U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 06:07 PM

1,550 posts, read 1,177,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Yeah I'm not saying that no regional cultural differences exist, but for the most part I think that people are pretty similar when you adjust for certain differences like ethnicity and income.
Yes, but ethnicity and income are part of regional differences. I don't think it's fair to try and completely separate the two. Part of the reason Detroit is different from say Minneapolis, is the Detroit is 80+% black. That's a part of the regional difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 07:31 PM

2,667 posts, read 819,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Yes, but ethnicity and income are part of regional differences. I don't think it's fair to try and completely separate the two. Part of the reason Detroit is different from say Minneapolis, is the Detroit is 80+% black. That's a part of the regional difference.
But demographics create those differences within cities (and even neighborhoods) too

Old 10-15-2019, 07:41 PM

3,177 posts, read 1,692,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Hispanics openly using the N word, using AAVE, wearing Jordans, getting AA influenced haircuts, listening to mostly hip hop etc. is common in all 50 states. That type of thing might be more prevalent in the Northeast with PRs and DRs, but it's common among Mexican-Americans too throughout the country.

And reggaeton is very popular among all Hispanic groupd in the US.
That is all i need. Furthermore, theres a host of other differences amongst hispanics in different regions besides just the difference in fashion dress and linguistics. I mentioned some such as how long theyve been in the US urban versus rural vs suburban, food, and integration/segregation levels.

Im not naiive in thinking that all northeastern Hispanics are one way and others elsewhere arent that way. But its about patterns, and yes generalizations. Otherwise we couldnt acknowledge pretty real differences.

Old 10-15-2019, 07:57 PM

7,394 posts, read 4,057,196 times
We are talking about culture here. Some article of clothing or manner of speech or behaviors that someone age 13 to 23 uses to be included as part of their peer group is not a defining factor of culture. Wearing Jordans or listening to a particular style of music is mostly a superficial artifact of an age group.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
That is all i need. Furthermore, theres a host of other differences amongst hispanics in different regions besides just the difference in fashion dress and linguistics. I mentioned some such as how long theyve been in the US urban versus rural vs suburban, food, and integration/segregation levels.

Im not naiive in thinking that all northeastern Hispanics are one way and others elsewhere arent that way. But its about patterns, and yes generalizations. Otherwise we couldnt acknowledge pretty real differences.
But there are places like Chicagoland, Eastern Texas, Bay Area, etc. where the Chicanos are just as black influenced as Northeast PRs/DRs. You even see cases of Chicanos getting cornrows with their straight hai

I will give you that the food is a lot different, though.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:11 PM

1,168 posts, read 416,959 times
Mexicans in L.A. and Dominicans/Ricans in the NE are two very different stories IMO . But I think Mexicans when they are out East tend to 'assimilate' more into the locally dominant Hispanic culture though and start to act more like the latter.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
We are talking about culture here. Some article of clothing or manner of speech or behaviors that someone age 13 to 23 uses to be included as part of their peer group is not a defining factor of culture. Wearing Jordans or listening to a particular style of music is mostly a superficial artifact of an age group.
Fashion, speech, and music are pillars of culture. And young people (who I would extend up to at least 30) cannot be written off.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Mexicans in L.A. and Dominicans/Ricans in the NE are two very different stories IMO . But I think Mexicans when they are out East tend to 'assimilate' more into the locally dominant Hispanic culture though and start to act more like the latter.
A lot of Mexicans in LA (especially the black parts) act the way Nuyoricans are stereotyped as acting. The Cholo days are long gone for the most part.

Old 10-16-2019, 07:21 AM

3,177 posts, read 1,692,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Strongly disagree that these things are restricted to people 12-23. Even if it were that is the way people grow up and it shapes a lot of their perspective as adults. Speech music and dress is a huge part of culture regardless.

A lot of what I’m talking about is in regard to people in their 30s and 40s. In my baltimore neighborhood I walk by tons of Central American guys with paint and stains all over their work clothes. Drinking Coronas on the steps. They’re short and unconcerned with fashion and don’t speak a lot of English. I can legitimately say I never saw scenes such as that growing up in Boston which has 4c as many Hispanic. I never saw hispanic day laborer groups in the city (not to say they didn’t exist) but it’s the dominant culture in Baltimore. I never saw Hispanics at Home Depot waiting for work in Boston or Hartford-only when I moved to DC and Baltimore . It seems they operate pretty differently economically-the men at least.

Old 10-16-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Strongly disagree that these things are restricted to people 12-23. Even if it were that is the way people grow up and it shapes a lot of their perspective as adults. Speech music and dress is a huge part of culture regardless.

A lot of what I’m talking about is in regard to people in their 30s and 40s. In my baltimore neighborhood I walk by tons of Central American guys with paint and stains all over their work clothes. Drinking Coronas on the steps. They’re short and unconcerned with fashion and don’t speak a lot of English. I can legitimately say I never saw scenes such as that growing up in Boston which has 4c as many Hispanic. I never saw hispanic day laborer groups in the city (not to say they didn’t exist) but it’s the dominant culture in Baltimore. I never saw Hispanics at Home Depot waiting for work in Boston or Hartford-only when I moved to DC and Baltimore . It seems they operate pretty differently economically-the men at least.
Don't their kids assimilate into black Baltimore culture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or