Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 09:39 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,883,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
This is a waste of bandwidth...

Who knows where people are from unless they tell you?
Agreed. Ashton Kutcher is from Iowa....he doesn't seem like a fish out of water. Cindy Crawford from northern Illinois...she's doing okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 09:58 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,840,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
No they don't...not at all. I know people who live in California, and trust me, they look no different than someone who lives in the Midwest. The exception, is in the winter they still wear shorts, and we wear wool.
Sorry, I didn’t take this thread to be discussing physicality so much as conceptuality. Talking to someone about something beyond how we are de-icing our roads incorrectly is a breath of fresh air. More discussion of surfing half pipes, less discussion of getting stuck on a turnpike, please and thank you.

Old 10-07-2019, 10:11 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,529,246 times
Quote:
I think we're supposed to "get" from your thread, that, somehow, someone is special because they come from California? I've never thought that, and I don't imagine most do. Move where you want....it's not like there's a certain glow around you, that people will just "know." You put your pants on one leg at a time, just like the rest of us. I think your post comes off as a little "elitist", otherwise I don't get (at all), why you would ask.
I believe that's tongue in cheek self deprecation.

To answer the OPs question, Texas, save Austin, is very welcoming.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:20 AM

16,068 posts, read 10,723,780 times
The most common criticism of relocating Californians I've heard recently is not about politics or social/cultural issues. It is that they don't know the value of money because they live in an abnormal and unbalanced real estate market and apply that experience to their new location, paying too much for homes and inflating the local market. If one sells a typical two bedroom bungalow for $2.5 million in CA and moves to a "normal" market state, the same house will likely be one-tenth or less of the California price. In my local market area the perception is that the ex-Californian buyers spend too much, especially on new-build custom homes. That ripples through the local market and builders neglect lower priced homes more suited to average local buyers.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:34 AM

6,372 posts, read 4,983,007 times
Seems like nobody here really knows the phenomenon OP is talking about. This is where people living in (typically) other parts of the West, especially politically conservative areas, disdain people from the big Californian metros moving to their state and "changing the culture". I saw this all the time living in Nevada - native residents fretting that all those weirdos from the Bay Area were going to confiscate their guns and ban meat consumption and get rid of jail sentences for every offense except using the wrong pronouns for trans people.

This is not quite the same thing you see in small towns around the country, where locals are suspicious of newcomers in general; it specifically has to do with California being a large state that has been experiencing a net outflow of residents for a long time, and has a very different cultural outlook from nearby states - which all adds up to Californians feeling like a giant horde that's trying to infiltrate peaceful Nevada and Idaho towns that just want to do their own thing.

OP, I think the places where you'd experience this the least are large liberal cities everywhere, plus places in the eastern half of the country that are seeing decent population growth (North Carolina, Virginia, Florida).

Old 10-08-2019, 03:25 AM

10,204 posts, read 15,907,585 times
Here in Louisiana we don't mind anyone else moving here as long as they adapt to our friendly, laid back lifestyle and keep their liberal politics at home.......

Old 10-08-2019, 06:43 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,204,551 times
No, I didn't guess your title. Please follow board guidelines and use descriptive titles.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:51 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,204,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Here in Louisiana we don't mind anyone else moving here as long as they adapt to our friendly, laid back lifestyle and keep their liberal politics at home.......
I was in Louisiana in the 60's, when it was "adapt to our segregated lifestyle and keep your civil rights at home". Liberals came anyway.

Last edited by cebuan; 10-08-2019 at 07:00 AM..

Old 10-08-2019, 08:26 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,173,938 times
Quote:
I think we're supposed to "get" from your thread, that, somehow, someone is special because they come from California? I've never thought that, and I don't imagine most do. Move where you want....it's not like there's a certain glow around you, that people will just "know." You put your pants on one leg at a time, just like the rest of us. I think your post comes off as a little "elitist", otherwise I don't get (at all), why you would ask.
You've clearly never lived in a location where the locals care very much if someone is a "dreaded Californian". In most western cities/states hating Californians is a local pastime. I've never even lived in California and I could see the disdain. They're encouraged to change their license plates ASAP.

For the record, I couldn't care less where people are from. I met some amazing Californians while living in the Rockies.

I guarantee no one in Milwaukee would care if you're from California. I feel safe in saying no one in Madison would care either.

Old 10-08-2019, 08:51 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,180,873 times
I haven't ever seen anyone in Chicago care about where you grew up, as long as you like to party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.