U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area
St Petersburg,FL 4 50.00%
WPB,FL 1 12.50%
Sarasota,FL 0 0%
Some other region 3 37.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 09:48 PM

561 posts, read 269,682 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of temp moving to either St Petersburg or further south on either coast . Both areas I know are pretty different from each other . The thing is , I love hiking and the mountains. I Could be down in FL for maybe a year for work or more , missing out on the recreation I'm use to. I sure as hell am not going to drive all the way up to north GA to hike all the time. Pretty serene places in FL? Of course! , just not as nice as the mountains. Which area would you pick between say St Petersburg , West Palm Beach, and Sarasota? I am in IT and most positions at my level pay above $20/HR , as I'm a single 31yo male with no baggage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 07:40 AM

793 posts, read 313,693 times
Single and 31? St Pete or Orlando (non-touristy parts of the city, mind you). With either choice, you have close access to a decent airport where you can fly to get your mountain fix. Both have very fun downtowns. I'm not as familiar with WPB, so maybe that could be a solid option, too.

Me being a mountain fan as well, I'd also be very frustrated if those locations were my choices. Use your time in FL to gain some good experience in your field so you can market yourself to regions that you actually want.

Last edited by BrianGC; 10-10-2019 at 09:09 AM..

Old 10-10-2019, 08:58 AM

4,657 posts, read 2,754,594 times
Do you have offers to move to either of these places? Why would you move there if you know you don't want to live there if not for a fantastic job opportunity?

Old 10-10-2019, 09:01 AM

10,167 posts, read 13,889,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
I am thinking of temp moving to either St Petersburg or further south on either coast . Both areas I know are pretty different from each other . The thing is , I love hiking and the mountains. I Could be down in FL for maybe a year for work or more , missing out on the recreation I'm use to. I sure as hell am not going to drive all the way up to north GA to hike all the time. Pretty serene places in FL? Of course! , just not as nice as the mountains. Which area would you pick between say St Petersburg , West Palm Beach, and Sarasota? I am in IT and most positions at my level pay above $20/HR , as I'm a single 31yo male with no baggage.
I wouldn't move anywhere for $20/HR that's peanuts. Where are you living now?

A move only really makes sense if it's going to put you in a better spot financially. Otherwise, why not just stay where you are? Is there any reason you just can't stay put?

Old 10-10-2019, 12:31 PM

Currently live in Landrum,SC. There arent any positions near me for my current job level . There are areas between 2 and 3 hours away in Atlanta, Raleigh, Charleston but I was wanting a contract position in Florida to avoid cold, then move where I want after that contract is over, which is the Southwest.

$20/HR+ might seem like peanuts for someone in a high col area, but not me. I'm single as stated, with a somewhat lower cost life style . I wouldn't make the move unless I had a gauranteed start date for a position. I usually work contract positions .

Old 10-10-2019, 01:03 PM

793 posts, read 313,693 times
Quote:
Currently live in Landrum,SC. There arent any positions near me for my current job level . There are areas between 2 and 3 hours away in Atlanta, Raleigh, Charleston but I was wanting a contract position in Florida to avoid cold, then move where I want after that contract is over, which is the Southwest.

$20/HR+ might seem like peanuts for someone in a high col area, but not me. I'm single as stated, with a somewhat lower cost life style . I wouldn't make the move unless I had a gauranteed start date for a position. I usually work contract positions .
Let me back up a little... I'd recommend looking up rent prices in those areas of FL.

Old 10-10-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:

Contract positions don't usually give you health & dental insurance, so that's an additional expense you will likely be paying … something to keep in mind.

BrianGC had a good idea as well. Definitely look up rents. You want to make sure what you're making can afford you a decent place.

Old 10-10-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Contract positions don't usually give you health & dental insurance, so that's an additional expense you will likely be paying … something to keep in mind.

BrianGC had a good idea as well. Definitely look up rents. You want to make sure what you're making can afford you a decent place.
I haven't had any kind of medical insurance or health issues for years , I'm use to no benefits with contracts as I don't need them right now. Just want a temporary income and rental would be a room mate / airbnb. I know FL cost more than SC , but not that much more than say Greenville. I'm not wanting to move into my own apartment with furniture , just a furnished room situation temporarily to save cash to go where I actually want to move for longer term.

Old 10-10-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I haven't had any kind of medical insurance or health issues for years , I'm use to no benefits with contracts as I don't need them right now. Just want a temporary income and rental would be a room mate / airbnb. I know FL cost more than SC , but not that much more than say Greenville. I'm not wanting to move into my own apartment with furniture , just a furnished room situation temporarily to save cash to go where I actually want to move for longer term.
So do you not get regular dental cleanings & doctor check-ups? You're young & think you don't need insurance … until you do.

My 2 cents. I'm a bit older than you (closer to 40) and just had my first dental issue … if you have been lucky thus far, good for you. It only lasts so long.

IMO, I would stay in SC until you can 'figure it out'. It seems you have your mountains there or whatever. SC is cheaper anyhow. If you are making the same $$ in SC as you are in FL, your money is going to go further in SC.

I too like hiking. I live outside NYC and I go hiking about an hour north of NYC. I think living somewhere that has stuff one likes to do is important.

Old 10-10-2019, 09:17 PM

1,069 posts, read 699,552 times
FYI, most people are going the other way: FL —> SC. I lived in FL for years and, during that time, met very few people from GA, NC and SC. However, it seemed like everyone and their mother was either planning to move from FL to one of those states or pining for life in those states due much better salary-COL ratios and friendlier, politer locals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or