U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2019, 07:21 AM

47,084 posts, read 37,886,617 times

Advertisements

"From Atlantic to Pacific, well the traffic is terrific."

I LOVE that song!

Anyway, I think of Virginia for so many holidays - maybe because it was part of the 13 original colonies, has four seasons, etc. Oh - and I spent several really formative years of my childhood there - I'm sure that had an influence. And growing up just outside of Williamsburg and Yorktown and Jamestown really impacted me, and they make a big deal out of so many holidays. So I always think of Virginia for Thanksgiving and the 4th of July.

Christmas - well, I don't care for snow, but I do want it to be cold. Still, that song "Christmas in Dixie" sort of wraps up so many memories of Christmas for me. Frosty mornings, hot coffee with loved ones, people coming to the door in scarves and coats, carrying presents and other goodies - I love it.

St. Patrick's Day for me is anywhere where there's green beer - LOL. But I guess if I had to pin down a city, I'd say it's Boston for me.

Halloween - well, I just always think of Texas since that's where I raised my kids and where we've spent many a fun Halloween! I don't like for it to be too cold on Halloween. When I watched "To Kill A Mockingbird" the Halloween in that movie struck me as something I could relate to. That movie is set in Alabama. Scout was a ham! LOL

My best Christmases were in the Ozark Mountains in Arkansas probably, with family - my parents used to live up there. It was cold and frosty but sunny outside, and that's the way I like it at Christmas.

Easter is crazy. I HATE it when it's early and cold and everyone is trying to make it seem like a warm, spring day. But when it's warmer, I really like it. I always think of Easter in the south.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 08:08 AM

11,117 posts, read 14,791,774 times
I think the places that pop into your head when you think of certain holidays are definitely tied to where you grew up. Earlier in the thread when someone mentioned St. Patrick's day my first thought was "Chicago, where else?" I never even thought of anyplace else, and I'll put that down to my Midwestern upbringing.

Old 10-31-2019, 10:12 AM

7,831 posts, read 9,680,614 times
Halloween

Massachusetts ( Salem)
New York (upstate, Albany/Saratoga Springs/Poughkeepsie) Sleepy Hollow, Headless Horseman

Christmas

Vermont ( naturally)
Maine
Wisconsin
Minnesota

Old 10-31-2019, 10:12 AM

5,331 posts, read 2,038,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Love the Norman Rockwell paintings.

Christmas story was shot in wva I think. Loves that movie. Really captures Christmas in middle America

'Home for Christmas' was a portrait of downtown Stockbridge, MA where Norman Rockwell lived. Nearly every building in the 1967 oil painting still stands today. The town recreates the scene the first weekend of December every year. It even includes antique cars from that era staged along Main Street.

https://stockbridgechamber.org/visit...-at-christmas/

Old 10-31-2019, 03:14 PM

822 posts, read 891,720 times
New Years Day
1. California (Rose Parade and Bowl)
2. Maine (first sunrise)
3. Florida (time to move on from Christmas and snowbird down)

Martin Luther King Day
1. Georgia
2. Washington, DC
3. Illinois (Because that street name in Monopoly IRL now bears MLK's name)

Valentines Day
1. Nebraska
2. Missouri (Hallmark's HQ)
3. California (Roses get imported, along with some chocolate brands like Ghiradelli and the wines)

President's Day
1. Washington, DC
2. Virginia
3. New York

St Patrick's Day
1. Massachusetts
2. Illinois
3. New York

Easter
1. Florida
2. Texas (Bluebonnets in full bloom, Bible Belt stronghold)
3. Georgia (Masters Golf Tournament sometimes has its final round on Easter)

Memorial Day
1. New Jersey
2. Maryland
3. Washington DC

Independence Day aka Fourth of July
1. Pennsylvania
2. Washington DC
3. New York (Statue of Liberty, enough said)

