U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 11:15 PM

6,175 posts, read 4,102,930 times

Advertisements

Well, in my area this morning it was below freezing, and yet I saw about 50% of men, (again, usually younger) wearing shorts. I seriously don't get it. This is the Tri-Cities,WA, a desert area, so I give them some benefit of the doubt, but obviously they are oblivious to the current conditions. Or they simply don't care. Again, I think it is habit over reality. I really don't care, but just observational commentary!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 12:19 AM

19,721 posts, read 7,394,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Phoenix probably has a solid 2 days of jacket weather, which is decreasing due to climate change, something I really hate, because I love wearing sweaters and I run cold naturally. As much as I love living in the desert, hot deserts and I really don't get along. Cold arid places are where I need to be.
I've lived here 18 years, and I disagree. I need at least a windbreaker when it's below 65° at night, or below 59° during the day. So I generally need minimum a windbreaker in the early morning from mid/late October until late April; and from November until about mid March, I at least need a windbreaker or coat up to about 11am or noon, and in Dec-Feb, I put my windbreaker on when the sun goes down in the evening

Old 10-10-2019, 12:22 AM

19,721 posts, read 7,394,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Anyone notice that some guys continue to wear shorts even when the weather turns cooler, or even cold? I think it may be more of a repetitive habit from summer that continues into fall, until they realize it is way too cold for shorts. I see this with teens and younger men especially. I just shake my head and wonder why!
I wear shorts as long as the high temp will be 60° or higher, and here that's almost every day as our avg high bottoms out at 65° in late December. We usually get 5 to 10 days with highs in the 50's, I wear long pants those days

Old 10-10-2019, 12:30 AM

6,175 posts, read 4,102,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I wear shorts as long as the high temp will be 60° or higher, and here that's almost every day as our avg high bottoms out at 65° in late December. We usually get 5 to 10 days with highs in the 50's, I wear long pants those days
We get an occasional low in the 20's in the fall, and the dudes still wear shorts! LOL.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 10-10-2019 at 12:49 AM..

Old 10-10-2019, 10:53 AM

26,119 posts, read 24,891,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I thought I read somewhere that the Japanese school kids were made to wear shorts and skirts throughout the year even if it was cold and snowy to build character, not sure if that was true or if they still do that.
I wouldn't doubt it. I had to do that in elementary school, but I don't think that anyone has to do that these days.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM

4,657 posts, read 2,756,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I thought I read somewhere that the Japanese school kids were made to wear shorts and skirts throughout the year even if it was cold and snowy to build character, not sure if that was true or if they still do that.
I read somewhere that the British royal kids are required to wear shorts for X amount of years. After I saw that I started to notice the little boys were indeed always in shorts. Not that the U.K. gets much of a winter.

Old 10-11-2019, 12:23 PM

6,542 posts, read 16,407,950 times
I wore a light jacket on Wednesday night for the first time since April. It's "sleep with the windows open" season here. Lows in the 50s at night, highs in the 60s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.