U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2019, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 401 times

Advertisements

Currently live outside Knoxville (population around 200k) looking to find a new area in the Western half of the US (farthest East consideration would be NW Arkansas)

I work in healthcare management and husband works retail. Kids are grown. We make around 120k salary which is double the median income in our current area, so I think we have pretty marketable skills.

We'd like to find a smaller city similar to Knoxville size for work, but live in a little more rural town with an easy commute. We do not like to live on top of other people.

Other considerations are mild winters with little snow. We enjoy outdoor walks and do love the mountains but just general enjoyable outdoors is fine, because in reality we don't have a lot of time to really do a lot of recreation.

I know Texas is very affordable but not interested in the really big cities and I know it's not the most scenic place to live. But maybe there is a spot there for us.

Any suggestions for us to look into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 04:58 PM

2,394 posts, read 1,583,986 times
Check out New Mexico. cool place and pretty affordable

Old 10-13-2019, 08:08 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,642,721 times
Without getting down to a more specific area, the list is pretty large. With that said, I will stick to what may be more appealing, at least in my opinion. Also, keep in mind, some of these places get a lot of snow, and some get no snow and have long summers.
*= Might be too big

TX:
Corpus Christi, Waco, Temple, College Station, Victoria, New Braunfels, El Paso*

AR:
Fort Smith

OK:
Tusla*, OKC*

NM:
Santa Fe, Albuquerque*

Az:
Tuscon*

CO:
Colorado Springs*, Pueblo, Ft. Collins, Grand Junction

KS:
Wichita

UT:
Prov, Orem

NV:
Reno, Carson City

WY:
Cheyenne, Casper

ID:
Boise, Pocatello, Twin Falls

MT:
Billings, Coeur d'Alene, Missoula, Helena

WA:
Spokane, Tri-Cities

OR:
Eugene, Medford, Bend

CA:
Redding, Eureka

Old 10-13-2019, 08:14 PM

4,978 posts, read 2,024,140 times
mild winters, little snow, easy commute, most scenic...
Unicorn, NV.

Old 10-14-2019, 01:04 AM

132 posts, read 43,586 times
The Rogue River Valley of Oregon, whose principal city is Medford, could fit the bill. Ashland and Jacksonville are great little towns. Mild climate, fantastic scenery and nature. Easygoing lifestyle.

Old 10-14-2019, 06:27 AM

21,575 posts, read 31,245,492 times
I'd recommend Olympia WA (population 51K) which is 30 minutes from the Seattle-Tacoma suburbs so close enough to plenty of employment options. It's much quieter there than Sea-Tac and stunningly beautiful with a decent cost of living. Winters are mild as well with just 6" snow on average. https://www.experienceolympia.com/ex...ounty/olympia/

Old 10-14-2019, 01:45 PM

4,053 posts, read 1,760,356 times
New Mexico. Las Cruces or maybe somewhere outside of Albuquerque.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or