U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 01:37 PM

252 posts, read 102,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
That ex-Southerner sounds like an idiot. Sure, there are a lot of fake people around but I don't think rural types would turn against a person upon hearing an accent, especially if they're European.
Perhaps their view is affected by the way their family is. My understanding is that their family is very hardcore-Southern-oldtimers and were very mad that this person married a "yankee" from New York State. Perhaps they're basing their view of entire South on their extended family. Also, this person is in their 60s, so they're speaking from old-timer standpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 02:02 PM

2,701 posts, read 831,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opossum1 View Post
Polish are Eastern European folks, I disagree. Normally there's Western and Eastern Europe division. With adding Central Europe region designation, yes, they can be fitted into that, but normally it's just Western-Eastern. When people think of Eastern Europeans normally it's about former Eastern Block countries.
The USSR disolved a long time ago. Poland is considerably more developed than most of true Eastern Europe.

Old 10-15-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
The USSR disolved a long time ago. Poland is considerably more developed than most of true Eastern Europe.
Not really that developed...and mentality too, is rather Eastern European.

Old 10-26-2019, 09:32 PM

I think there's very strong xenophobia in some places and unfriendliness to outsiders which might not be specific to one being an immigrant, just general unfriendliness to anyone who doesn't seem "local" (though I think that when they hear a foreign accent it strongly adds to this attitude). Northern Minnesota is definitely one example.

The South seems to be actually way friendlier and more genuine than the North, despite what they say about the South.

Old 10-26-2019, 09:58 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,230,562 times
Yes, let's always listen to what "they" say. The ubiquitous "they." If people don't realize that there is no such thing as "they", I'm sorry for them.

Old 10-26-2019, 10:05 PM

"They" are the majority though.

Oh lucky ones born knowing it all about the world and places they never been to...they don't ever have to listen to what "they" say, know-it-alls.

Old 10-26-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opossum1 View Post
"They" are the majority though.

Oh lucky ones born knowing it all about the world and places they never been to...they don't ever have to listen to what "they" say, know-it-alls.
Assumptions about people in the South and Midwest abound, and it gets maddening, after a while. We are educated here, speak different languages, have some of the best schools in the country, and have a great plenty of immigrants. We are not sheltered, have the Internet, and know what's going on in the world, believe it, or not. One doesn't have to be a know-it-all, to be offended by some of these threads.

Old 10-26-2019, 10:39 PM

I live in a very small city in Wisconsin, and it is only 80 percent white. Fourteen percent of the population here is Asian, and the rest a variety. Unless you have been to every town in a given state, you can't know how people react to foreigners. Here, they're our neighbors.

Old 10-26-2019, 10:59 PM

25,255 posts, read 18,734,051 times
I live in northeast TN. People would be curious about the accent, but it wouldn't be a barrier to anything.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:29 AM

46 posts, read 10,056 times
The Midwest has plenty of European immigrants and has been host to them going back to the mid 1800s. Every Midwestern city and state’s citizens are majority European ancestry (non English or Scotch-Irish), especially German and in the Upper Midwest Eastern European descent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or