U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 06:58 AM

822 posts, read 891,934 times

Advertisements

Garrett County, Maryland possibly qualifies, with maybe just over half of the winter with snow cover, and it certainly gets more than Pittsburgh. On my road trip to the Midwest in June, it was cold enough in the daytime at Keyser's Ridge where a jacket/sweater could come in handy, while much of the rest of Maryland is sweating it out in the heat. Then the downsloping of the mountains to the east acts as a heat compressor, and since the prevailing wind direction tends to come off those mountains, makes it difficult for there to be a lot of snow by the time you get to around I-81. But on the east coast outside the mountains, you really have to be north of I-90 to start getting into serious snow cover that truly defines the winter, with the lowland stretch between I-80 and I-90 (including inner Boston, Providence, Hartford, and the lower/middle Hudson Valley region of NY) being variable in terms of seasonal snow cover, where some winters, they're there for much of the season, others, a mere fraction. The progressively taller mountains and wider lowlands in addition of latitude contribute to the noticeable dropoff of snow presence along the East Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 03:12 PM

1,434 posts, read 783,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M. View Post
Vermont. That's where. I've heard they have snow on the ground for all of December, January and February (meteorological winter). Snowpack usually doesn't melt until sometime in March, and transient snows in November and even April aren't uncommon.

Good luck. White scenery isn't what it seems. You have to have a central heating system, driving in snow is dangerous, and it's too cold to enjoy much time outside.
Ask anyone that lives or is from New England and they will tell you there can/will be wild temperature swings in winter (due in part to the proximity of the Atlantic). Here you can see Burlington, VT December data from last year. You will notice it gets above freezing on several days and even gets into the mid 50s in the latter half of the month than drops below freezing the next day. That's New England weather in a nutshell if you're not from there lol. Yes, it gets snow and cold weather but having the snow stick around throughout the majority of the winter isn't a bet I'd make.:
https://www.wunderground.com/history...V/date/2018-12

Even Caribou, Maine hit 50f last December and 53f in January:
https://www.wunderground.com/history...I/date/2018-12

Last edited by fluffydelusions; 11-05-2019 at 03:33 PM..

Old 11-05-2019, 04:50 PM

336 posts, read 67,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
Ask anyone that lives or is from New England and they will tell you there can/will be wild temperature swings in winter (due in part to the proximity of the Atlantic). Here you can see Burlington, VT December data from last year. You will notice it gets above freezing on several days and even gets into the mid 50s in the latter half of the month than drops below freezing the next day. That's New England weather in a nutshell if you're not from there lol. Yes, it gets snow and cold weather but having the snow stick around throughout the majority of the winter isn't a bet I'd make.:
https://www.wunderground.com/history...V/date/2018-12

Even Caribou, Maine hit 50f last December and 53f in January:
https://www.wunderground.com/history...I/date/2018-12
I know it can get above freezing sometimes, but it's not only about that. I've heard Flagstaff, AZ maintains a decent winter snowpack regardless of daytime temps. Why? They're counteracted by frigid nights and still cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or