U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 07:30 AM

385 posts, read 105,865 times

Advertisements

There is quite often misconception that Europe is cold continent but it is actually warm continent and there is barely snow here in winters except for very northern part of it. As I have never been to United States I am curious if it is the same there with exception of Alaska of course. So in northern states or places like Boston, New York, Chicago is snow present for longer periods of time like most of the winter or is it rare and just reoccuring for short periods of time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2019, 07:35 AM

525 posts, read 207,588 times
While growing up in Upstate NY, I *remember* that snow was on the ground for what felt like almost the entirety of late December through early March. Now a days, it is patchier, maybe snow on the ground half of the time, depending on levels of shade, etc.

NYC, no, it will snow, sit around for maybe a few days, then melt. Chicago and Boston have a better chance of keeping the snow. I think your best bet for snow that comes and stays will be places like the UP of Michigan, Adirondacks, and Northern New England (VT, NH, ME). The mountains in the West also typically keep snow throughout winter, but the lower elevation areas out there are a different story.

Old 10-12-2019, 07:44 AM

1,473 posts, read 921,233 times
Most of the lake effect regions of upstate Ny (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse) have snow on the ground most of the winter. Unless there is a freak 40-50 degree day that melts it is there most of the winter, at least Jan-March. However snow is not uncommon oct-dec and even April and early May snow is possible.

Old 10-12-2019, 01:02 PM

394 posts, read 196,799 times
Almost anywhere that's above Interstate 90.

Old 10-12-2019, 05:04 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,257,142 times
The northernmost tier of states east of the Rockies generally have snow on the ground for most of the winter:

Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Upstate New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine. Those are the only states where you can count on reliable snow cover.

And then of course, almost all of Alaska.

Old 10-12-2019, 05:04 PM

7,249 posts, read 4,501,778 times
I would say the US is somewhat comparable to Europe in this regard. There are places that get a lot of snow, places that never get snow, and places where it snows, but the snow isn't deep and doesn't last long. It varies so much by the precise location.

For instance, people think of the Northeast as the snowiest part of the US, but California gets a great deal of snow, in some places over 10 meters per year. However, snow is concentrated in the mountains and not in the areas where most people live. The major cities in California (Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, etc.) get virtually no snow at all. So is California a snowy place? Yes and no.

Another example: Western Washington state (e.g Seattle) gets very little snow, some years none at all, while Eastern Washington state (e.g., Spokane) may have 2-3 cm on the ground for much of the winter and sometimes more.

Old 10-12-2019, 05:12 PM

1,434 posts, read 783,589 times
Upstate NY and upper midwest

Old 10-12-2019, 05:15 PM

1,434 posts, read 783,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I would say the US is somewhat comparable to Europe in this regard. There are places that get a lot of snow, places that never get snow, and places where it snows, but the snow isn't deep and doesn't last long. It varies so much by the precise location.

For instance, people think of the Northeast as the snowiest part of the US, but California gets a great deal of snow, in some places over 10 meters per year. However, snow is concentrated in the mountains and not in the areas where most people live. The major cities in California (Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, etc.) get virtually no snow at all. So is California a snowy place? Yes and no.

Another example: Western Washington state (e.g Seattle) gets very little snow, some years none at all, while Eastern Washington state (e.g., Spokane) may have 2-3 cm on the ground for much of the winter and sometimes more.
The Cascades in Washington is also one of the snowiest places in the US.
Quote:
The Paradise area at Mount Rainier (elevation of 5,400 feet) is known for its snowfall. Paradise once held the world record for measured snowfall in single year in 1971-1972: 1,122 inches (93.5 feet/28.5 meters).
https://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvis...all-totals.htm

Old 10-12-2019, 08:01 PM

639 posts, read 172,854 times
The South rarely gets snow. When I was a kid, 8 inches of snow was considered a blizzard here. It snows even more rarely these years. It was slightly more common in the 70s & 80s. I hate snow TBH, and ice storms are even worse. Winter, which used to be one of my favorite seasons due to the holidays, is now my second most despised - after summer. Too bad I can't afford to live in San Diego.

Old 10-12-2019, 08:17 PM

3,125 posts, read 2,184,959 times
Buffalo.

Actually, many times in Chicago it is too cold for snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
While growing up in Upstate NY, I *remember* that snow was on the ground for what felt like almost the entirety of late December through early March. Now a days, it is patchier, maybe snow on the ground half of the time, depending on levels of shade, etc.

NYC, no, it will snow, sit around for maybe a few days, then melt. Chicago and Boston have a better chance of keeping the snow. I think your best bet for snow that comes and stays will be places like the UP of Michigan, Adirondacks, and Northern New England (VT, NH, ME). The mountains in the West also typically keep snow throughout winter, but the lower elevation areas out there are a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or