U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 11:45 AM

10,167 posts, read 13,898,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
... You guessed it! Califor nigh aye!

We're just measly renters here so we're not rich, but we're independent, good citizens and wont cause trouble, I promise!
I find CA people to be a lil closed-minded .. like CA is the best place ever and nowhere else can compare … cuz actually many other places are better than CA. CA ain't that great!

But all the Californians I meet think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread … PUHLEEZ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 11:51 AM

I think people don't necessarily 'like' New Yorkers, but they appreciate them b/c of how blunt they are.

New Yorkers (I am one) aren't rude, we just are busy and we will tell you the truth not what you want to hear.

Inside the rough exteriors, we're sweeties. But we're not gonna sugarcoat things for you.

When we come to your area, we make our presence known!!! We go in & out with a bang. Nothing phases us because we have seen it all.

We know our city has rats and is dirty, is not paradise but we love it anyway.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:01 PM

3,258 posts, read 2,313,168 times
CA is a big state. Lots different people there, conservative to liberal, generations old natives to recent immigrants. I've never noticed anything particularly outstanding about a lot of them that screamed "I'M FROM CALIFORNIA".

Old 10-08-2019, 12:02 PM

13,383 posts, read 24,929,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Seems like nobody here really knows the phenomenon OP is talking about. This is where people living in (typically) other parts of the West, especially politically conservative areas, disdain people from the big Californian metros moving to their state and "changing the culture". I saw this all the time living in Nevada - native residents fretting that all those weirdos from the Bay Area were going to confiscate their guns and ban meat consumption and get rid of jail sentences for every offense except using the wrong pronouns for trans people.

This is not quite the same thing you see in small towns around the country, where locals are suspicious of newcomers in general; it specifically has to do with California being a large state that has been experiencing a net outflow of residents for a long time, and has a very different cultural outlook from nearby states - which all adds up to Californians feeling like a giant horde that's trying to infiltrate peaceful Nevada and Idaho towns that just want to do their own thing.

OP, I think the places where you'd experience this the least are large liberal cities everywhere, plus places in the eastern half of the country that are seeing decent population growth (North Carolina, Virginia, Florida).
I don't think it has to do with the place being politically conservative. Here all the places off the top of my head where people have disdain for Californians:
-Southern Oregon
-Portland
-Seattle
-Spokane (this is new one in the last couple of years)
-Boise
-Denver

I'm sure there are others, but I'd venture a guess that none of them are east of Denver.

Now, the places where people welcome Californians (probably because so many of them ARE Californians):
-Las Vegas
-Phoenix
-North Idaho
-Colorado Springs

Within CA is another phenomenon: in the conservative areas, the DISDAIN for the liberals ruining CA, with many of them ready to pack up and move to TX at their next chance. It's only after they move to TX (or wherever) that they realize that there weren't exactly as conservative as they thought.

The most interesting thing about being a native Californian and meeting people unfamiliar with it: how warped their idea of it is. I have friends from NY and people on my own block who have this vision that my wife and I grew up just up the beach from each other, with only yoga studios, weirdos, movie stars, In-N-Out's, fake boobs, little Mexicos, and mega-liberals separating the two of us. My wife and I had very different experiences growing up in CA a mere 140 miles apart from each other; and neither place terribly fits any of the stereotypes that so many people hold onto about the place.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:17 PM

6,731 posts, read 10,612,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I find CA people to be a lil closed-minded .. like CA is the best place ever and nowhere else can compare … cuz actually many other places are better than CA. CA ain't that great!

But all the Californians I meet think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread … PUHLEEZ
You can replace all the California references in this post with Texas and it'll still be true.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:21 PM

2,465 posts, read 1,218,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
You can replace all the California references in this post with Texas and it'll still be true.
Neither hold appeal for me. Not sure why people think we should be envious...if we were, we'd move there.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Neither hold appeal for me. Not sure why people think we should be envious...if we were, we'd move there.
I have family in CA. They are ALL about it. They DO NOT understand people who may be happy elsewhere. They accuse me of lying when I say "I'm happy in NY" after they constantly nag me to move out there.

CA is NOT my cup of tea & not everyone wants to live there.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:27 PM

2,465 posts, read 1,218,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I have family in CA. They are ALL about it. They DO NOT understand people who may be happy elsewhere. They accuse me of lying when I say "I'm happy in NY" after they constantly nag me to move out there.

CA is NOT my cup of tea & not everyone wants to live there.
I know people who did move there, and then moved back. It's not a utopia...not by any means.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:40 PM

8,259 posts, read 12,629,900 times
In some parts of the South, there's a disdain for Yankees especially NC, Georgia and Florida due to changing politics. Virginia is interesting as its the conservative people outside NOVA who don't like the influence of tranplants - the transplants tend to gravitate toward NOVA but their votes still influence the entire state making it liberal.

Here in Baton Rouge we really don't have many northern transplants so there's less hostility toward northerners, an Southern pride is accompanied by many with local Louisiana pride so while many take pride in the Civil War its not the ONLY source of Southern pride like in Georgia or Mississippi. BR people complain the most about New Orleans transplants especially post-Katrina refugees. I've actually had many people flat out say, in all seriousness, that Baton Rouge never had a crime problem and there were never drugs here before Hurricane Katrina!!! I do believe this is an exaggeration.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:41 PM

795 posts, read 306,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I know people who did move there, and then moved back. It's not a utopia...not by any means.
My friends did this o me when I visited NY... And I seriously asked them why you wanted me to move to NY? Worst place Ive ever lived in (Aside from Orlando). People are just ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or