U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 11:14 PM

6,679 posts, read 13,953,223 times

Advertisements

Just look at this picture of what is now the largest rock festival in the USA:

https://i.imgur.com/jSXNObZ.jpg

160,000 people I am told. And two weekends before that, Louisville hosted two other music festivals totaling 140,000 people.

This weekend another 100,000 plus came for Sunshine Magazines #1 Fine art show in the USA (in America's largest Victorian neighborhood). This neighborhood has really become upscale in parts from a very seedy past as recently as ten years ago.
https://www.sunshineartist.com/subscribers/twobest

Also this week, phase one of a world class botanical gardens opened:
https://waterfrontgardens.org/
While pretty paltry today, I think it will be highly rated in 20 years when fully developed.

Louisville also opened it's first large food market and city market this weekend:
https://loganstmarket.com/

Louisville's buzz is palpable as I travel throughout the country. A city that five to ten years ago who had an awful reputation (probably somewhat deserved), is now known for tourism, even bachelor parties, and now music. This is the same formula Nashville and Austin used 20 years ago.

So I ask you, what other cities are seeing these kinds of transformational events. I keep saying this but Steelcityrising thought I was a huge homer until he came here and saw for himself, from gay parades, drag shows and nightlife, to the historic architecture and laid back food and brewery scene.

Traffic has gotten worse. I travel alot for work and am wondering...is Louisville one of the next "it cities" in the east? Who else has a shot at this? Richmond? Birmingham? Memphis? I'd say Raleigh is already there. This isn't really a "versus" thread but I am more curious if there is another city we can expect to attract this amount of development and especially tourism? And for Louisville, what is the reason it has only resulted in 5% population growth in your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2019, 11:27 PM

2,325 posts, read 1,169,447 times
Maybe this should be in the Kentucky Forum....you're not comparing it to any other city. BTW, I don't ever hear anyone speak of Louisville, so I don't think the "buzz" is palpable.

Old 10-06-2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Maybe this should be in the Kentucky Forum....you're not comparing it to any other city. BTW, I don't ever hear anyone speak of Louisville, so I don't think the "buzz" is palpable.
I am asking what you all think the next "it" city will be. I mentioned Richmond, Memphis, Birmingham, etc. We already know your feelings on Louisville.

No one is really going around talking about any city. But mention Louisville and most have positive things to say. Just look at ratings/rankings all over the net. This is about under the radar "it cities." If you said in 1995 that Nashville would be the superstar city it is today, people would laugh in your face. We are seeing the same evolution in Louisville.

Last edited by Peter1948; 10-07-2019 at 12:14 AM..

Old 10-07-2019, 12:44 AM

5,460 posts, read 8,303,436 times
Wow, looks like Louisville has a lot going on! I think it has a lot of potential to be an IT city in the 20s

Old 10-07-2019, 05:06 AM

9,642 posts, read 9,813,269 times
Louisville is 41st of the Top 50 in city growth rate. It’s not special in its urban revitalization.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:50 AM

510 posts, read 186,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Louisville is 41st of the Top 50 in city growth rate. It’s not special in its urban revitalization.
"urban revitalization" has nothing to do with city growth rates. The urban parts of cities can continue to flourish, even though the population growth is minimal or even negative.

Chicago has seen its most spectacular urban revitalizations in decades post-recession, even though its overall population has declined. Cleveland, Baltimore, Detroit, and others have seen a lot of investment in their urban core, despite continued losses in more suburban neighborhoods. LA, Philly, and NYC have had significant urban revitalization, despite having pretty modest growth.

Most of the fastest growing cities are only fast growing because they continue to sprawl. Places like Austin, Houston, Phoenix, etc. still have most of their growth in the form of suburban subdivisions.

Old 10-09-2019, 02:36 PM

yeah I agree. For example Birmingham is not growing nearly at Louisville's rate but it has some nice infill.

Does anyone think Birmingham can catch the recent construction and hotel fire that Louisville has? Are there any slow growth Midwestern cities which could surprise someone?

