U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 03:55 PM

10 posts, read 4,846 times

Advertisements

States that have strong, close communities where everyone knows their neighbor and everyone participates in community events. Iíve lived in (Southern) California my whole life and itís true what they say: there seems to be more unfirnedly people here than friendly (at least in Southern California).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2019, 05:30 PM

1,813 posts, read 851,115 times
Out of the places I've lived, I'd say the Virginia suburbs of DC were the friendliest in terms of communal engagement.

Seattle has probably been the least friendly; I haven't noticed a lot of cultural fairs, festivals, outdoor movie nights, etc. compared to the other places. I'm not sure how much this has to do with the "Seattle Freeze", which is referring to something different.

Old 10-06-2019, 10:47 PM

5,271 posts, read 3,219,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Out of the places I've lived, I'd say the Virginia suburbs of DC were the friendliest in terms of communal engagement.

Seattle has probably been the least friendly; I haven't noticed a lot of cultural fairs, festivals, outdoor movie nights, etc. compared to the other places. I'm not sure how much this has to do with the "Seattle Freeze", which is referring to something different.
To me, Denver had a lot of community night type stuff. Maybe there's too many trees in Seattle and it keeps us sheltered? Everything was open in Denver. I like it here though.

Old 10-07-2019, 12:42 AM

4,480 posts, read 4,708,764 times
Here's a new article about the Seattle Freeze. The strange thing to me is that Seattle seems kind of friendly to me. If I never heard of the Seattle freeze I wouldn't have guessed that it's considered an unfriendly city.

https://www.seattletimes.com/life/in...roblem-is-you/

Old 10-07-2019, 12:49 AM

1,285 posts, read 743,726 times
Mississippi

Old 10-07-2019, 01:55 AM

1,813 posts, read 851,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
To me, Denver had a lot of community night type stuff. Maybe there's too many trees in Seattle and it keeps us sheltered? Everything was open in Denver. I like it here though.
Maybe. I dunno, I feel like Seattle is one of the most "future" cities in America, showing a glimpse of where our culture is heading. High COL, good public transit, cafe culture, ample bike infrastructure - all of these are increasing around the nation. Maybe society is just getting more disconnected in general as everyone satisfies their social needs through their phones and Slack/Discord, and Seattle is at the forefront of this shift.

When I flew back to Chicago recently, I felt like I'd gone back to the '70s. It's hard to explain; everything just felt a lot more retro.

Old 10-07-2019, 02:17 AM

1,075 posts, read 380,174 times
Its what happens when you have a massive cluster of IT staff. Its a sterile bunch with a higher than normal % of people who struggle socially irl and find refuge in the social worlds of the internet instead.

Old 10-07-2019, 03:41 AM

431 posts, read 107,659 times
Definitely not people in New Jersey, Maryland, Florida, or DC, in my experiences. Once I've traveled cross country, I will revisit this thread with my newly formed opinions.

Old 10-07-2019, 04:08 AM

21,496 posts, read 31,045,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
Definitely not people in New Jersey, Maryland, Florida, or DC, in my experiences. Once I've traveled cross country, I will revisit this thread with my newly formed opinions.
Agreed! I would have to say of the states I have visited (all but a few) Michigan has been the friendliest I visited, specifically the SW area of the state.

Old 10-07-2019, 05:43 AM
sub

974 posts, read 486,032 times
From my experience, Wisconsin would come closest to fitting what the OP is talking about. I could see how Michigan and Minnesota, among other nearby areas, might be similar.
It’s one reason I always try to recommend that area in spite of the cooler weather.
Just don’t want to push it too much since trendy areas end up being highly unappealing rather quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or