here in Colorado, some don't. That's all I can say. Hard to tell which one you will be.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:28 PM

1,095 posts, read 488,579 times
Why don't you try Northern California instead? I only visited SoCal when I was little, so I will not remember, but SoCal heat sounds a bit hot to me IMO.

I visit my family in the Bay Area sometimes and I love the weather there. It's a bit humid in the winter and a tad cold in the winter, but you will get use to that I think.

Also, you didn't mention anything about cost of living, so are you trying to get away from California's expensiveness.

Old 10-07-2019, 02:06 PM

11,263 posts, read 22,712,704 times
Of course. I have multiple friends and coworkers in Chicago who moved here from LA and they are doing fine. They all tend to like the change of seasons and once they got the warm jacket down and realized that life goes on just as much in winter as warmer seasons they were totally fine with it.

Old 10-07-2019, 04:18 PM
sub

1,108 posts, read 516,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Canada has a millon immigrants from tropical countries. They do just fine.
Yeah it’s not nearly as big a deal as people make it out to be.
I’m from the southeast and get along just fine in ice fishing territory.

Old 10-07-2019, 04:51 PM

183 posts, read 82,613 times
Well usually people experience at least one winter in their new city to see how much they can tolerate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or