Grand Rapids is another surprising city. Feels alot smaller than Louisville but it's development has fanned out concentrically from downtown. To be honest...Louisville's growth feels much more rapid than census estimates show....literally construction EVERYWHERE. The traffic has gotten insane. I am going to give the roadways some time to expand but I like underdog, old urban cities. If Birmingham could hit a stride, I think that could be a relocation target for me. I really love Birmingham's climate as I have been there alot for work in the last year.

Old 10-09-2019, 03:23 PM

9,642 posts, read 9,813,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
"urban revitalization" has nothing to do with city growth rates. The urban parts of cities can continue to flourish, even though the population growth is minimal or even negative.

Chicago has seen its most spectacular urban revitalizations in decades post-recession, even though its overall population has declined. Cleveland, Baltimore, Detroit, and others have seen a lot of investment in their urban core, despite continued losses in more suburban neighborhoods. LA, Philly, and NYC have had significant urban revitalization, despite having pretty modest growth.

Most of the fastest growing cities are only fast growing because they continue to sprawl. Places like Austin, Houston, Phoenix, etc. still have most of their growth in the form of suburban subdivisions.
I would not put Detroit, Cleveland or Baltimore on any sort of list for urban regeneration. They have bettered 2-3 sq miles (maybe like 4 in Cleveland’s case) but the rest of the cities are stagnant or declining.

When you say “suburban neighborhoods” have lost population in many cases they are within a Mike of Downtown.

For example North St Louis’s urban form is still declining. That’s like 4 blocks from The center of Downtown St Louis. Where they might be renovating old vacant buildings and building Ball Park Villiage but St Louis’s core is not outperforming Charlotte.

Old 10-09-2019, 04:38 PM

4,020 posts, read 8,977,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Just look at this picture of what is now the largest rock festival in the USA:

https://i.imgur.com/jSXNObZ.jpg

160,000 people I am told. And two weekends before that, Louisville hosted two other music festivals totaling 140,000 people.

This weekend another 100,000 plus came for Sunshine Magazines #1 Fine art show in the USA (in America's largest Victorian neighborhood). This neighborhood has really become upscale in parts from a very seedy past as recently as ten years ago.
https://www.sunshineartist.com/subscribers/twobest

Also this week, phase one of a world class botanical gardens opened:
https://waterfrontgardens.org/
While pretty paltry today, I think it will be highly rated in 20 years when fully developed.

Louisville also opened it's first large food market and city market this weekend:
https://loganstmarket.com/

Louisville's buzz is palpable as I travel throughout the country. A city that five to ten years ago who had an awful reputation (probably somewhat deserved), is now known for tourism, even bachelor parties, and now music. This is the same formula Nashville and Austin used 20 years ago.

So I ask you, what other cities are seeing these kinds of transformational events. I keep saying this but Steelcityrising thought I was a huge homer until he came here and saw for himself, from gay parades, drag shows and nightlife, to the historic architecture and laid back food and brewery scene.

Traffic has gotten worse. I travel alot for work and am wondering...is Louisville one of the next "it cities" in the east? Who else has a shot at this? Richmond? Birmingham? Memphis? I'd say Raleigh is already there. This isn't really a "versus" thread but I am more curious if there is another city we can expect to attract this amount of development and especially tourism? And for Louisville, what is the reason it has only resulted in 5% population growth in your opinion?
Louisville seems to have a lot of great events going on, and a lot of pride in its city, which is incredible to see!

Thing is, I never read or hear a thing regarding "Louisville buzz." I'm not minimizing the city, I'm positive a lot of amazing things are happening, and the city is doing well. Looks like there is a lot of huge positives coming out of the city.

I think the thing is, Louisville's recent "cool happenings" and "veering towards trendy" is already happening in so many cities its size, larger--and smaller--that what is happening in Louisville does not seem very unique to outside buzz. Whether it be media or "where to move to next" blogs, conversations with HQ relocations, or general cities to relocate to, the things happening in Louisville are fantastic--but not atypical of many cities in general that are healthy these days.

For example, most cities attracting millenials and "yuppies" have botanical gardens, most cities have urban food markets, most have arts shows/museums, and most have music festivals--although the largest is quite the accomplishment.

Don't get me wrong--Louisville's quality of life seems just terrific and definitely a great option for a lower cost, higher overall quality for families and singles.

