U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 05:23 PM

11 posts, read 5,744 times

Advertisements

I will be moving out of California next summer. Iím tired of 110 degree summers, I want somewhere cooler, but not freezing. I am a single, 32-year-old female, no kids, who will be renting initially. I am a dog and horse trainer, so I need to be in a strong horse community. I can maybe live somewhere with a little bit of snow, but not a ton. Looking for semi-rural and a LOT less traffic than L.A. Preferably within 6 hour drive time to Vegas to visit family. Also, somewhere where thereís a strong sense of community and people are really friendly and outgoing. I know Iím asking for a lot here. Any ideas? TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 07:45 AM

21,513 posts, read 31,109,689 times
A six hour drive to Vegas is going to have to be left at the curb and just count on flying. Otherwise across the board I think a city like Richmond VA would be a great fit. It's friendly, affordable, has manageable summers, less congestion yet a sizable city for amenities and is surrounded by many areas where the "town and country" lifestyle of horses and dog-showing is prevalent.

Old 10-05-2019, 07:54 AM

20,162 posts, read 9,624,682 times
Colorado, and Wyoming would be good fits. Cooler, especially more northern parts of CO. The Front Range has become expensive, especially real estate, but you don't have to live there depending on your job situation. I'm looking at the Cheyenne area for my next move, and like to have horses as well.

Old 10-05-2019, 07:56 AM
sub

986 posts, read 493,179 times
All that within 6 hours of Vegas?

As much as the Ozarks aren't my thing, a TON of Californians find their way there. It checks most boxes, and is popular with horse people. I prefer Missouri to Arkansas (it is also slightly cooler on average), but some people visa versa that.
Kentucky, Tennessee, and the Carolina's might also be a consideration.
If you're willing to go out on a limb and bundle up a little more, I'd strongly recommend the upper midwest.

Old 10-05-2019, 07:56 AM

7,273 posts, read 6,452,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaZ View Post
I will be moving out of California next summer. Iím tired of 110 degree summers, I want somewhere cooler, but not freezing. I am a single, 32-year-old female, no kids, who will be renting initially. I am a dog and horse trainer, so I need to be in a strong horse community. I can maybe live somewhere with a little bit of snow, but not a ton. Looking for semi-rural and a LOT less traffic than L.A. Preferably within 6 hour drive time to Vegas to visit family. Also, somewhere where thereís a strong sense of community and people are really friendly and outgoing. I know Iím asking for a lot here. Any ideas? TIA
I am going to nominate Chino Valley, Arizona and Cedar City, Utah. I don't know if they are big enough communities to support a dog and horse trainer but they have dogs and horses there.

Old 10-05-2019, 12:29 PM

13,364 posts, read 24,848,271 times
Norco, CA OP, but you'll need a time machine back to the 1990's, AT LEAST.

6 hour drive only gives you places in CA, NV, AZ, and UT. Learn to love to fly. It's very easy to fly to Vegas from a LOT of places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Colorado, and Wyoming would be good fits. Cooler, especially more northern parts of CO. The Front Range has become expensive, especially real estate, but you don't have to live there depending on your job situation. I'm looking at the Cheyenne area for my next move, and like to have horses as well.
Pilot, I myself don't think CO/WY are good fits for OP, but for you, definitely add far Western Nebraska to your search if you haven't already.

Old 10-05-2019, 12:47 PM

1,094 posts, read 390,842 times
OP posted the same thread basically with a slightly different header yesterday about half an hour before this one...its only about a dozen rows below this one on this page. I am not sure what the point is here?

Old 10-05-2019, 01:30 PM

5,298 posts, read 3,242,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
OP posted the same thread basically with a slightly different header yesterday about half an hour before this one...its only about a dozen rows below this one on this page. I am not sure what the point is here?
Itís to make sure everyone knows sheís had it with California.

Old 10-05-2019, 03:21 PM

283 posts, read 300,664 times
Flagstaff?

Old 10-05-2019, 05:36 PM

3,015 posts, read 3,741,763 times
I recommend that fed up Californians move anywhere except where I live.

- signed the rest of America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or