U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 01:46 AM

8,248 posts, read 12,625,043 times

Advertisements

I would probably choose Texas over Mississippi or Arkansas, because there is more of a variety of places/landscapes in Texas. However I would choose most of Mississippi (especially the Gulf coast) over El Paso or the Rio Grande Valley any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 08:24 PM

154 posts, read 112,989 times
Of the states bordering Pennsylvania (New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia, Ohio, New York) I'd move to Maryland (if I had to move) for one reason only--the city of Baltimore. I love old historic big cities, and few American cities meet that criteria as well as Baltimore. In 1850 Baltimore had 169,000 people and was behind only NYC then in terms of population. Even as recently as 1950, Baltimore was the nation's sixth largest city with nearly one million people. Consequently the city has numerous dense historic neighborhoods such as Fells Point and Federal Hill. The Inner Harbor is spectacular and I think the Mount Vernon Place neighborhood is one of the most beautiful urban areas in the country.

Unfortunately, the riots and reports of corruption plaguing Baltimore of late have really battered the city's reputation. Still, it is a great American city with world class institutions/attractions such as Johns Hopkins University, Fort McHenry National Monument, the Baltimore Museum of Art, the National Aquarium, major league football/baseball---and seafood, especially Maryland crab cakes. Baltimore may have its problems, but one thing is for sure--I'd never get bored living there.

Old 10-09-2019, 10:54 PM

5,466 posts, read 8,331,758 times
Arizona for sure (If that's considered a border state to Colorado).

1. Arizona- Has the largest city by far (Phoenix) and it's a place that's on my list for relocation
2. Utah- SLC would be my second choice out of all the major cities. Love the mountain/city setting
3. New Mexico- Love the culture and the fact that it's the only other blue state. I'd definitely consider Albuquerque as a place to live.
4. Nebraska- Omaha is a really nice city and I thought about moving there a few years ago. At this point in life I'd rather not live anywhere colder than CO though.
5.Kansas- I wouldn't mind living in the Kansas City metro area at all but you couldn't really pay me to live anywhere else in Kansas...
6. Oklahoma- OKC and Tulsa seem like nice enough places but I don't have much interest in either of them at all.
7. Wyoming- Visited once and passed through Cheyenne. The lack of population, diversity and conservative nature places WY dead last. Absolutely beautiful state though.

The top 2 aren't too far off and I'd actually enjoy living in either Arizona or Utah. 3-5 are pretty close and I'd consider living there if a job opportunity came up. 6 I wouldn't necessarily move to but I'd consider OK if the opportunity came up. Don't think I'd enjoy living there though. As for 7, I just feel like I would really dislike WY as a place to live.

Old 10-09-2019, 11:11 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,786,229 times
I'd choose Texas, Dallas first, Austin second, Houston third.

Runner up state would be Utah, Salt Lake City.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:36 AM

538 posts, read 286,361 times
Well I already sort of did this. I was so ready to get out of NC after college, I came to Georgia which has been a great move. If I were to leave GA (Which I will be relocating from here in the next year and a half) for a neighboring state it would be to Florida. Such an amazing state with tons of different cities to choose from. (Minus COL)

1. Florida
2. Tennessee
3. SC
4. Alabama
4. NC

Old 10-10-2019, 03:27 PM

15,093 posts, read 8,108,279 times
I'm kind of laughing at the geographically challenged Massachusetts people talking about Maine.

I haven't lived in New York but I've lived in all the other states bordering Massachusetts. I'd happily move back to Portsmouth NH if somebody bought the house and paid the difference in property taxes. I moved because the housing cost math didn't work. The same is true if you bought me a modest 2 bedroom penthouse with deeded garage parking and a view of Central Park. I'd love to live in Manhattan but it's off budget. I've owned a vacation home at a ski resort in Vermont so that kind of doesn't count. Full time, Burlington or Stowe would be fine. Rhode Island is too much like where I am now and wouldn't be an upgrade. I've never found a place in Connecticut I'd want to live forever.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:16 AM

1,249 posts, read 718,356 times
I'd move right across the Hudson to New Jersey. I'd only want to live in Jersey City or somewhere right across from Manhattan though. If I couldn't do that, I'd move back down to Philadelphia.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:19 AM

11,261 posts, read 22,709,683 times
I'm in Chicago and would choose Michigan assuming our water boundary with them counts. I love the state so much, it's absolutely beautiful, lots of urban ammenities to choose from, great people, etc.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:31 AM

9,142 posts, read 8,090,817 times
In Ohio, I'd go with Pennsylvania.

Old 10-12-2019, 12:30 PM

68 posts, read 56,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Chico was actually on the list of potential retirement places at one time.
I definitely wouldn't recommend it now. We have no room here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or