U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 11:10 AM

362 posts, read 120,563 times

Advertisements

There still seems to be a lot of myths about the Appalachian Mountains and its residents that still prevail to this day.
Appalachians are poor, white, uneducated, drug dependent, backwards, …..

I know all that is bunk and within its 737000-plus square miles the people of the region vary as much as its wildlife.

So why do the residents of this area allow these insulting rumors to live on?

I have heard several times that the reason that the people that live in the Appalachian mountains allow these myths to prevail is because it helps keep all the townies away. (But its seems to not be working on the rich retirees!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 11:57 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,164,233 times
Many stereotypes still have ounces of truth to them. I'd be willing to guess that certain stats, such as education level, income level, obesity rates, housing values, etc. would support at least a portion of the stereotype. Does that mean all residents are that way......absolutely not!

I also don't think it's the residents that "allow" the stereotypes to live on. Instead it's things like the 20/20 special reports and such: https://www.dailyindependent.com/new...0f36bdd87.html

For the record, I live in Georgia and love going to the Blue Ridge Mountains. I also used to live right next the trail in NW NJ, so I know their beauty and how good some of the residents can be.

Old 10-10-2019, 02:51 PM

15,092 posts, read 8,108,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Many stereotypes still have ounces of truth to them. I'd be willing to guess that certain stats, such as education level, income level, obesity rates, housing values, etc. would support at least a portion of the stereotype. Does that mean all residents are that way......absolutely not!

Ever been to North Adams, Massachusetts? The Walmart in Rutland, Vermont? The opiate epidemic has hit places like those really hard. Alcoholism is a huge problem. Education levels are really low and poverty levels are very high. They've been crushed by the 21st century global economy where the places with high concentrations of educated, highly skilled people see all the prosperity. It's not limited to Appalachia. Look at the 2016 election results. It's pretty easy to spot the haves and have nots based on how the county voted.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:59 PM

10,036 posts, read 7,568,107 times
Appalachians are indeed poorer, whiter and less educated than average. with much higher rates of drug dependency.

So I'm not quite sure of the point.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:18 AM

4,657 posts, read 2,754,594 times
Clinging to dying industries and refusing to adapt or move is not helping their case.

I lived in the Appalachian foothills and it was like straight out of Deliverance. Complete with boil alerts because the infastructre was so poor the water wasn't safe to drink or even shower in.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:13 AM

25,144 posts, read 18,645,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Appalachians are indeed poorer, whiter and less educated than average. with much higher rates of drug dependency.

So I'm not quite sure of the point.
Agree with this as a native Appalachian.

The bottom line is that "core" Appalachia in WV, KY, and southwest VA is well behind the rest of the nation in virtually any metric. I'm in the southwest VA media market. Boil water notices are common. The hospitals are struggling to stay open, and it's likely more will close. Even Walmart pulled out of Big Stone Gap, VA. There's very little retail. Very little medical. Very little of anything.

Old 10-11-2019, 11:23 AM

367 posts, read 159,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post

So why do the residents of this area allow these insulting rumors to live on?
1) Because there is truth to the rumors. My husband's grandfather grew up and lived most of his life in Appalachia. It wasn't some quaint mountain get away; people there have a lower quality of standard American life due to a severe lack of education and infrastructure management. They know this and know most outsiders think this, but parts of it is cultural as I'll explain below.

2) Because of the lack of infrastructure and limited resources most people can't simply visit or enjoy a normal extended stay. If they don't visit or see for themselves they go off what they know which is these areas have nothing, see no growth, and the people there are less educated than themselves.

In the end Appalachia is essentially identical to the struggling extremely poor urban areas in cities or the small towns in the country that are getting choked out and disappearing. No retiree or growing family is going to move in an area that doesn't have consistent safe drinking water or absolutely no medical services. Some of these areas don't have any kind of shopping, including grocery stores or pharmacies. They obviously need new representation, but that's dictated by the large cities that view the Appalachians as less important areas of need. For many people they're just poor uneducated white mountain trash holdouts that can fend for themselves or die out.

The difference and reason Appalachia seems to fight on is they have more freedom to stay alive and find consistency in their situation. You have generations of individual families that pass on housing and resources to each other versus people facing rental evictions and rising property costs. They have space or the ability to go to spaces to produce, gather, or hunt food; meanwhile people in cities buy from the Dollar Store. They have the training and skills to live without any outside help versus continued assistance on government programs which can be varied in how they actually help. So they thrive (in their own ways) and live on, as much as being uneducated and poor has its challenges many look at the poor in Flint and Detroit and consider themselves lucky. It's a bit about perspective and even more about the community culture.

Old 10-11-2019, 11:37 AM

352 posts, read 147,879 times
So what? The stereotype in large urban areas is that people are snobby, self-absorbed, a-holes.

Everyone has stereotypes about where they come from and everyone understands where the truth is and where the BS is. Just get over it

Old 10-11-2019, 04:00 PM

4,361 posts, read 6,506,214 times
Interesting story about Appalachia that OP might appreciate

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...out-appalachia

Old 10-12-2019, 12:54 PM

5,828 posts, read 8,994,136 times
One characteristic of the Appalachian culture is it tends to be unpretentious. You might consider that Appalachian people often don't care that much what the rest of the world thinks.

OP, can you tell us why you care so much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.