Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 09:58 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times

Advertisements

Anyone notice that some guys continue to wear shorts even when the weather turns cooler, or even cold? I think it may be more of a repetitive habit from summer that continues into fall, until they realize it is way too cold for shorts. I see this with teens and younger men especially. I just shake my head and wonder why!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 06:10 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Anyone notice that some guys continue to wear shorts even when the weather turns cooler, or even cold? I think it may be more of a repetitive habit from summer that continues into fall, until they realize it is way too cold for shorts. I see this with teens and younger men especially. I just shake my head and wonder why!
They think they look good in shorts?

Old 10-08-2019, 06:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
In Colorado, it would be a rare day that you'd need a jacket at "high noon" in July or August, unless it's raining and that doesn't happen very often at noon. However, you might need one in the evening, as the temp drops fast once the sun goes down. There's about a 30 degree difference between the daytime high and the nighttime low in the summer, especially on the hotter days. The rest of the year, you'd need a jacket on a given day, even in May, June and September.
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/de...weather/347810

Old 10-08-2019, 06:41 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
They think they look good in shorts?
Perhaps. Though most don't. I think it is just laziness and/or a comfort thing until they realize they are freezing their legs off!

Old 10-08-2019, 07:21 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
Phoenix probably has a solid 2 days of jacket weather, which is decreasing due to climate change, something I really hate, because I love wearing sweaters and I run cold naturally. As much as I love living in the desert, hot deserts and I really don't get along. Cold arid places are where I need to be.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:27 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Phoenix probably has a solid 2 days of jacket weather, which is decreasing due to climate change, something I really hate, because I love wearing sweaters and I run cold naturally. As much as I love living in the desert, hot deserts and I really don't get along. Cold arid places are where I need to be.
Move to Montana. It's considered a high plains desert. It gets hot as hell in the summer but nice and cold in the winter.

Old 10-09-2019, 05:15 PM

405 posts, read 394,796 times
Quote:
I do this lol. A big part of the reason is convenience and habit like you said. Wearing shorts, especially when heading out to the gym, is easy. Not looking forward to having to wear coats and long clothes to the gym and then have to change out

Old 10-09-2019, 06:10 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
I used to wear short skirts and had bare legs in the 1970s all winter in Northeastern PA - when I was an infant. Now, I'm cold when the temperature drops below 70. I'm wearing long sleeves below 75. I take a light jacket to the supermarket during the summer.

Old 10-09-2019, 06:45 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Move to Montana. It's considered a high plains desert. It gets hot as hell in the summer but nice and cold in the winter.
Montana winters scare me a little bit... my dad did a year at Montana State and he told me all about the snowfall. But my dad also hates "the North" (in reference to places like Prescott, AZ, Sedona, AZ, etc. and any weather colder than that) so again it's up to preferences I suppose. Prescott doesn't even really get cold, like at all, but I guess that's why they moved to Florida.

I'd like to live in a city though so Montana is out of the question. I wouldn't mind more small town living if I was married and had stable jobs with a good marriage on top of it. I'm in my mid-20s and it really is hard for youngins to have decent social lives living in sparsely populated areas, which is why they can't seem to find people to hire or retain people for very long. It is beautiful up there on the contrary.

Any summer cooler than Phoenix is nice in my eyes, so I never worry about summers anywhere. However, that does eliminate most of the South, as it is definitely hotter than here I'd say.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:22 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I used to wear short skirts and had bare legs in the 1970s all winter in Northeastern PA - when I was an infant. Now, I'm cold when the temperature drops below 70. I'm wearing long sleeves below 75. I take a light jacket to the supermarket during the summer.
I thought I read somewhere that the Japanese school kids were made to wear shorts and skirts throughout the year even if it was cold and snowy to build character, not sure if that was true or if they still do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.