Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 08:23 PM

379 posts, read 463,257 times

Advertisements

Had a thought about using a slightly different metric to calculate climate/weather. Notably, what percentage of the year is a jacket required. For example, for NYC, there are probably 135 days a year where no jacket is required (thanks Phil Collins). Miami? 330? LA is tricky as it’s relatively warm year round but due to the drier climate, sometimes you may need a light jacket even in summer nights. Etc etc.

Completely random absurd topic I know. Sue me.

Now do your town. Go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 08:59 PM

5,314 posts, read 5,044,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraza9 View Post
Had a thought about using a slightly different metric to calculate climate/weather. Notably, what percentage of the year is a jacket required. For example, for NYC, there are probably 135 days a year where no jacket is required (thanks Phil Collins). Miami? 330? LA is tricky as it’s relatively warm year round but due to the drier climate, sometimes you may need a light jacket even in summer nights. Etc etc.

Completely random absurd topic I know. Sue me.

Now do your town. Go.
In the central west and west plains, a lot of this will depend on what time of day you're out? 630AM or 230PM makes a 30 degree difference many days. If we took 700PM as the benchmark, I'd say Denver would be about the same, about 4-5 months out of the year.

Old 10-04-2019, 09:02 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,259,323 times
two to three months here in Midland, Texas.

Old 10-04-2019, 09:35 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,741,534 times
hmm. i like cooler weather, so don't wear a jacket that much until winter. In Pittsburgh I'd say December to March a jacket or coat is generally required for me. so that's 1/3. of course this varies and sometimes october and November, might want a jacket, but on average not needed for me.

Old 10-04-2019, 10:02 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,853,354 times
It depends on your tolerance for cooler weather. For me, around late September is when i start wearing a jacket. By early November im wearing a coat until early April, and jacket until late April/early May.

Old 10-04-2019, 11:02 PM

10,116 posts, read 15,787,106 times
A jacket is required maybe November -March in Baton Rouge though often that's a light jacket not a heavy one, and it wouldn't be every single day within that period.

The metric I like to use is how long in the year can you swim outdoors.

But yeah, Louisiana does have a winter, its not as long or cold as up north, but I'd say at least 3-4 months the heat would be on regularly and I would wear a coat outside. The people who claim Louisiana has no winter are those who believe temperatures must go below freezing to qualify as winter, I guess our winters here are considered fall weather in the Northeast and Upper Midwest.

Old 10-05-2019, 01:59 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,948,220 times
Jacket weather may be a little subjective. I have a friend from Chicago that wears short sleeves unless it's below 40 degrees.

In LA, I once walked into work behind a woman wearing a full winter coat, fur lined boots, mittens, a knit hat, with a scarf wrapped around her face covering everything below her eyes, when there was a light breeze, a little overcast, and ... 58F.

Old 10-05-2019, 06:54 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,240,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Jacket weather may be a little subjective. I have a friend from Chicago that wears short sleeves unless it's below 40 degrees.
Yeah, it's all relative. My uncle who will be 83 in December, born and raised in Northeastern PA, then lived in New Jersey and Connecticut, moved his family to Scottsdale, AZ (he's still there) in 1979 to work for Motorola, and he'll wear a jacket/sweater when it's in the 70's!

When I worked down in Antarctica, I would consistently wear shorts when I wasn't working, which meant post-holing it to get to other buildings some times in shorts.

Old 10-05-2019, 07:25 AM

67,655 posts, read 60,273,788 times
Three years ago on exactly these dates my husband and I went to Maine on vacation. (It was beautiful by the way.)

Many things struck me but clothing wise this really stuck out - the "summer" attire was all on sale. It was what we would consider "winter" attire here - sweat shirts, jackets, hoodies, that sort of thing. So the good news is that we got a lot of really fun clothing items at clearance prices! The other thing that struck me was that when we went to the LL Bean outlet, there was not a SINGLE thing we could imagine buying - which was surprising. That was because without exception, every single item was incredibly heavy and hot. We couldn't imagine wearing even the heavy flannel shirts in NE Texas.

I agree with Tom - like Louisiana, Texas has a winter too. And it does get below freezing here, pretty regularly from December through February, and occasionally in March and November. But it rarely stays below freezing during the day - it generally warms up to the 50s, though of course we have a few cold spells where the temps are below 20 at night and don't get above about 35 during the day - but those events are rare. So we generally wear jackets - or at least a sweat shirt and maybe a T shirt under it - for probably 120 days at the most per year - maybe more like 90.

Old 10-05-2019, 10:23 AM

11,999 posts, read 12,855,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Yeah, it's all relative. My uncle who will be 83 in December, born and raised in Northeastern PA, then lived in New Jersey and Connecticut, moved his family to Scottsdale, AZ (he's still there) in 1979 to work for Motorola, and he'll wear a jacket/sweater when it's in the 70's!

When I worked down in Antarctica, I would consistently wear shorts when I wasn't working, which meant post-holing it to get to other buildings some times in shorts.

Shorts, Hawaiian shirt and Flip Flops in Antartica Never thought I'd see that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.