U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 07:43 AM

1,366 posts, read 1,108,000 times

Advertisements

Minnesota (N)ice is just like the Seattle freeze from what I hear (I've not been to Seattle personally).

"people will give you directions to anywhere but their house" and "they're the nicest people you'll never know...." are both local jokes that ring very true. Having spent the past 22 years in the Twin Cities, it would score extremely low on community engagement and overall genuine friendliness. Candor and conflict are both discouraged, and thus people keep to themselves. Most are polite however, if I could distinguish between politeness and friendliness....

That said, rural NJ and the Atlanta metro have both been friendly locales for my family. In terms of neighbors welcoming us to the area, having neighbors to call on if you're in a bind, community events, etc.

Hawaiins have always been super friendly as well. Locals always open to chat, on vacations oftentimes we'll bump into a local, and they will invite us to something (bonfire, snorkeling, etc.)!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:37 AM

8,164 posts, read 12,558,574 times
West Virginia is incredibly friendly overall. One major reason is that it doesn't have a single huge city or major metro area. Charleston WV has a population of about 50,000 and about 500,000 in the COMBINED Charleston-Huntington-Ashland-Ironton MSA which extends all the way into Kentucky and Ohio, a very long distance. Hence most of the state is rural or semi rural or small cities. There's more Southern hospitality in WV than what you would find in a large Southern city like Atlanta, New Orleans or even Baton Rouge. I found it very easy to make friends living in WV and people were extremely laid back, slow paced and friendly. Driving was among the least aggressive I've seen anywhere.

Baton Rouge overall is relatively friendly, but you do run into aggressive drivers and rude people and plenty of people who don't behave in a classy way (spit, curse, etc etc). New Orleans is friendly compared to northern cities, but not very friendly compared to the rest of Louisiana. A touristy from New York or LA will find New Orleans very friendly, but a visitor from rural Louisiana would find it a very rude and aggressive place.

Old Yesterday, 04:29 AM

18,132 posts, read 4,383,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaZ View Post
States that have strong, close communities where everyone knows their neighbor and everyone participates in community events. Iíve lived in (Southern) California my whole life and itís true what they say: there seems to be more unfirnedly people here than friendly (at least in Southern California).
Texas in my experience.

Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM

17,787 posts, read 21,674,556 times
I have found, overall, AZ to have the friendliest people, and living in Tucson, the friendliest of all.

I just moved here over a year ago from the most unfriendly, cold city I've ever lived in: Las Vegas. If you've ever driven away from the Strip into the residential areas you'll see walls, walls, walls everywhere. Las Vegans feel naked if their backyard isn't walled in with 6 or 7 foot cinder block walls. And God forbid you should peek over your neighbor's wall, as they be apt to call the police. Trespassing on their privacy!

Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM

7,214 posts, read 6,424,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Texas in my experience.
This week, if you are an Okie, Texans are meaner than snakes.

Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM

1,592 posts, read 2,448,634 times
The answer is going to be somewhere in the south but not the deep south. i think parts of texas, georgia, south and north Carolina may be the answer also Oklahoma. Also most large military and university adjacent towns.

Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM

452 posts, read 324,875 times
Kentucky and West Virginia in my experiences. The whole Southern Appalachian area in general. At first, very suspicious if outsiders, but once your known and trusted folks in KY and WV, Southern Ohio, will always lend a hand and try and help as well as respect you and are polite and friendly.

Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM

13,360 posts, read 24,811,632 times
It's too simple to generalize a state IMO.

IME:
Southern California falls on the better side of the nice-mean spectrum, but doesn't stand out.
Oregon is pretty friendly across the board.
Spokane is VERY friendly.
Las Vegas has tons of people with interesting stories and people that have generally good dispositions.
I think Phoenix is on the better side, a ton of sunny people there.
Kansas City is friendly.
Chicago is very friendly, inviting, and social IMO and IME.
Milwaukee is just very polite.
Toledo and Cincinnati fall on the better side.
It's an odd place to mention, but Owensboro, KY sticks out.

Everywhere else I've been in the US isn't worth mentioning, or I have a negative opinion of. I've been to 31 of the 50 states.

I'm not entirely sure what the formula is, but less stress (due to urban problems, traffic, high COL, harsh climate) AND stability in the area (deeply entrenched culture, a good amount of people native to the area) I think are key, and I think having one can cancel out not having the other. For example, Chicago is a high stress place but is also very stable, so it's apt to be friendly. Places like Denver or Seattle are high stress and unstable, so they're not too friendly.

In places without overbearing urban problems, people seem to take a much lighter approach on things, and it just makes them/the place more pleasant to be around overall. People tend to be more interesting and have greater focus on their own interests in these places as well.

Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM

8,078 posts, read 3,621,743 times
How can you judge by state? Good and bad everywhere.

Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM

506 posts, read 305,186 times
Kentucky and Tennessee for me, seems everyone is happy and friendly ��
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or