U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 07:27 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,800,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
So why do the residents of this area allow these insulting rumors to live on?
I'm not sure what you think the residents could do to change the perceptions of others? Everywhere has it's extremes. I'm not a native but I moved to this area in Northeast TN ten years ago. The poverty I've seen in some areas is no worse than the poverty I witnessed in Memphis, it's just a different sort of poverty.
Media loves to paint a bleak picture and people latch on because it makes them feel better about their own station in life, or it makes them feel like they've made superior choices. Sure, there are people and places here that could use a lot of help, but it's not specific to Appalachia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2019, 07:48 AM

15,116 posts, read 8,120,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Appalachians are indeed poorer, whiter and less educated than average. with much higher rates of drug dependency.

So I'm not quite sure of the point.

The point is that in this thread, "Appalachia" is talking about West Virginia, Eastern Tennessee, and environs. Appalachia extends through northern New England and so do the social problems of rural white poverty in mountainous regions.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:50 AM

25,161 posts, read 18,661,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I'm not sure what you think the residents could do to change the perceptions of others? Everywhere has it's extremes. I'm not a native but I moved to this area in Northeast TN ten years ago. The poverty I've seen in some areas is no worse than the poverty I witnessed in Memphis, it's just a different sort of poverty.
Media loves to paint a bleak picture and people latch on because it makes them feel better about their own station in life, or it makes them feel like they've made superior choices. Sure, there are people and places here that could use a lot of help, but it's not specific to Appalachia.
The difference between rural southwest Virginia and eastern KY vs. Memphis is that Memphis has some pockets of affluence, a job base, a major university, infrastructure, etc. It's just much more developed now and far more capable of a "rebound" in the future.

I'm in my Kingsport office. From here, Pennington Gap is almost an hour away. Middlesboro is about an hour from Pennington Gap in the other direction.

Ballad is reopening Lee County Hospital over in Pennington Gap. Lee County residents haven't had a hospital in nearly ten years. It's an hour back to Kingsport for any hospital service. Anything serious is going to be sent to Johnson City - ninety minutes away. Pennington Gap has a Food City. Beyond that and probably a dollar store, any shopping is all the way back to Kingsport, which itself doesn't have much.

When I worked in Johnson City, we had someone in our office driving all the way from Haysi, VA. Haysi is a little over two hours from Johnson City and 98.5 mi. one way per Google. Both cities are in the WCYB media market. From Johnson City, you can get to Asheville in much less time. Hell, you can get to Greenville, South Carolina in two more minutes than you can get from Haysi to Johnson City.

A lot of people don't realize just how large yet isolated this region is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
One characteristic of the Appalachian culture is it tends to be unpretentious. You might consider that Appalachian people often don't care that much what the rest of the world thinks.

OP, can you tell us why you care so much?
There's a definite "crabs in the bucket" mentality. I worked in Lebanon, VA for two years after college. I left the area for a better job. There was an "I quit on the area" attitude among some of the people I worked with.

Old 10-16-2019, 04:28 PM

4,053 posts, read 1,761,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The point is that in this thread, "Appalachia" is talking about West Virginia, Eastern Tennessee, and environs. Appalachia extends through northern New England and so do the social problems of rural white poverty in mountainous regions.
I was getting ready to say the same thing. "Appalachia" goes from northern AL to ME. The areas that struggle generally are in eastern KY, WV, and SW VA. The other areas have their good and bad no more and no less than other places.

Old 10-16-2019, 07:19 PM

15,116 posts, read 8,120,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I was getting ready to say the same thing. "Appalachia" goes from northern AL to ME. The areas that struggle generally are in eastern KY, WV, and SW VA. The other areas have their good and bad no more and no less than other places.

Not really.

New Hampshire has 34 opiate-related deaths per 100,000. West Virginia tops the charts at 49. NH is #3 and Maine is #5. Western Massachusetts has a big problem with it. Ditto Vermont.

Old 10-19-2019, 04:30 PM

4,348 posts, read 4,930,493 times
Problems and causes vary by state, but the real reason stereotypes prevail is because most humans are stupid. The grand majority of our species are genetic failures, including many who hold an education.

Stereotyping is perpetuated both by outside ignorance, AND internal support. In both cases, idiots spurring on idiots.

Old 10-22-2019, 10:54 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,099,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
There still seems to be a lot of myths about the Appalachian Mountains and its residents that still prevail to this day.
Appalachians are poor, white, uneducated, drug dependent, backwards, ….
As many others have pointed out, with most stereotypes there is factual basis for why they exist. I think the tougher question is why does making fun of these stereotypes seem more socially acceptable than others. SNL or can run a skit making fun of the plight of poor uneducated people in Appalachia using non poor, non Appalachian actors and nobody cares. There is viral outrage about SNL being classiest, culturally insensitive or punching down at a disadvantaged social group.

My pet theory is the "woke" left is primarily focuse their outrage on gender, sexuality, and race issues above class concerns. Poor whites still have white privilege would be the "woke" retort. And on the right, Fox News and co would rather focus their outeage on illegal immigration and liberal activism rather than than acknowledge structural class issues which could undermine their pro big business economic agenda.

I guess in theory, Appalachian Americans could form an advocacy group to call out negative sterotyping, but they would probably be dismissed/belittled by the cultural left and cynically used by the right.

Last edited by jpdivola; 10-22-2019 at 11:11 AM..

Old 10-22-2019, 10:58 AM

58,684 posts, read 83,279,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
As many others have pointed out, with most stereotypes there is factual basis for why they exist. I think the tougher question is why does making fun of these stereotypes seem more socially acceptable than others. SNL or can run a skit making fun of the plight of poor uneducated people in Appalachia using non poor, non Appalachian actors and nobody cares. There is viral outrage about SNL being classiest, culturally insensitive or punching down at a disadvantaged social group.

My pet theory is the "woke" left is primarily focuse their outrage on gender, sexuality, and race issues above class concerns. Poor whites still have white privilege would be the "woke" retort. And on the right, Fox News and co would rather focus their outeage on illegal immigration and liberal activism rather than than acknowledge structural class issues which could undermine their pro big business economic agenda.

I guess in theory, Appalachian Americans could form an advocacy group to call out negative sterotyping, but they would probably be dismissed/belittled by the left and cynically used by the right.
The problem is that the people they should be forming alliances with are people that some may view as being an adversary due to how said groups have been historically pitted against each other by said people.

Old 10-22-2019, 11:02 AM

34,439 posts, read 43,286,441 times
One stereotype I didn't see mentioned is that we all marry our cousins. That's not true, only some of us did. The rest married their sisters.

Some of you really need to read this book https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born_Fighting to get a more nuanced view.

I moved from where I was a hillbilly to where I am a shorebilly. In both areas pretentious douches have invaded and tried to buy influence with their dollars while reminding their new neighbors how unworthy they are. I've actually had people here tell me that some residents, including I suppose myself, don't deserve to live here.

Old 10-22-2019, 11:17 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,099,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
The problem is that the people they should be forming alliances with are people that some may view as being an adversary due to how said groups have been historically pitted against each other by said people.
I don't want to make this a political issue. Liberal politicians like Joe Biden, Elizabeth Warren and others spend a good deal of time talking about working class issues. I'm speaking more about the "cultural" left in media/pop culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.