Labor Day
1. New York (the U.S. Open around this time, and approaching 9/11)
2. Maine (nice segue from summer to autumn up there)
3. New Jersey

Columbus Day
1. New Jersey
2. Florida
3. New York

Indigenous Peoples' Day
1. California
2. Washington
3. Oregon

Halloween
1. Massachusetts
2. New York
3. Louisiana
4. Michigan
5. New Jersey
6. California
7. Oregon
8. Pennsylvania
9. Florida
10. Ohio

Veterans Day
1. Washington DC (Arlington)
2. Hawaii
3. Colorado
4. Maryland
5. New York

Thanksgiving
1. Massachusetts
2. New York
3. Texas (specifically Dallas)
4. Michigan
5. Rhode Island

Christmas
1. New York
2. Pennsylvania (from Pennsylvania folks are traveling down to Dixie's sunny shores)
3. Vermont (White Christmas)
4. Colorado
5. Indiana
6. Illinois
7. Ohio
8. Minnesota
9. Alaska
10. Tennessee (country songs, southernmost chance for a reasonable shot of a White Christmas)

Old 11-01-2019, 09:19 AM

1,684 posts, read 1,046,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Maybe that's where it was filmed...? But the movie is based in NW Indiana, I believe--talks about Lake Michigan, the Bears, Terre Haute, etc.
Yeah, A Christmas Story was set in the author's hometown: Hammond Indiana, right near Gary & Chicago. I think the story slightly changed the town's name & locations, but..

This is a cool thread, and I concur w/a lot earlier posts. I identify Midwest with Halloween (especially Illinois, bcuz it's the stated setting of the original Halloween movie).
I liked the post that included Columbus Day, which I first & foremost identify with NYC (& by extension New York state), bcuz of Italian pride, Columbus circle, etc.

I identify Thanksgiving with Michigan, I think bcuz of Lions football Thanksgiving day.

Old 11-01-2019, 09:25 AM

11,261 posts, read 22,709,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsenorNouel View Post
Great choices, as for "A Christmas story", that movie was bases in Ohio (Cleveland area)
Actually it was Hammond, Indiana which borders Chicago. I think they changed a letter in the name of the town for the movie itself to provide a little ambiguity, but it was Hammond.

Old 11-06-2019, 08:29 PM

483 posts, read 193,080 times
Halloween: Pennsylvania, Illinois, Georgia

Christmas: New York (because of NYC), Florida (was there a lot during Christmas when younger), Vermont, Massachusetts

Old 11-07-2019, 06:54 AM
Status: "The collective consience doesn't like detail" (J L Burke)" (set 29 days ago)

12,668 posts, read 7,774,618 times
Ground Hog Day -- Pennsylvania, of course -- although Flag Day (June 14) is also unique to the Keystone State.

FWIW, those critters are known as woodchucks (How much wood could a woodchuck chuck? -- if a woodchuck could chuck wood?)

They are classified as rodents (same as squirrels and rats) and need to be approached with caution -- as they can give a very nasty bite.

And in addition to the well-know Punxsutawney Phil. the Pennsylvania Lottery (fast league -- anybody remember the "General Patton" commercials?) has created "Gus"-- a claymation-type critter who peddles lottery tickets on TV.

And more yeas ago than I want to remember, an electronics store in Detroit did a "Greyhound to the ground hog" promotion -- featuring a long bus ride from the Motor City to the wilds of Jefferson County, breakfast at the Punxsutawney Country Club, (yes, Virginia, there is one https://www.facebook.com/punxsutawneycountryclub/) and a trip up to Gobbler's Knob (at sunrise) to roust the Guest of Honor from his hiding place.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 11-07-2019 at 07:53 AM..

Old 11-07-2019, 07:43 AM

5,417 posts, read 3,298,060 times
This has been a good post. For me holiday imagery can fit anywhere. For Christmas, sure it can be a snowy scene in a crowded downtown, a farm in Iowa, woods in rural Massachusetts or even Texas and California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or