Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 09:29 AM

23 posts, read 28,325 times

Advertisements

Hi! Looking for information about the Milwaukee and Kansas City MO areas. My husband may have the opportunity to relocate to one of these areas next year and we are considering moving. We moved to the Dayton area (for his work) from Dallas-Fort Worth a year ago (both of us not originally from DFW but spent most of our lives there) and although the experience in Dayton has been fine we do not think that Dayton will be a good fit for us long term. We have 2 kids so good schools are important and are an active family that likes to spend time outside.

Open to other city suggestions as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2019, 09:42 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Milwaukee Region without a doubt. This is especially the case due to proximity of nice natural features, Lake Michigan, easy drive to Chicagoland or Madison, cultural amenities, festivals, etc. It doesn’t have southern influences compared to Dayton. Milwaukee has four distinct seasons with very pleasant summers and somewhat snowy winters. The main downside to the area is significant segregation by race and economic class. Mequon, Whitefish Bay, and most of Wauwatosa are nice areas.

Old 09-28-2019, 03:44 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Kansas City is a great option with an active/thriving downtown area and big city amenities with plenty of recreational options including a significant "lake life" culture in the summer/fall. The suburbs of Johnson County (Overland Park, Leawood, Lenexa and Olathe) are considered to be among the best suburbs in the US with excellent schools.

Old 09-28-2019, 06:40 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Kansas City is a great option with an active/thriving downtown area and big city amenities with plenty of recreational options including a significant "lake life" culture in the summer/fall. The suburbs of Johnson County (Overland Park, Leawood, Lenexa and Olathe) are considered to be among the best suburbs in the US with excellent schools.
KC is not known for "lakes" or lake culture to any degree compared to the Upper Midwest that has plenty of naturally occurring lakes. The Ozarks are a joke, does not compare to sandy clear Northwoods lakes. Johnson County does have good schools, but they are not all universally excellent across the board. One can find excellent schools in wealthy zip codes in any area of the US, and Milwaukee region is no exception to that. Ozaukee County is known for excellent schools as well. Mequon and Leawood are both wealthy demographic areas with high quality of life, with very high housing prices to match for not being in coastal areas.

Old 09-28-2019, 07:33 PM

336 posts, read 575,247 times
I'd go with Kansas City.

Old 09-28-2019, 07:37 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCB View Post
I'd go with Kansas City.
I agree, it doesn't suffer the second city complex like Milwaukee does either.

Old 09-28-2019, 08:25 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,890,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree, it doesn't suffer the second city complex like Milwaukee does either.
There is no second city complex....at all. You can tell you aren't familiar with Milwaukee, because if you were, you would know that. Being able to go to lunch in Chicago and back home to Milwaukee for dinner, is, actually, a pretty wonderful thing. And, I would choose Milwaukee, because it's on the Lake, in a state full of lakes, and you can be in the Chicago suburbs, the second you leave the Milwaukee suburbs. No suffering, but thanks for your concern.

Last edited by Enean; 09-28-2019 at 08:41 PM..

Old 09-29-2019, 12:37 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,299,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttrfly298 View Post
Hi! Looking for information about the Milwaukee and Kansas City MO areas.
I would definitely go with Milwaukee. Its one of my top five cities to move to.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...-in-milwaukee/

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...530-story.html

''Everywhere you go you find people who are open and friendly,'' he adds,

''and pretty soon you feel like one of the family--or at least like somebody from the neighborhood."

I would look in the Shorewood or Whitefish Bay areas for excellent schools. I would look in Franklin for good schools and a shorter drive to Chicago.

Old 09-29-2019, 02:52 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,117 times
I am familiar with both cities. I was born in Milwaukee and spent my childhood there. I have gone back to visit over the years. My brother lives in Kansas City (Overland Park).

I would pick Kansas City. The winters in Milwaukee are brutal. KC is one of the fastest growing cities in the Midwest. Milwaukee has little or no growth just like the rest of the rust belt.

Old 09-29-2019, 04:32 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
Both are wonderful cities. You're lucky. I've lived in both of them.

Take whichever one presents itself with the least inconvenience, and don't look back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.