I just don't see the "buzz appeal" or economic growth with Louisville that sets it apart from say, Indianapolis, or Birmingham, or Cincinnati, or Milwaukee, Buffalo, Rochester, etc....

Old 10-09-2019, 05:15 PM

1,480 posts, read 1,766,696 times
Albuquerque is a city on the rise, with the potential to become an 'It' city if it can regain its rapid population growth of years past and continue the urban renaissance it has been seeing lately.

It has multiple game-changing and big projects recently completed, underway or getting ready to begin construction. It has had over $8 billion in construction over the last five years. Nearly 8,000 jobs have been created or announced over the last year alone in the city, over half of them being tech jobs. Sandia National Labs is in the middle of its biggest hiring spree ever, with 1,900 new jobs. Intel is growing again in the city with over 600 new jobs and other major companies like Boeing, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon, Honeywell and Jabil are also each adding hundreds of jobs in the city. Facebook, Netflix and NBCUniversal have committed to nearly $4 billion in direct investment in the city and to creating over 1,600 jobs combined.

The city is getting ready to debut the nation's first Gold-rated bus rapid transit system by the end of the year. The $135 million Albuquerque Rapid Transit line is estimated to have the potential to create $2 billion in transit-oriented development along its route. It already is 1/4 of the way there with at least $530 million in projects along its route even before its debut of regular service.

Albuquerque is rapidly infilling and growing its urban neighborhoods. There have been nearly 4,200 residential infill units built or proposed in them since 2014. Single family home construction has been lackluster in recent years, but multi-family construction is going gangbusters, with more than 8,000 overall apartment units built since 2014.

Nearly 900 hotel rooms are under construction or being completely renovated right now in the city, part of over 1,400 hotel rooms added in the city since 2017. The city will have nearly 19,000 hotel rooms once current projects are completed.

Tourism, conventions, hotel occupancy and room rates are all growing and at record levels in the last few years. Traffic at the Albuquerque International Sunport is growing and on its way to reaching its pre-recession peak of 6.2 million passengers yearly. The airport also just completed a major renovation.

Albuquerque is right now hosting its largest annual event that will conclude this weekend, the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta. 900,000 visits will be made to Balloon Fiesta Park over the nine days of Balloon Fiesta. 120,000-140,000 people show up for each of the four weekend Mass Ascensions with 600 balloons lifting off into the sky.

The city's first proper food hall is under construction and will open in February next year. The $24 million Sawmill Market will have 34,000 sq ft and 24 tenants. A 13,000 sq ft food hall, the 505 Central Market, is also under construction in Downtown Albuquerque and will have 9 tenants. Two other food halls will begin construction next year as well, the Highland Central Market at the $120 million The Highlands project just east of Downtown Albuquerque and a food hall at the $26 million Nuevo Atrisco TOD project under construction at the western terminus of the ART route on the city's Westside

Already the city has other venues existing and under construction which are very similar to food halls. They include the retail and food pods surrounding an outdoor court at the renovated historic Route 66 El Vado boutique motel. The existing Green Jeans Farmery and the under-construction Tin Can Alley are shipping container communities with various food and retail tenants. The $48 million @Rio project under construction along the Rio Grande in the town of Bernalillo will combine riverwalk retail and restaurant spaces with various kinds of water recreation opportunities on the river.

The city's celebrated and noted microbrewery scene continues to thrive. There are now nearly 50 microbreweries in the city and they continue to win various awards and receive national acclaim, including this past weekend at the GABF. The up and coming craft distillery scene in the city is also beginning to be noticed. There are now 8 craft distilleries in the city and at least 3 more planned. Downtown Albuquerque and the industrial area just to the north of it are the epicenter of both these scenes in the city.

Albuquerque was hit hard by the recession and didn't leave it until early 2014. However, the city has been gaining real momentum in the last years of this decade. I think it will surely get back to its fast-growing ways of the past and will continue its urban renaissance at an even faster pace in the next decade. The combination of both those kinds of growth and the city's growing profile in the entertainment industry and the considerable cultural impact that affords (a la Breaking Bad and Better Saul), along with our unique culture and quirky vibe, great food scene, natural beauty and touristic appeal, can propel the city into the next level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or