U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-17-2019, 01:02 PM
 
5,775 posts, read 7,166,807 times
Reputation: 3014

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I don't know what to tell you. I manage the supply base for a tier one automotive supplier in Grand Haven. More than half of my job for the last 5 years has been to travel to suppliers inthese podunk towns across Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, and Wisconsin. I can promise you these small firms still exist throughout the Midwest in plenty, and yes they do in fact build automotive components, among other things.
I am on daily WEBEXes with suppliers in Mexico and China.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-17-2019, 01:08 PM
 
4,102 posts, read 3,672,963 times
Reputation: 6620
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I am on daily WEBEXes with suppliers in Mexico and China.....
So am I, no one is denying that a lot of components have been sourced internationally. It is however factually inaccurate or intellectually dishonest at worst to infer that it’s ALL moved offshore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2019, 02:32 PM
 
11 posts, read 2,668 times
Reputation: 11
Wisconsin easily
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2019, 08:44 AM
 
278 posts, read 100,757 times
Reputation: 351
La Crosse Wi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2019, 10:39 PM
 
1,579 posts, read 1,560,540 times
Reputation: 1613
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Minneapolis is the best city in the Midwest. It is clean, safe and offers a lot. Some of the rest of Minnesota could be seen as a bit less than interesting. The north woods of Minnesota however are very pretty.

Michigan is blessed with the most striking scenery of the three states with places like sleeping bear dunes or picture rocks in Northern Michigan. No state in America has as many lakes, and it by far has the most Great Lake shores. Michigan however is saddled with places like Detroit and Flint and its economic dependency on auto manufacturers. Most Michigan people live near these embattled communities and they also live far from the beautiful areas of their state. The southern third of Michigan looks a lot like Indiana.

Wisconsin has much of the beauty of northern Michigan and its cities are cleaner and nicer than Michigan’s are. I believe overall Wisconsin is the nicest upper Midwest state. It offers the best all around upper Midwest experience. If I were looking to move to that region I would choose Wisconsin.
I agree with the majority of your post.

However, you stated that cities in Wisconsin are cleaner and nicer than those in Michigan. While Michigan has Detroit, Flint, and Saginaw, it also has some vibrant and clean cities such as Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, and Traverse City - and not to mention vibrant suburbs in Oakland County as well as all those beach towns up and down its shores.

Also, Detroit only makes up 15% of the population of southeastern Michigan.

At the end of the day, you would be hard pressed to find a Michigander who would prefer the scenery of another state in the region over Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2019, 07:04 AM
 
1,323 posts, read 1,178,316 times
Reputation: 2242
Minnesota’s economy is outpacing Wisconsin.

https://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/20...-vs-wisconsin/

I think Wisconsin is a more interesting state (you have the Lake Michigan shoreline which is a treasure) but outside of that feature they are very similar geographically. And MSP is better than any metro in Wisconsin on most objective measures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2019, 08:20 AM
 
2,445 posts, read 1,210,514 times
Reputation: 3117
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Minnesota’s economy is outpacing Wisconsin.

https://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/20...-vs-wisconsin/

I think Wisconsin is a more interesting state (you have the Lake Michigan shoreline which is a treasure) but outside of that feature they are very similar geographically. And MSP is better than any metro in Wisconsin on most objective measures.
Minneapolis is changing...and, not for the better. Anyone can Google downtown Minneapolis, and see the plethora of articles about the crime. I've been there numerous times in the last couple of years, and I can attest to the fact, that it's pretty much devoid of people during the daytime, there is an element hanging by the bus stops, that "crowd" you when you walk by, and I had an overall feeling of unease walking downtown. SO not like any other downtown I've been in. Minneapolis has downtown problems, and if anyone tries to deny it, I say, again, Google it. One more thing you can Google...a severe shortage of police officers in the city.

Here's but one article...

That photo of downtown at the top of the article, is how it looked during the daytime, the several times I have been there. Where are the people?

https://alphanewsmn.com/downtown-min...lying-in-wait/

Last edited by Enean; 10-20-2019 at 08:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2019, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Maryland
4,360 posts, read 5,653,430 times
Reputation: 4854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Minneapolis is changing...and, not for the better. Anyone can Google downtown Minneapolis, and see the plethora of articles about the crime. I've been there numerous times in the last couple of years, and I can attest to the fact, that it's pretty much devoid of people during the daytime, there is an element hanging by the bus stops, that "crowd" you when you walk by, and I had an overall feeling of unease walking downtown. SO not like any other downtown I've been in. Minneapolis has downtown problems, and if anyone tries to deny it, I say, again, Google it. One more thing you can Google...a severe shortage of police officers in the city.

Here's but one article...

That photo of downtown at the top of the article, is how it looked during the daytime, the several times I have been there. Where are the people?

https://alphanewsmn.com/downtown-min...lying-in-wait/
It is true that downtown Minneapolis is far from a "happening" place to be on many weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2019, 12:14 PM
 
Location: SoCal, but itching to relocate
436 posts, read 241,890 times
Reputation: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Here's but one article...

That photo of downtown at the top of the article, is how it looked during the daytime, the several times I have been there. Where are the people?

https://alphanewsmn.com/downtown-min...lying-in-wait/
Not to derail this post any further, but wow! I read the article and a lot of it sounds like California. All I can say is: Be careful who you vote for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2019, 10:05 PM
 
Location: Naples Island
1,069 posts, read 699,552 times
Reputation: 2204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
I agree with the majority of your post.

However, you stated that cities in Wisconsin are cleaner and nicer than those in Michigan. While Michigan has Detroit, Flint, and Saginaw, it also has some vibrant and clean cities such as Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, and Traverse City - and not to mention vibrant suburbs in Oakland County as well as all those beach towns up and down its shores.

Also, Detroit only makes up 15% of the population of southeastern Michigan.

At the end of the day, you would be hard pressed to find a Michigander who would prefer the scenery of another state in the region over Michigan.
I was floored by the beauty and cleanliness of northern and western Michigan during a trip this past summer. In a number of recent posts, I discuss those positive attributes of Michigan among others — you may what to check them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top