U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 07:57 AM

5 posts, read 1,680 times

Advertisements

What city fits the bill for a single gay male in his early 30s. I dont care about the weather. I hust want a livable city that there is something going on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 07:59 AM

3,124 posts, read 1,675,126 times
miami

Old 10-15-2019, 08:06 AM

3,885 posts, read 1,523,190 times
Is being gay even an issue in any major city any more?

If you want the best urban experience for your dollar and weather is a non-issue, Chicago wins in a landslide.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:17 AM

1,369 posts, read 845,699 times
Out of these 4 cities the most "livable" in my opinion would be Austin. Doesn't have the horrendous winters like Boston and Chicago do. Hurricanes aren't a major issue like they are in Miami. Humidity is still a thing in Austin but not nearly as bad as Miami. Lots of Boston and Chicago residents are "lifers" and are very conservative and "in their ways" which sometimes hinders growth/change. That doesn't mean all these cities aren't all gay friendly. Austin and Miami are just a bit more gay friendly.

There are a lot of people who live in Austin car-free, but it's not as easy as it is in Boston and Chicago. COL isn't as high as it is in Boston and Miami, but probably on par or slightly above Chicago. Rent is rising quickly in Austin, but you get a lot more space and a lot newer housing options for similar prices.

Austin and Boston are both also the capital of their respective states, meaning a bit more cushion from recession/economic downturns. Lots of government jobs, healthcare, tech, all that.

Old 10-15-2019, 01:30 PM

442 posts, read 243,405 times
Aside from being gay, maybe consider other things that are important to you. Weather, you say, isn't one of them, but how about a particular food or music or sports or entertainment scene? All of the places you mention are big enough cities to have people from all walks of life, but there are geographical influences everywhere. I'm no expert on any of those places, but I would imagine Miami has Caribbean/Cuban cultural influences; Austin would have some Tex-Mex; Boston would have a Yankee/New England feel; and Chicago an overall Midwestern vibe (including things like baseball, beer, brats...you get the idea).

Old 10-16-2019, 05:29 PM

1,172 posts, read 373,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
Out of these 4 cities the most "livable" in my opinion would be Austin. Doesn't have the horrendous winters like Boston and Chicago do. Hurricanes aren't a major issue like they are in Miami. Humidity is still a thing in Austin but not nearly as bad as Miami. Lots of Boston and Chicago residents are "lifers" and are very conservative and "in their ways" which sometimes hinders growth/change. That doesn't mean all these cities aren't all gay friendly. Austin and Miami are just a bit more gay friendly.

There are a lot of people who live in Austin car-free, but it's not as easy as it is in Boston and Chicago. COL isn't as high as it is in Boston and Miami, but probably on par or slightly above Chicago. Rent is rising quickly in Austin, but you get a lot more space and a lot newer housing options for similar prices.

Austin and Boston are both also the capital of their respective states, meaning a bit more cushion from recession/economic downturns. Lots of government jobs, healthcare, tech, all that.
Don't forget, Boston is is a very transient city, or at least it's becoming more transient I would think. I think it's still growing by around ~8,000~ people a year. Chicago's unfortunately not growing that fast I don't think.

Old 10-16-2019, 05:50 PM

3,115 posts, read 2,182,879 times
Actually, OP would be better off in Ft Lauderdale, specifically Wilton Manor. Quite a few gays, not all, have fled Miami for Ft Lauderdale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
miami

Old 10-17-2019, 06:16 AM

3,715 posts, read 1,790,696 times
Once the OP said he doesn't care about weather. Basically, I might come down to choosing a city by work available in your field, visiting key Gay areas/neighborhoods and options available to live in these areas and areas nearby that gain more Gay transplants.

Each may have a different feel/vibe as these cities will. Generally, in such relocation options others might suggest? I'd say start a thread in each city forum you are most interested in. Internet, research into these cities Gay neighborhoods especially. Since most of these cities will be Gay friendly in or near cores and key neighborhoods anyway.

Just suggesting ones favorite city and weather ..... isn't really helping.

Old 10-17-2019, 09:56 AM

2,295 posts, read 1,247,637 times
I'd go Chicago. Boystown or West Loop to be specific.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:23 AM

789 posts, read 304,971 times
Boston is grea but the gay scene supposively is way different than other places. Its one of the most gay cities, but I noticed many of the LGBT families are integrated very well with the population and have families, etc. Its very different, the gay night club scene is dwindling because the lot of the gay population just goes to regular clubs. In my opinion, Boston is like the least extrusive gay city. Which is different, not necessarily a bad thing.. its just a way different dynamic than plces like Orlando, NYC and Miami where you KNOW the lGBT population s there and thriving and everything. Boston is like commuter gays.

So Depends on what you want. Chicago is affordable, good jobs etc. Miami is a good vacation spot, dont live there. Austin? idk.

Id Rank
1. Chicago

2. Boston
3. Austin
4. Miami
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or