U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 09:52 PM

2,649 posts, read 807,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Wow, people sure are showing their true colors.
I'm not racist at all but what they're saying is true. Nobody looks down on white European immigrants of any sort. Even Trump himself asked why more Norwegian people couldn't come to the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 10:01 PM

6,172 posts, read 6,585,872 times
You’d be surprised. There were a decent amount of immigrants from the northern Baltic states, especially Lithuania, as well as Eastern European (Ukraine mostly) and Balkan (Serbia and Croatia mostly) in the exurban/rural part of Northern Indiana I grew up in. More than you would think. My grandparents always bought these amazing pies from a first generation Russian lady who owned a bakery in their tiny town of about 3,000.

That being said, these immigrants were all part of larger groups and sort of were a community within a community. As a single immigrant without that sort of support structure I imagine it might be somewhat lonely in many parts of rural America, not just the South or Midwest. But that could also be said for other Americans who come there from other places, especially urban or suburban areas.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:51 AM

47,086 posts, read 37,900,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I mentioned racism earlier...this thread is fraught with it. Not only that, but in addition to that, some are trying to make the south and the Midwest sound like they're ignorant and non-accepting. All these people are doing, is showing their ignorance, by stereotyping. It's maddening, but amusing, in that they're doing exactly what they're accusing others of doing.
Bingo.

Look, an immigrant with a foreign accent may experience some negative sort of reaction anywhere. I'd say that the odds are slightly higher in a very small town, in any region of the country. I would also say that what the immigrant might blame on his or her ethnicity or accent might just be a cultural difference (nothing to do with racism) or even just a personal quirk that has nothing to do with racism.

Don't want other people making assumptions about you? Don't make them about them and you're off to a good start.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:16 AM

860 posts, read 1,101,445 times
Yeah - wow!

My state has a lot of immigrants who come here for different reasons. We have a huge Middle Eastern population, a huge Asian population, a lot of Europeans (Western and Eastern), a lot of Mexicans and other people from Latin America/South America.

Because I live in a border region (northern) we get a lot of Canadians who come over to work and play and then they go home again.

So - weird.... Sounds typically American to me.

Sometimes, I get frustrated if my doctor or nurse has a really thick accent and they are hard to understand because I want to understand what my health issue is. But that doesn't mean that I have any ill-will towards them.

A couple of years ago, I had an awkward incident with a doctor because as we were doing the typical banter, he said that he recently moved to the area. I asked where he was from. He looked at me kind of weird because he seemed concerned about where that was going (as he was a brown person). I explained that I wasn't talking about his ethnic background, but he said that he recently moved to town and I wondered where he moved from because I was curious. He loosened up after that. I can only assume that he had some bad incidents and I felt bad that I made him feel uncomfortable. I never thought that asking a simple question like that could make someone super uncomfortable like that. I was just trying to be welcoming.

I think it's sad that some are assuming that people in the South or Midwest can't be decent human beings to other people.

Honestly, a lot of people are just jerks to other people, regardless of whether they are immigrant or not, because they are sad, bitter people. And where someone lives really doesn't have anything to do with it.

Nobody simply gets along with everyone. There's always "that person" - the person who rubs you the wrong way and you just can't tolerate them and they probably are a decent person, but for whatever reason, you just don't mesh.

But now I'm rambling......

Old 10-11-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Bingo.

Look, an immigrant with a foreign accent may experience some negative sort of reaction anywhere. I'd say that the odds are slightly higher in a very small town, in any region of the country. I would also say that what the immigrant might blame on his or her ethnicity or accent might just be a cultural difference (nothing to do with racism) or even just a personal quirk that has nothing to do with racism.

Don't want other people making assumptions about you? Don't make them about them and you're off to a good start.
I've never heard of a European immigrant being discriminated against in modern times. Even in the most conservative rural areas, they'd likely be received very well.
And European guys also tend to be well received by American girls if they're at least somewhat handsome

Old 10-11-2019, 12:01 PM

352 posts, read 148,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I've never heard of a European immigrant being discriminated against in modern times. Even in the most conservative rural areas, they'd likely be received very well.
And European guys also tend to be well received by American girls if they're at least somewhat handsome
I've never seen direct discrimination, but ive seen/heard many Chicagoans b**** and moan about eastern europeans

Old 10-11-2019, 12:12 PM

2,453 posts, read 1,214,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
I've never seen direct discrimination, but ive seen/heard many Chicagoans b**** and moan about eastern europeans
Milwaukee has many, many eastern Europeans, as well. They've been there so long, they're just a part of the fabric of the city.

Old 10-11-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Nobody really complains about Eastern Euros in NYC and there are a lot of them. I don't even consider Poles to be Eastern European, but I never hear people complain about them either.

Old 10-11-2019, 12:54 PM

As for Western and Central European immigrants, they would probably face the least amount of discrimination possible.

Old 10-11-2019, 01:11 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,013,605 times
Quote:
Grew up in Chicago/Chicago suburbs. Never once heard someone disparage eastern Europeans. You realize Chicago has the largest Polish population... outside of Poland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or