U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 05:56 PM

3,220 posts, read 3,184,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericaBravoCharles View Post
The Midwest is an interesting place. The Dakotas, Kansas, Missouri, and Indiana are places I can easily do without (I've been to all except North Dakota). However, Chicago is a city that is so undeservedly trashed, so often, even if it is prone to longstanding problems with crime and corruption; the surrounding river bluffs and old towns throughout northern Illinois make for a nice region overall. If I were younger and had a higher tolerance for the cold, I could easily live on Chicago's north side. Ohio isn't a state that I necessarily want to live in, but its charms, merits, cities and towns are all severely underappreciated on a national scale. I could easily live in Minnesota (sans the Twin Cities), Wisconsin (sans Milwaukee), and Michigan (sans Detroit)--again, if it weren't for the cold. But then the cold winters are an important part of what makes the Midwest, the Midwest.
Curious what you didn't like about South Dakota? Only spent a few days there in and around the Black Hills, Spearfish, (didn't care much for Deadwood, just a tourist trap to me) and the Badlands. Didn't make it over to Sioux City though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 10:37 PM

13,390 posts, read 24,946,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Curious what you didn't like about South Dakota? Only spent a few days there in and around the Black Hills, Spearfish, (didn't care much for Deadwood, just a tourist trap to me) and the Badlands. Didn't make it over to Sioux City though.
You probably mean Sioux Falls. Sioux City is in Iowa.

Old 10-25-2019, 10:58 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,896,373 times
Plenty of places offer California-esque lifestyle. But you are going to be giving up something. Is it dealing with snow? Is it moving to a rural community with no jobs (or some just discovered and now expensive with no jobs?) Is it dealing with extreme heat?

You aren't going to get California with Missouri prices. It's just not going to happen. I can think of a couple places that come close... but again rural with no jobs and a depressed economy... they are hidden gems in that sense. They are also fairly isolated, unless you are into supercomputing.

The thing is is we could have California with Missouri prices, if people let higher density buildings get built. But Californians are the ultimate NIMBYs, and spreading that logic here throughout the West is the reason that even Phoenix now is fairly expensive. Phoenix, out of all places, should not be expensive.

You can't have your cake and eat it too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or