U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 06:59 AM

17,813 posts, read 20,016,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
If you were leaving the state you live in now and only had bordering states to choose from to move to which would you choose and why?
I live in Maryland near DC. It is important for me, at this point in my life, to live in an area with good schools for my children. I have a number of places to choose from in the western part of my county. I also intend to enroll my children in a good state flagship university which gives the biggest bang for the buck.

Virginia would be the obvious choice if I were to move to an adjacent state. It has a lot of communities in good school districts. I also like many of the Pennsylvania suburbs of Philadelphia for the same reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 07:06 AM

7,770 posts, read 9,630,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
I'm in Iowa and would pick Wisconsin, hands down. I like the culture, the cities, and the outdoor recreation opportunities.

Minnesota is fairly nice, and the Twin Cities have great amenities, but the people are pricks and the weather is even worse than Iowa.

Nebraska is a lot like Iowa but even more conservative.

Missouri is my second choice. I like the cities and the Ozarks a lot, but I give Wisconsin a slight edge on people.

Illinois is a lot like Iowa with a massive metro area. Not a fan of Chicagoloand folks as much, but could get used to amenities.

South Dakota is probably 3rd choice. The Black Hills are cool.

I could realistically live and be happy in any neighboring state.
You have some good states to choose from...Illinois (Chicago), Wisconsin ( Madison, Milwaukee, etc), Minnesota (MSP)...I wouldn't care for Nebraska, South Dakota or Missouri..

In my area, the question would be choosing Maine or Vermont; I think I'd bypass New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Connecticut; New York has some possibilities..

Old 10-07-2019, 07:17 AM

520 posts, read 165,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
You have some good states to choose from...Illinois (Chicago), Wisconsin ( Madison, Milwaukee, etc), Minnesota (MSP)...I wouldn't care for Nebraska, South Dakota or Missouri..

In my area, the question would be choosing Maine or Vermont; I think I'd bypass New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Connecticut; New York has some possibilities..
Missouri is underrated. The rural areas in a lot of the state are pretty bad, but I enjoy KC and StL as much as any of the cities you mentioned, and the Ozarks are more rugged than anything in Illinois, Wisconsin, or Minnesota.

A lot of it is personal preference kind of stuff too, but Missouri has some cool things going on.

Old 10-07-2019, 07:20 AM
Status: "Waiting for the endless summer to end." (set 20 days ago)

323 posts, read 173,543 times
Texas:
Tough choose between Oklahoma & New Mexico.
The Santa Fe / Taos region of New Mexico is very appealing, but it wouldn't be enough to convince me to move to New Mexico.
Somewhere near the Elk City region of Oklahoma would be the winner.

Old 10-07-2019, 07:55 AM

4,591 posts, read 2,708,118 times
I've got good options. I would be happy to be in the Twin Cities, Chicago, or the Traverse City area.

Any state that borders WI except Iowa.

Old 10-07-2019, 07:58 AM

4,063 posts, read 3,625,181 times
I’d Choose Wisconsin. Every time I’m there it seems like one of the best run states in the country. Infrastructure is pretty top notch, and the cities even the small ones seem pretty well taken care of.

Old 10-07-2019, 07:59 AM

24,673 posts, read 18,377,214 times
I live in Tennessee.

Probably NC. I love the Raleigh area, and Charlotte is close to a lot of good things. NC has mountains and beaches.

I'd consider VA and parts of KY. I love Louisville.

Old 10-07-2019, 08:09 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,610,479 times
I live in New York currently and would choose Pennsylvania.

PA is similar to New York in many ways with regards to its geographic size, geographic landscape, standout flagship city/metro and many noteworthy smaller cities/metros scattered throughout the state.

I like that PA has more temperate weather for the most part and is a little more geographically centered with respect to the rest of the country.

Old 10-07-2019, 08:14 AM

2,912 posts, read 1,597,089 times
I live in MD now, Iíd choose Delaware.

When I lived in MA then next state I would chose would probably be CT because I went to school in Hartford and itís nearer my brother in NYC.

Old 10-07-2019, 08:16 AM

2,912 posts, read 1,597,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post

Maine doesnít border MA though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or